Movies: 1917 (Directed by Sam Mendes)

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Soooooo Saving Private Ryan with the Dunkirk soundtrack?

In all seriousness, I see they're starting to do more films about WWI, which probably has a lot to do with having exhausted WWII as a venue. I always felt the visceral brutality of WWI and trench warfare was something that'd be impossible for a film to capture - and other than Peter Jackson's recent documentary, that's mostly been true.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm down for any WWI films, since there aren't many of them. This looks like it could be really good, as well, which is even better.

Soooooo Saving Private Ryan with the Dunkirk soundtrack?

I got a Galipoli vibe, as well, since that's also about braving the WWI battlefield to deliver important messages.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
At least it's WWI instead of WW2. Still, I'm kind of burned out on war movies in general.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
For once I would like a war movie to show how catastrophic exosions are. Concussive force and shrapnel were a thing......

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Apparently they make it seem like it was a continuous one shot take. Obviously it isn't because far too much time passes from day to night.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Apparently they make it seem like it was a continuous one shot take. Obviously it isn't because far too much time passes from day to night.

I dunno. The day scenes look like they could be late in the afternoon, shortly before dusk. If so, it's conceivable that it could be dark two hours later. Regardless, I like the idea of the whole movie taking place over 2/2.5 hours. As they suggested, the sense of real time should help the immersion.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I dunno. The day scenes look like they could be late in the afternoon, shortly before dusk. If so, it's conceivable that it could be dark two hours later. Regardless, I like the idea of the whole movie taking place over 2/2.5 hours. As they suggested, the sense of real time should help the immersion.

The video I linked clearly shows them waiting for the weather to change to what it was previously, so it's not literal one-take but but rather meant to look like one.

Reactions: kihei

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The video I linked clearly shows them waiting for the weather to change to what it was previously, so it's not literal one-take but but rather meant to look like one.

Yes, I was just responding to the part about too much time passing between day and night for it to even look like one.

My guess is that they're doing what Alfonso Cuaron did with Children of Men, except over the entire movie. That film was praised for its innovative action shots of up to 3 minutes long each that were not actually one take in each case, but several stitched together to give the illusion of one. For example, whenever the screen gets really dark, light or cloudy, such as when moving from outdoor to indoor, vice-versa or when the screen is filled with smoke, it's an opportunity to stitch a scene that ends with that to a scene that begins with that (and, then, maybe digitally smooth out the transition). In that way, 1917 might look like one 2-hour-long take, even though it isn't. I hope that that's what they're doing because that would be pretty neat, IMO.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yes, I was just responding to the part about too much time passing between day and night for it to even look like one.

My guess is that they're doing what Alfonso Cuaron did with Children of Men, except over the entire movie. That film was praised for its innovative action shots of up to 3 minutes long each that were not actually one take in each case, but several stitched together to give the illusion of one. For example, whenever the screen gets really dark, light or cloudy, such as when moving from outdoor to indoor, vice-versa or when the screen is filled with smoke, it's an opportunity to stitch a scene that ends with that to a scene that begins with that (and, then, maybe digitally smooth out the transition). In that way, 1917 might look like one 2-hour-long take, even though it isn't. I hope that that's what they're doing because that would be pretty neat, IMO.
Deakins talks about it here. This has the potential to really be something with Deakins at the helm.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I almost bumped this thread the other day when I noticed that it has a 93% critic score at RT.

I like this quote:
Aaron Neuwirth said:
1917 not only works as a thrilling piece of filmmaking but a cinematic work of art relying on performance as much as spectacle.

It sounds like might it be a nice answer to the disappointments over The Rise of Skywalker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad