Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
So, I mean, we have Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Mantha, and Svechnikov now all down the wing. Surely this will FORCE Holland to have to trade a roster player within the next 3 years, no?

But fantasizing about Scechnikov-Larkin-Mantha running **** for the rest of time is an appealing thought, I tell ya what.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Using instagram to troll for women? Wat?

It's a joke.

So, I mean, we have Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Mantha, and Svechnikov now all down the wing. Surely this will FORCE Holland to have to trade a roster player within the next 3 years, no?

But fantasizing about Scechnikov-Larkin-Mantha running **** for the rest of time is an appealing thought, I tell ya what.

They were all too good to pass up, considering the defenders on the board at that point. Like I said in the other thread, I hope they stockpile some extra draft picks coming up to assure they'll be able to take more players they need to fill out the ranks.

Last edited:

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
Great player. I never thought in a million years that we would spend a first on a Russian, but it is awesome to see the brass get out of their comfort zone. You can do a ton worse than big and skilled.

Big skilled Russian who drives the net with the puck like a classic Russian scorer.
I love it.
If he sticks to the center switch, I'll be ecstatic for our new "ov" in the middle, I've missed that.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
if he can move to centre then my god he is going to be a beast and could easily be among the best 5 or 6 in this draft class

nyquist-svechnikov-mantha
tatar-larkin-jurco
athansiaou-sheahan-pulkinnen
bertuzzi-glendenning-holmstrom
nastisuk

while I know theirs lots of spelling errors with some fo those lads last names, my god thats a deep top 13

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
based on his game by game stats on QMJHL's site, svechnikov played C since late february (indicated by taking many faceoffs). he also played C in playoffs.

http://theqmjhl.ca/players/12485/00

that is consistent with posts on the thread about him in the prospects forum. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1690699&page=5

while playing C:
20p (9+11) in 9 games in regular season
7p (1+6) in 7 games in playoffs

that is above his production at W. he seems to have had increased TOI later in the season though due to injuries to teammates.

i'm not sure if he played more LW or RW. he was listed as LW in prospects section and on nhl.com, but QMJHL lists him as RW, and i've seen video of him at RW, so he may have spent roughly equal time at each position.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Corey Pronman's write-up

IRnrjWE.png

It's crazy to me that Holmstrom's name is included with Larkin's and Mantha's as "top-end prospect". Dude was the 196th pick a year ago. SO awesome. Even going to the Red Wings HF profile, Holmstrom is completely ignored in the "Top Prospects" category. 6.0 C? Unbelievable how much a year can change things.

I love the Svechnikov pick. I wanted Kylington, and I am still disappointed Kenny didn't trade up to snag him in the 2nd round, but when I heard Svechnikov's name, I immediately got really excited. I just thought they wouldn't draft him because he's a Russian forward! I guess it made me kind of just remove him from my mind as a possibility. Can't wait to see how he progresses next season.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
It's crazy to me that Holmstrom's name is included with Larkin's and Mantha's as "top-end prospect". Dude was the 196th pick a year ago. SO awesome. Even going to the Red Wings HF profile, Holmstrom is completely ignored in the "Top Prospects" category. 6.0 C? Unbelievable how much a year can change things.

I love the Svechnikov pick. I wanted Kylington, and I am still disappointed Kenny didn't trade up to snag him in the 2nd round, but when I heard Svechnikov's name, I immediately got really excited. I just thought they wouldn't draft him because he's a Russian forward! I guess it made me kind of just remove him from my mind as a possibility. Can't wait to see how he progresses next season.

Pronman is just a really big fan of Holmstrom. I'm not sure many others would include his name with those others like he does.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Pronman is just a really big fan of Holmstrom. I'm not sure many others would include his name with those others like he does.

Considering the season he had, it's fair to have him as a top50 prospect leaguewide. Don't think any euro junior player was close to his impact in a pro league, and he's still got one more season as a junior. He's the 2nd best Swedish -96 born behind Nylander.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Play him wherever he feels most comfortable. If that's center that's terrific. But anymore it's becoming just as difficult to find good wings for centers as it is to build from the middle-down. We have some promising talent at C to begin with. We already have solid young wingers. Larkin might be a top center someday. Sheahan appears to be a very solid 2nd center and we produce bottom 6 players (centers included) like an assembly line.

I view Svechnikov as a luxury, not an absolute need. I feel safe enough with Larkin to say that.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Has it been confirmed that Svech cannot play in the AHL next season?

I thought it was only Canadian kids drafted from the CHL that were age restricted.... but I guess it applies to Euros/Russians too?!?

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Has it been confirmed that Svech cannot play in the AHL next season?

I thought it was only Canadian kids drafted from the CHL that were age restricted.... but I guess it applies to Euros/Russians too?!?

No it goes off what league you were drafted from. He can play after the upcoming season though.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Red Wings uploaded some highlights of the draft weekend.

Nothing much in the first clip, just an intro

Dedicated to day 1 and drafting Svechnikov. Seems like he has Datsyuk's sense of humor.

"Evgeny...?"
"Malkin"

Day two.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Also noticed Svechnikov's name wasn't on the back? Either they didn't expect him to drop or someone picked their first choice (hopefully/probably the former). Thank you Boston?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Also noticed Svechnikov's name wasn't on the back? Either they didn't expect him to drop or someone picked their first choice (hopefully/probably the former). Thank you Boston?

I'm encouraged in a way by the fact that they took him over a defenseman or a true center. They must believe his upside to be substantial, or at least confident they can turn him into a center.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Considering the season he had, it's fair to have him as a top50 prospect leaguewide. Don't think any euro junior player was close to his impact in a pro league, and he's still got one more season as a junior. He's the 2nd best Swedish -96 born behind Nylander.

I'd rather have Kempe. He looked ridiculous in the AHL playoffs. He's going to be really ****ing good on the small ice.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Will Svechnikov be better than Nichushkin ya think?

I think the safe bet is Nichushkin, but I think they're close and I like Svechnikov's skill set a bit more as Nichushkin seems to be lacking outside of a pure pwf, Svech seems more versatile which I like. So yeah I do, but it's very close

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00