Prospect Info: Aidan McDonough (will not sign this year; returning for senior year in NCAA)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Expectations need to be managed for McDonough. He's in his draft +4 year. He's only 20 months younger than Boeser and this is Boeser's 7th year in the NHL. He's 16 months younger than Lockwood and Lockwood has played 3 years of professional hockey despite his early injury issues.

Hey, I hope his game translates. But it seems like NHL/AHL tweener is his upside. Anything beyond that is a homerun.
An AHL regular for the organization is pretty good for a 7th rounder. That is my expectation as well. Anything better, like ya say, homerun

Lockwood, however, 3rd round pick in a draft we had almost no draft picks after finishing 2nd last. Benning was suppose to be a draft guru too, so Lockwood had a lot of unfair expectations on him, and now he is a AHL/NHL tweener which seems like a disappointment when maybe thats unfair

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see a lot of scouting services that follow the Canucks prospects continue to be concerned about McDonough's skating.

But for a seventh round draft pick, it's hard to argue with the way he's been trending. But for context, McDonough will turn 24 just after next fall's training camp.. This puts him two years older than Bains, Aman, and Hoglander; and even a year older than Karlsson. And he's three years older than Podkolzin and four years older than Klimovich.

So at the bare minimum, McDonough needs to be able to step in as an AHL-regular next season. Anything less, and he becomes a bit of a longshot for the NHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Assuming McDonough reports directly to the Canucks when he signs, and burns off the first year of his ELC.

Assume also that this means that he won't be able to report to Abbotsford when the Canucks are done? Of if he can at least for the remainder of the regular season, he wouldn't be eligible for the AHL playoffs?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
There will be a lot of players competing for 12 forward positions on the Canucks next year. Lots of young forwards

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

WHen guys move here on short notice do we have people who help them settled in? Sure he’s older, and coming 24, but he is coming out of college. He’s likely been taken care of rather than taking care of himself.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Assuming McDonough reports directly to the Canucks when he signs, and burns off the first year of his ELC.

Assume also that this means that he won't be able to report to Abbotsford when the Canucks are done? Of if he can at least for the remainder of the regular season, he wouldn't be eligible for the AHL playoffs?

i don't believe he'd be eligible for the ahl playoffs either way since he missed the roster cutoff date. could be wrong though, i'm not sure how it applies to a player in mcdonough's situation

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
WHen guys move here on short notice do we have people who help them settled in? Sure he’s older, and coming 24, but he is coming out of college. He’s likely been taken care of rather than taking care of himself.

Sports teams usually have a condo that's leased/owned, and allow a player to stay there for a grace period so they can find accommodations. Since his best friend is here, I imagine they'll room together eventually.

Likely a similar situation w/ transportation. The rest of the stuff they're probably told where they can get groceries/cell phone etc.

Reactions: Fatass

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Something is for sure, this organization is good at convincing people to stay, or Join.

Kuzmenko was massive, and keeping a Prospect going into his last year is very difficult, well done also.

I wonder if they can get into the big D college market

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad