Prospect Info: Aidan McDonough (will not sign this year; returning for senior year in NCAA)

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
So, his season is done. Not much talk about it from what I can see. Had a great season. Has size and hands. I’m hoping he signs after he proved he could do it without Madden.

thoughts?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So, his season is done. Not much talk about it from what I can see. Had a great season. Has size and hands. I’m hoping he signs after he proved he could do it without Madden.

thoughts?

I hope the Canucks sign him. He's an older prospect whom is ready to take the next step. Is it a bit early to sign him to an AHL contract for the rest of the year?

Looks like Northeastern wasn't a good team this year and despite the points he's a -3. He was a -4 last year as well (in comparison Madden was a +4). Anyone watched him and can comment on his defensive game?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Where would he develop better? A junior year in the NCAA or in the A. Pretty much what it should come down to.

he has a late birthday and was eligible for 2018 but didn’t get selected. He should actually be 3 years post draft.

is he ready for the challenge of the A? He will have to decide that. Don’t see the Canucks giving him a nhl deal just an ATO.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I hope the Canucks sign him. He's an older prospect whom is ready to take the next step. Is it a bit early to sign him to an AHL contract for the rest of the year?

Looks like Northeastern wasn't a good team this year and despite the points he's a -3. He was a -4 last year as well (in comparison Madden was a +4). Anyone watched him and can comment on his defensive game?
No don’t think so, other college players who’s seasons have ended have already signed.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Where would he develop better? A junior year in the NCAA or in the A. Pretty much what it should come down to.

he has a late birthday and was eligible for 2018 but didn’t get selected. He should actually be 3 years post draft.

is he ready for the challenge of the A? He will have to decide that. Don’t see the Canucks giving him a nhl deal just an ATO.
Good call, I think with his size he should be able to adjust to the AHL and I think he would likely develop better there.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Hopefully signs in the next few days and this isnt drawn way out and all the speculation to begin he may go 4 years and sing somewhere else. That is NOT what this team needs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hopefully signs in the next few days and this isnt drawn way out and all the speculation to begin he may go 4 years and sing somewhere else. That is NOT what this team needs
This a HF boards thing that has no basis for it. who was the last guy the Canucks could not sign?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I remember Burke's bluster well during that time. When he was drafted he was compared to Linden (unfair to him) and then he got skewered by Burke for asking for the rookie max or something like that.

Reactions: F A N

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As a '99 if McDonough is any sort of prospect he should be signed now and given a nice run of games in the weakened AHL. Perfect opportunity to break him in at that level.

Reactions: petka

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I remember Burke's bluster well during that time. When he was drafted he was compared to Linden (unfair to him) and then he got skewered by Burke for asking for the rookie max or something like that.

Then he signed Kesler for what Umberger was asking for.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Then he signed Kesler for what Umberger was asking for.

Burke's hubris was his Achilles Heel (well, that and evaluating goalies). The Umberger and Peter Schaefer situations both grate on me, even after almost 2 decades. In both cases, the players were asking for completely reasonable deals in line with other comparable players around the league, and Burke decided he was going to absurdly lowball them and try to bully them into taking bad deals, and then when they (obviously) didn't he went to the media and shat all over the players with his 'Drive them to the airport!' type rants. Embarrassing sideshow stuff that hurt the team for the sake of his massive ego.

In Schaefer's case he managed to wiggle his way out of it (after losing the asset for a year in a holdout when he would have been a pretty handy player for us) with the Salo trade, but in the case of Umberger he completely pissed away a guy who was a quality #2 center in the NHL for a decade.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
In Schaefer's case he managed to wiggle his way out of it (after losing the asset for a year in a holdout when he would have been a pretty handy player for us) with the Salo trade, but in the case of Umberger he completely pissed away a guy who was a quality #2 center in the NHL for a decade.
I agree with your point in general but the characterization of what the team lost in Umberger is pretty off. He played 11 seasons, scored more than 40 points in 5 of them, and over his last 5 seasons averaged 30 pts/80 games.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The going rate was 1.1 million max deal for prospects at the time. Umbergers fellow draft peers (2001) were all getting 1.1. Umberger wanted the same. He also had a good season that year. Burke offered 650k or something when Kessler signed signed for 850k. It was a slap in the face also r.j out scored kesler although he’s also 2 years older. Umberger willing to sign for 950 k in the end, but because Burke believe kesler is better and should have more money and he should not have a higher entry level contract and that he needs to play for his contract. Terrible.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
in the case of Umberger he completely pissed away a guy who was a quality #2 center in the NHL for a decade.

I don’t think he was effective for that long but agree with everything else you said. He would have been a top 6 C or winger with size. Something we have been constantly looking for since the beginning of time. All this was made worse by essentially trading a kid 2nd for Rucinsky. Imagine if we drafted Krejci. Of course we could have also ended up with Oreskovich or Booth... oh wait...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad