Movies: 1917 (Directed by Sam Mendes)

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Sometimes 1917 reminded me a little of a video game (soldier moving forward, filmed from the back), but this is a very good film. Nothing like Dunkirk, more moody and personal. Hope it finds an audience. Deakens' cinematography sometimes took my breath away.

My wife said the very same thing. I had a slightly different take somewhat related to Tolkien and his influences. It felt like a quest straight out of a fantasy novel or myth. Surreal lighting and imagery, mixed with ruins, beautiful landscapes and haunting music that compelled the character to move forward.

Reactions: Howard Beale

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Good acting. Beautifully shot. Not enough action or suspense. Overall IMO a really good not Great War movie.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
One of the best movies I’ve ever seen in terms of how it was done. So much so it was distracting me from the acting/story - I need to watch it again

I liked it more the second time. Though I still have some issues with pacing, it’s an extremely thrilling and fantastic film. The climax is right up there among my favorite of the year. Gave me goosebumps both times I watched it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I liked it but going to the movie with a brother who is a Major in the army and studied history was a bad idea. A few issue with historic facts etc but overall a good movie.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I liked it more the second time. Though I still have some issues with pacing, it’s an extremely thrilling and fantastic film. The climax is right up there among my favorite of the year. Gave me goosebumps both times I watched it.
I feel like I know what your issue was but I'd imagine that's what WW1 was like a lot of the time, at least outside the trench battles, lots of moments of calm and nothing happening interspersed by super intense fire fights. I thought the pacing was entirely appropriate given that this was more or less a minute to minute war POV movie.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I feel like I know what your issue was but I'd imagine that's what WW1 was like a lot of the time, at least outside the trench battles, lots of moments of calm and nothing happening interspersed by super intense fire fights. I thought the pacing was entirely appropriate given that this was more or less a minute to minute war POV movie.

Yeah I guess is wasn’t as much that I thought the pacing was bad or poorly done, but those downtimes didn’t always have my attention as much as I’d like.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I might go watch it a second time, but I will close my eyes when:

when the one soldier slips and braces himself when he notices his just cut left hand is in the gut of a corpse, and I thought right before the climatic scene where he had to swim through bloated corpses to get out of the water was a bit overdone, I think by then we know the war was a brutal one

Also the actor who played the chubby Blake, they must have asked him to put on a lot of weight for this role because when I see photos of the actor he's pretty thin and in shape.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Decent movie. I don't love it and I don't hate it. It seems like one mishap after another happens. Not fan at all of the German pilot arc but that's common. Beautiful pictures.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I think that's part of the point. It makes the intense moments that much more shocking.

Oh I don't disagree. The point of those is totally fine. I don't think the reasoning or decision making is wrong, but it just didn't unfortunately totally work for me.

Still love this movie, though. It's a Top 10 of the year for me.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I loved it. Seemed like he dilly-dallied a little bit at the end with the girl and baby, in the river, and listening to the song. Kept thinking “Dude! HURRY UP. People will die if you don’t get that message out ASAP”.

Other than that, super cool movie. I saw that “WW1 in color” movie last year and I couldn’t help but remember how when these people came back home to England they were either welcomed back with “Veterans need not apply” signs everywhere or civilians flat out didn’t care that there was a huge, awful war that these kids were fighting and dying in.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
saw it today, it was beautifully shot, really made you feel like you were in the trenches or at least gave one a better feel of what it might have been like. Overall though I thought the movie was just ok as far as war movies go.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Saw it, didn't think it was any special or better than Dunkirk.

The praise its gotten and awards is a little odd after seeing it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Fantastic movie, but I suggest that people are getting confused at what it is IMHO. To me, it was a suspense film shot in a war setting based on the events from WWI. I don't think it was a war film with suspense, it had a great amount of emotion without having a ton of actual battles per say. I personally like these type of movies much more than the Saving Private Ryan stuff which tends to be over the top and everyone dying in the end.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I finally saw it last night. I loved it, came out of the theater thinking it was absolutely robbed of the Oscar for best film last year. As I saw Parasite just a few days ago and while I enjoyed Parasite quite a bit I didn't love it like I did 1917.

However, my thoughts of 1917 being robbed of the Oscar lasted all of about 18 hours. Just finished watching Ford Vs. Ferrari and, especially as someone who has always been a racing enthusiast, that might have been the best movie I've ever seen.

2019 was an incredible year for movies tbh, like possibly the best ever to this point.

Ford Vs. Ferrari, Parasite, 1917, Uncut Gems, Joker, Marriage Story, Avengers: Endgame... And that's just out of the ones I've had the chance to see so far. Still like 10 more highly regarded films I haven't had the chance to check out yet.

Incredible year really.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just watched it. It really deserved the Oscar for cinematography. Some really great shots and overall camerawork. But the story or plot was fairly simple and while I appreciated the straightforward heroism tale, it felt a bit...lacking of something. Clear 9+/10 anyway. From the Oscar nominated films, I've seen all but The Irishman, Little Women and Marriage Story now (don't have interest for the last two). Jojo Rabbit is still my favorite but I put this right after it with Knives Out, Parasite and Ford v Ferrari. Even with it's fault(s), this movie highlighted to me that Joker didn't deserve to be named in the same group as the other film I've seen. It felt so underwhelming compared to these great movies.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad