GDT: '19-'20 STANLEY CUP THREAD

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Would be youngest D to win Conn Smythe ever.

1 year younger than Bobby Orr.
I don't think he's on the level of Bobby Orr, but there have been Hall of Fame defenders who've had worse starts to their career. He's a GOOD young player. Dallas should have a lot of good years with him and he should have a few chances.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Holy shit I just now learned that Dallas has Corey Perry. Didn't even realize that f*** is still in the league.

(I've had a busy year, haven't been watching much playoffs)

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Why do I feel like that Brodeur commercial isn't that far off from reality?

"What time would you like to schedule your appointment sir?"

"3! Just like how many stanley cups I've won..."

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Tampa ties the series but man... I feel like Dallas has been better the majority of the time.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Tampa ties the series but man... I feel like Dallas has been better the majority of the time.

Dallas finished much stronger after giving up so much ground in the first period. So they had the momentum going, but Tampa weathered. I think that was a big deal they weather that comeback push. Completely changes who I think wins now.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Dallas finished much stronger after giving up so much ground in the first period. So they had the momentum going, but Tampa weathered. I think that was a big deal they weather that comeback push. Completely changes who I think wins now.

Perhaps. If I'm Dallas I feel like I've got a lot to take from Game 2. I feel like they've been the better team 5 on 5.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Perhaps. If I'm Dallas I feel like I've got a lot to take from Game 2. I feel like they've been the better team 5 on 5.

No secret Tampa is missing Stamkos right now. They've been able to overshadow his loss so well, but when you're in a tight one like this, it's hard not to imagine how much he could help tilt the ice.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
There's two things I am:
1) a regular Stars watcher who talks about them too often of this forum
2) a defender of all things goalie, who also talks about that too much here

And there's no way in hell I think Khudobin is the team MVP over Miro.
I have watched almost their entire playoffs and Khudobin looks like the clear front runner for their Conn Smythe to me. Maybe your fandom is influencing your opinion.

Its easy to get excited about a budding young superstar and want to thrust accolades on him. Miro is awesome and I enjoy watching him, but Khudobin basically stole an entire series for Dallas.

In the end, my hope is that Tampa wins and Hedman gets the Conn Smythe. He has been the best D-Men of these playoffs for me.

Reactions: 14ari13

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Its easy to get excited about a budding young superstar and want to thrust accolades on him. Miro is awesome and I enjoy watching him, but Khudobin basically stole an entire series for Dallas.

I'm genuinely curious what else Miro could potentially do. He's leading his team in points - from the blueline. He's producing the most at even strength, as well. He's second in plus/minus. He's playing over 25 minutes night. He plays all three phases of the game.

I'm curious how damn lofty his numbers would have to be to not be "excited about a budding young superstar."

He's doing superstar stuff now. No budding required. If this is "budding," he's going to be the next Bobby Orr in a year.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'm genuinely curious what else Miro could potentially do. He's leading his team in points - from the blueline. He's producing the most at even strength, as well. He's second in plus/minus. He's playing over 25 minutes night. He plays all three phases of the game.

I'm curious how damn lofty his numbers would have to be to not be "excited about a budding young superstar."

He's doing superstar stuff now. No budding required. If this is "budding," he's going to be the next Bobby Orr in a year.
Ok, so he IS an exciting young superstar. I still think Dallas is home watching the Vegas/Tampa finals without the play of Khudobin.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Man, do they beat Colorado without Heiskanen doing his thing? I really don’t think so

They don't beat Colorado without Denver's slew of injuries, especially to their goalies. Miro was very good that series, Khudobin was average, though he made some key saves at some key times.

I like Heiskanen as a player and I'm not here to talk down how freaking good he is. For me, Khudobin is their Conn Smythe regardless of how unpopular that opinion might be.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
No secret Tampa is missing Stamkos right now. They've been able to overshadow his loss so well, but when you're in a tight one like this, it's hard not to imagine how much he could help tilt the ice.

I'm trying to be realistic when it comes to Stamkos. If he were playing right now in a well conditioned manner I would think Tampa would have the upper hand in this series. But if he comes back, he'll start at, what, 70% (?) towards his best game playing shape?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm trying to be realistic when it comes to Stamkos. If he were playing right now in a well conditioned manner I would think Tampa would have the upper hand in this series. But if he comes back, he'll start at, what, 70% (?) towards his best game playing shape?

If he comes back, which is still very much up in the air, it won't be his regular season form. Which is a bummer. You want to see the best players out there during the biggest moments.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
That was about as dominant as I've seen a team play in a Stanley Cup Final. Dallas played well for about ten minutes at the end of the first, but besides that were embarrassed. Perhaps it's because the Lightning are my number 2 team, but it really feels like their cup to lose right now.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That was about as dominant as I've seen a team play in a Stanley Cup Final. Dallas played well for about ten minutes at the end of the first, but besides that were embarrassed. Perhaps it's because the Lightning are my number 2 team, but it really feels like their cup to lose right now.
I'd love to see Tampa finally get that Cup, but playoffs tend to be about how a team answers adversity.

If Dallas rebounds to take Game 4 and even the series, it's a different conversation.
If Tampa can withstand what will likely be a huge push by a desperate Stars team to start the next game, then they're clearly in the driver's seat to wrap things up in 5 or 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad