GDT: '19-'20 STANLEY CUP THREAD

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Stars had 11 shots on goal after 50 min. I believe 5 after 30.

Did not watch the game, just the highlights.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I will never view this as a "real" cup, but it's cool for Tampa to win it. Talent-wise they've had a cup-worthy roster for a few years so it's definitely no fluke.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I never liked the Sharks big three of Thornton, Marleau, and Pavelski when we were battling them a decade ago, but I've grown to respect Pavelski and felt a little sorry for him. Overall I still much preferred a Tampa victory, due to distaste for Perry and Seguin.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
I will never view this as a "real" cup, but it's cool for Tampa to win it. Talent-wise they've had a cup-worthy roster for a few years so it's definitely no fluke.

"Real" as in winning this cup was easier in comparison to the past?

If so, how was it easier?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
"Real" as in winning this cup was easier in comparison to the past?

If so, how was it easier?
No crowds means less pressure, no travel means less physical wear and tear and no home/away factor, on top of that players were rested going into the playoffs and word is some teams weren’t even that invested in playing in the bubbles (might be rumors).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
No crowds means less pressure, no travel means less physical wear and tear and no home/away factor, on top of that players were rested going into the playoffs and word is some teams weren’t even that invested in playing in the bubbles (might be rumors).
Every team was in the same situation. You play with the hand you are dealt. If you win, you earned it. If you don't, you didn't.

Should we put an asterisk on the pre-cap Detroit cup teams since they had the advantage of paying big money for all their star players compared to other teams?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Every team was in the same situation. You play with the hand you are dealt. If you win, you earned it. If you don't, you didn't.

Should we put an asterisk on the pre-cap Detroit cup teams since they had the advantage of paying big money for all their star players compared to other teams?
Not saying Tampa had any unfair advantage, just never had any true playoff feel to me. It’s just my opinion though, doesn’t affect statistics. I’d much rather watch a no salary cap league than a no crowds league for sure.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
Not saying Tampa had any unfair advantage, just never had any true playoff feel to me. It’s just my opinion though, doesn’t affect statistics. I’d much rather watch a no salary cap league than a no crowds league for sure.

I disagree with this. Yes, crowds, home/away factor do come into play, especially from a fan perspective. But for the players, at some point they all realize the hockey is the same and a championship as well as individual success is on the line. We had plenty of "kill or be killed" moments in these playoffs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Tampa a team that has struggled with big physical teams basically beat the 4 most physical teams in hockey consecutively. The Caps, Blues and Vegas are in that picture too, but the point is they went through a rough road, one that historically really gave them fits.

They actually lost one of their superstars to injury in the restart. In a lot of ways I thought this was a harder road than they probably get at the end of the regular season.

I left the this one doesn't count crowd as soon as they started playing. A couple of teams really struggled but the hockey was the playoff caliber I am used to. I disagree with people making less of this one and I am surprised at that opinion by the end of September given the playoffs I just watched.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I disagree with this. Yes, crowds, home/away factor do come into play, especially from a fan perspective. But for the players, at some point they all realize the hockey is the same and a championship as well as individual success is on the line. We had plenty of "kill or be killed" moments in these playoffs.

If anything, the bubble created one of the most pure hockey environments I've ever seen. It was strictly about the play on the ice and the outside distractions were basically non-existent.

It reminded me of youth hockey tournaments where you only have parents in the stands and all the teams staying in the same hotel for a long weekend.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Also none of the players could visit home for nearly 3 months. And there were multiple back to back games per series sometimes, and a lot of hockey every other day. This win is honestly more impressive than most Cup wins ever tbh.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->