Movies: 1917 (Directed by Sam Mendes)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I almost bumped this thread the other day when I noticed that it has a 93% critic score at RT.

I like this quote:

It sounds like might it be a nice answer to the disappointments over The Rise of Skywalker.
Yup I think I'm going to bypass the craziness that is star wars for this movie over Christmas.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sometimes 1917 reminded me a little of a video game (soldier moving forward, filmed from the back), but this is a very good film. Nothing like Dunkirk, more moody and personal. Hope it finds an audience. Deakens' cinematography sometimes took my breath away.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Sometimes 1917 reminded me a little of a video game (soldier moving forward, filmed from the back), but this is a very good film. Nothing like Dunkirk, more moody and personal. Hope it finds an audience. Deakens' cinematography sometimes took my breath away.

Your reviews of both this and Uncut Gems have me excited. Will be seeing them both in the next week. Can’t wait.

Reactions: kihei

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Still have to wait for mid-January. This, Uncut Gems, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Knives Out are the 4 big ones left in 2019 I want to see.

In terms of cinematography, I know 1917 is easily going to clean up for awards (Deakins + the illusion of one shot is just too much), but in your opinion is it the best you've seen this year? The Lighthouse seems like it would be really difficult to top for me.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

AtThey are sure to win an Oscar for best make up for so convincingly portraying a Tommy that took a flame thrower to the face.

1917-2019-benedict-cumberbatch-universal-pictures.png

Man the Jerrys just held it there!

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Deakins really is must-viewing.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Still have to wait for mid-January. This, Uncut Gems, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Knives Out are the 4 big ones left in 2019 I want to see.

In terms of cinematography, I know 1917 is easily going to clean up for awards (Deakins + the illusion of one shot is just too much), but in your opinion is it the best you've seen this year? The Lighthouse seems like it would be really difficult to top for me.
Honest answer: I don't know anymore. Before seeing Deakins astonishing work in 1917, I would have given the cinematography award hands down to The Lighthouse, and I might still. But Deakins' work is phenomenal in 1917. It's not just the one-cut illusion, but the quality of the shots that he gets throughout the film. There is a scene with giant shadows flickering wildly on a bombed-out French village at night that is one of the most breathtaking scenes I have ever seen, and he got that with everything else going on.

Here's a good read about the shoot:

How '1917' Cinematographer Roger Deakins Pulled Off Sam Mendes' One-Shot WWI Film

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Really amazing film. Incredible how they shot it as if it's a one-shot film too. Only one clear/obvious cut in the entire film and it's just to pass time.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1917 just won best picture (drama) at the Golden Globes. Not my pick but close enough, and very well deserved.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
1917 just won best picture (drama) at the Golden Globes. Not my pick but close enough, and very well deserved.

Speaking of which, that was one of the more awkward GGs in recent memory, and that’s saying something. Awkward humour by Gervais, and probably the most awkward walk and speech by Zellweger I’ve seen. Avoids all contact walking up to the stage and follows it up with this weird, rambling prolonged speech.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Speaking of which, that was one of the more awkward GGs in recent memory, and that’s saying something. Awkward humour by Gervais, and probably the most awkward walk and speech by Zellweger I’ve seen. Avoids all contact walking up to the stage and follows it up with this weird, rambling prolonged speech.

And am I crazy or was she just bitterly throwing shade at everyone?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This is scheduled for wide release this weekend, so the GG win will probably help it to a pretty big weekend, as it will have a lot of buzz. I'm hoping it makes my local theatre so I can check it out.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Everybody is raving about the cinematography and the (seemingly) one-shot format, but there is a lot, lot more to this movie than that. 1917 is a study in heroism devoid of schlock, pseudo-patriotism and sentimentality.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Nothing beats All quiet on the western front
Agree, a classic.

A few other good ones come to mind...

'A Farewell to Arms' the Hemingway story and 'Sergeant York' both movies starring Gary Cooper

'Paths of Glory' with Kirk Douglas

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Sometimes you have expectations for a movie. And you see that movie. And that movie is exactly what you expected it to be. No surprises (positive or negative). Delivers exactly on its promise.

1917 was that movie. An impressive technical achievement on all levels. It grips you and quickens your pulse as promised. Oddly I don't feel like I have much to say beyond that. It wouldn't be my pick for best picture, but the Academy Awards history is littered with far worse decisions that this, if this winds up being a (surprise?) winner in a month or so.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Pattysaurus

Oct 28, 2007
New York
Saw it yesterday and thought that it was brilliant.

One scene in particular:
So many great shots in this film but absolutely loved the scene after Schofield regains consciousness and it's night out.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
One of the most hauntingly beautiful movies I have seen. Some of the shots are just amazing. A lock for Cinematography at the Oscars.

The movie is also incredibly well done, you are on the edge of your seat hanging on the whims of what will happen next. I also love the grittier look it takes at war, certainly not glamorizing or celebrating it at all.

Definitely a contender for my favourite of the Best Picture nominees.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So it last night. Absolutely amazing film! Obviously the picture was awesome, I think my favourite part was when they were traveling through the German trenches at the start, it was such a tense atmosphere.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this and so many of the critics are lukewarm on it. I can't say it's the best movie I've seen in a while necessarily but it's certainly one of the most enthralling cinematic experiences of my life. It engrossed me at times at the sheer technical mastery involved with the one shot camera/editing dynamics, moments of the film literally took my breath away at times, and I was properly invested emotionally. Everything about this film works and works masterfully. The only thing you can say it doesn't do well is get down and dirty with the higher personal and human stakes of war. At least that's what the critics are saying but I also think that on one hand the "higher statements/messages" have been done to absolute death in this genre. Mendes does fantastic work conveying what he wants to say about war in very subtle and quiet ways, often through elements in the scenery like the soldiers huddled against the walls of the trenches to give one example.

1917 is meant to be an action thrill ride in the vein of Gravity or even, say, Mad Max. Why critics are so demanding that the film be deeper and more developed is beyond me and it makes me think that many of them missed the point. Regardless, 1917 is definitely a movie that will be remembered for a long time and anyone reading this on the fence about seeing it absolutely has to get to the theater at least once to see this properly.

FWIW my favorite shot of the film was when Scofield was floating down the river and cherry blossoms started falling into the river and all around him, calling attention back to Blake's short monologue about cherry blossoms and putting the film in this very serene state after Scofield barely escaped a war zone with his life. Then as he continues to float along he bumps into the bloated corpses of dead German soldiers, snapping the movie back to the ugly reality Scofield was in. One of my favorite cinematic shots in a long long time.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I feel like anyone that has a disconnect with this movie has a disconnect with WW1 in general. It has largely been forgotten by popular culture. It was an insane, futile, brutal war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad