NHL Entry Draft #19 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Mid rounds

Interesting, thanks to @Sens of Anarchy, @Sen sational, and @stempniaksen, too

I dont like his older brother but some people have had absolutely glowing reviews of him.

@aragorn, Afanasyev seems like an interesting player. Korczak and Foote too although it seems like they might be gone by then

I have always been impressed by Okhotoyuk, too.... strong, nasty, physical, good skater and passer. Smart too. I could see him going anywhere from the early 2nd to the mid, even late 3rd.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Gah damn Kakko is going to make a run for the best Finnish player ever.

Hands like Datsyuk, power like Forseberg.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Anybody with any sleeper names? I feel like the 12-32 range has kinda been beaten to death :laugh:

I have some time on my hands this afternoon and wouldn't mind doing a deep dive on guys rated from the 3rd round on.

In the second round: Albin Grewe, Egor Afanasyev, Nolan Foote,

After the second round: Maxim Cajkovic Karl Henriksson, Billy Constantino, Massimo Rizzo, Ethan Keppen, Dillon Hanaliuk, Logan Barlage, Xavier Simmoneau, Zachary Okabe

If I think of others I will add them

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Assuming these players are off the board before we pick . Numerical order is just to count to 18 not a rank.
  1. Hughes
  2. Kakko
  3. Byram
  4. Turcotte
  5. Dach
  6. Cozens
  7. Krebs
  8. Podkolzin
  9. Caufield
  10. Newhook
  11. Zegras
  12. Boldy
  13. Kaliyev
  14. Lavoie
  15. Broberg
  16. Seider
  17. York
  18. Soderstrom
Who we taking?
Possibilities include but not limited to; (if they play the wing , if they shoot left , I indicated LW.. some of these guys would play both)
Harley LD, Heinola LD, Bjornfot LD, Matthew Robertson LD , Vlasic LD, Brink RW, Dorofeyev LW, Tomasino C, Suzuki, C, McMIchael C, Poulin LW, Afanasyev LW, Rees C, Tracey LW, Leason RW

Who do you like there ?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Assuming these players are off the board before we pick . Numerical order is just to count to 18 not a rank.
  1. Hughes
  2. Kakko
  3. Byram
  4. Turcotte
  5. Dach
  6. Cozens
  7. Krebs
  8. Podkolzin
  9. Caufield
  10. Newhook
  11. Zegras
  12. Boldy
  13. Kaliyev
  14. Lavoie
  15. Broberg
  16. Seider
  17. York
  18. Soderstrom
Who we taking?
Possibilities include but not limited to; (if they play the wing , if they shoot left , I indicated LW.. some of these guys would play both)
Harley LD, Heinola LD, Bjornfot LD, Matthew Robertson LD , Vlasic LD, Brink RW, Dorofeyev LW, Tomasino C, Suzuki, C, McMIchael C, Poulin LW, Afanasyev LW, Rees C, Tracey LW, Leason RW

Who do you like there ?
I'm going Suzuki here. Also like Tomasino but that might be reaching a bit at 19.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
  1. Hughes
  2. Kakko
  3. Byram
  4. Turcotte
  5. Dach
  6. Cozens
  7. Krebs
  8. Podkolzin
  9. Caufield
  10. Newhook
  11. Zegras
  12. Boldy
  13. Kaliyev
  14. Lavoie
  15. Broberg
  16. Seider
  17. York
  18. Soderstrom
Who we taking?

Who do you like there ?

Sens take Harley.

I trade down to within 4 picks for an extra 2nd, take Poulin or Tomasino.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They need depth at RD & RW, if Seider & Lavoie are gone by 19 I would take Leason RW at 19, Korczak RD at 32 & Afanasyev LW at 44, if he is still around. If not, I like Beecher who can play centre or LW which gives Ott some flexibility. I would not take a goalie in this draft, rather I'd wait to see what the goalies we have now in the system do next season & analyse whether we have a potential #1 goalie in the system or if they need to draft one in 2020. With two 1st rd picks in 2020 Ott could draft the best goalie available in that draft & hopefully he becomes the future #1. I also like Poulin, Robertson, McMichael & Harley in the first rd & Vlasic & Foote in the 2nd rd.

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Heinola/Afanasyev/Brink/Thompson if that's how it shakes out, but I'm gonna be honest, that would be just about a worst case scenario for me. Seeing York, Seider, Soderstrom come off the board right before our pick would be tough.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Oh I don't know.. Carey Price and Marc-Andre Fleury seemed to have turned out alright..
They sure have, that's 2. Would you like to go through the rest of them?

Since 2006 there has been 1 G selected in the 1st round who has become a starter in the NHL in Vasilevskiy. Everyone else has been a bad pick. Obviously teams agree using 1st's on G's is a waste, only 11 have been chosen in the past 13 drafts, and all but 1 have been disappointments.

Subban
Irving
McCallum
Pickard
Campbell
Visentin
Berner
Helenius
Varlamov
Samsonov
Oettinger

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234 and NB613

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I would be.

Never take a goalie in the 1st round.

I'm not advocating for a goalie with #19 but if they feel a goalie is an elite level talent and is the best player on the board, be it this draft, or any draft, why wouldn't you consider it?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm not advocating for a goalie with #19 but if they feel a goalie is an elite level talent and is the best player on the board, be it this draft, or any draft, why wouldn't you consider it?
Because odds are that isn't the correct assertion.

Since 2006 there has been 1 goalie who is now a starter for his team drafted in the 1st round out of the 11 goalies selected. It is just an unwise choice as goalie evaluation isn't as refined as players.

Right now, it looks like there has been 3 good goalie picks in the 1st since 2000 with Price, MAF (even then it's pretty controversial with the guys picked behind him), and Vasilevski. That's 19 drafts. Schnieder and Dubnyk a case can be made for the teams they were traded.

Teams don't select goalies with 1st's - Only 11 selected in 1st since 2006

When they do, the very, very large majority of picks were bad picks - Only starter drafted since 2006 in the 1st is Vasilevski

Last edited:

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Because odds are that isn't the correct assertion.

Since 2006 there has been 1 goalie who is now a starter for his team drafted in the 1st round out of the 11 goalies selected. It is just an unwise choice as goalie evaluation isn't as refined as players.

Right now, it looks like there has been 3 good goalie picks in the 1st since 2000 with Price, MAF (even then it's pretty controversial with the guys picked behind him), and Vasilevski. That's 19 drafts. Schnieder and Dubnyk a case can be made for the teams they were traded.

Teams don't select goalies with 1st's - Only 11 selected in 1st since 2006

When they do, the very, very large majority of picks were bad picks - Only starter drafted since 2006 in the 1st is Vasilevski

I mostly agree with you. But sometimes there are exceptions. I'm just saying if the team feels there is a once a decade type prospect in goal then I'm ok with taking that risk.

Reactions: Crosside

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
  1. Hughes
  2. Kakko
  3. Byram
  4. Turcotte
  5. Dach
  6. Cozens
  7. Krebs
  8. Podkolzin
  9. Caufield
  10. Newhook
  11. Zegras
  12. Boldy
  13. Kaliyev
  14. Lavoie
  15. Broberg
  16. Seider
  17. York
  18. Soderstrom
Who we taking?

Who do you like there ?

Based on your list my first thought would be to trade back a few spots and try to get another early 2nd. I like Afanasyev, Rees, Poulin and Leason. Maybe I would take one of the first 3 at 19 but I would hope they would be available later so we can trade back. I dont think I would take Leason until late first or second round given his overage status.

Reactions: Sen sational

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
No I'm good lol.

Just saying if there is a goalie they feel really strongly about in round 1, then I'm not opposed to it.

Why did we trade for Gustavsson then? Seems like a pretty big waste if we are just going to use more high ranked picks on goalies.

Aside from that we have Hogberg and Daccord. We shouldn't be in any rush to draft more goalies.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Hogberg and Daccord is good goalie but I don t think he turn in a number one goalie maybe a 1 b. Gus maybe a number one but no one he can steal a game by himself. Knight I think he can be in the 15 better starter in couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad