Prospect Info: Aidan McDonough (will not sign this year; returning for senior year in NCAA)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep, lifelong pals with Jack Rathbone....of course Rathbone isn't signed yet and McDonough has to considered a bit of a wildcard in earning a contract, unless he lights it up at Northeastern. But probably increases the odds of the Canucks eventually signing both.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Old, low-producing USHL guy is superficially not encouraging but will give Brackett the benefit of the doubt here. Did have a strong finish to the season - 36 points in his last 32 games - and a strong playoffs.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
This is a really interesting pick when you look at his developmental curve.

Was only 5'8" at age 16 then seemed to have quite a growth spurt. Seems to have transitioned from High School to the USHL pretty seamlessly and his rate of production got better as the season went on.

I watch plenty of Northeastern anyways, so I'll definitely have the chance to see him play lots next season.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
interesting guy. late onset growth spurt 5'8"-6'3" guy who has only played one year of ushl and previously emphasized high school prep hockey. he's kind of a rathbone/tanev hybrid in terms of delayed career.

Reactions: F A N

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is a really interesting pick when you look at his developmental curve.

Was only 5'8" at age 16 then seemed to have quite a growth spurt. Seems to have transitioned from High School to the USHL pretty seamlessly and his rate of production got better as the season went on.

I watch plenty of Northeastern anyways, so I'll definitely have the chance to see him play lots next season.

Have you had a chance to scope this kid out so far? If so how's he looking?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Have you had a chance to scope this kid out so far? If so how's he looking?

Just stat watching but he started slow but then got bumped to Madden's line and has 3G 5A 8P in 10GP (including the 2 assists from tonight). Need to keep in mind he's 3 days older than Madden.

Reactions: F A N

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Interesting stuff but well over 80% of our 7th rounders didn't even ever have interesting minor league careers, probably more than that.

Dixon Ward (88) and Doug Lidster (80) are the best 7th rounders in Canuck history the 3rd best is.....Jason King and Brandon Reid....yikes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
McDonough with a three point effort tonight on a line with Madden at Northeastern....How does Brackett do it? Does anyone else wonder why another NHL team in the States hasn't poached him by now.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
McDonough with a three point effort tonight on a line with Madden at Northeastern....How does Brackett do it? Does anyone else wonder why another NHL team in the States hasn't poached him by now.

Well there are only 31 NHL Director of amateur scouting positions and Brackett occupies one of them. Despite "rumours" being spread about there being a rift between Benning and Brackett they are unsubstantiated rumours. It's a cushy job and Brackett has been working for the Canucks for over 10 years. I wonder what Brackett and his USHL scouts thought of Caufield and Boldy. Caulfield has had a seamless transition while Boldy appears to be struggling to adjust to the college game.

Anyhow, McDonough is looking like a solid bottom 6 forward prospect that is badly needed in this organization (especially if Lockwood doesn't sign here)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Correction: 9p in 10GP after a 3 point game last night. Not bad. Will probably need to stay around PPG to remain relevant as a prospect.

Reactions: lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad