Prospect Info: 188th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Matthew Brassard (Oshawa) | Unsigned, back into the draft

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Brassard had an assist on Oshawa's lone goal in a 6-1 loss this afternoon. They're now down 2-0 to Niagara (Brassard with a goal in the first game).

Perhaps the Canucks will be making a decision soon on this prospect. My guess is that he'll get some sort of deal, even if it's an ATO with Utica. He might not be very promising, but he's a big right-shot D, and we all know how thin the Canucks depth is.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Even if Brassard were to follow a similar career path to Evan McEneny is would be a big 'win' for a seventh round draft pick.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Oshawa was eliminated from the OHL playoffs tonight. Perhaps we'll learn soon about what plans the Canucks have for him, if any. (Brassard had 1 goal and 2 assists in 5 playoff games.)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Would be surprised if he gets the call to join Utica.....an overage season the OHL seems more likely....but seem to work well for a guy like McEneny.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Would be surprised if he gets the call to join Utica.....an overage season the OHL seems more likely....but seem to work well for a guy like McEneny.

He can still go back to the OHL next season if he joins Utica for the rest of their year. It's relatively common.

McEneny, for example, did this.

Dreamboat

Esports Caster
Feb 1, 2009
Victoria
twitter.com
I don’t think folks (at least ones who post real content) really griped about Liberati,

I remember being kind of upset by the Liberati pick. I had really wanted them to take Mac Weegar there. Both were undersized dmen, but weegar had been quite good in the Q while liberati didnt do much in the O

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I remember being kind of upset by the Liberati pick. I had really wanted them to take Mac Weegar there. Both were undersized dmen, but weegar had been quite good in the Q while liberati didnt do much in the O

Fair enough, but that’s a far cry from “waaah waaah waaah something something,” which OP claimed.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He can still go back to the OHL next season if he joins Utica for the rest of their year. It's relatively common.

McEneny, for example, did this.

McEneny showed in that one game with the Comets before going back to Jrs. the next season that there was actually something there.

McKenzie reported to Utica last season, practiced but didn't get a game, and went back to Jrs for this season. It's done all the time.

Comets are short 3 defensive starters at the moment. Signed and played a poor PTO last night and released him this morning. There is room for Brassard to get a look if only in practices. Get an early assessment before next year's camps.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I haven't heard anything about Brassard for a while, then I came across this in an article on Palmu in The Athletic:

Matt Brassard, who got hurt at the end of last season and, according to Benning, will require shoulder surgery that could keep him out until Christmas.
Brassard, 19, is expected to return for his overage season with the Oshawa Generals, after which the Canucks will make a decision on whether to sign him or not.

Analytics, the eye test and an interview helped sell the...

I knew he'd been injured, and many had assumed he would go back to junior for another year, but if it was confirmed, I missed it.

I wonder why he hasn't had the surgery by now.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Any word on his status? Shoulder surgery could be big or small.

He was tracking to start the year in the AHL, does he instead go back to juniors at 20 years old as an overager?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
AHL

He KILLED it last year

He's recovering from shoulder surgery until Christmas. He would have been touch-and-go to be in the AHL if he could have started there in October with a full summer of training. There is zero chance he gets dropped into an AHL roster completely raw mid-season. He'll be back in junior when healthy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lost track of the number of late round flyers the Canucks have taken on d-men, and then just walked away. But I guess the writing was on the wall when they signed another OHL'er Eliot to a free agent contract.

Just goes to show how the inflated offensive stats for junior d-men often doesn't translate into much...but I'm guessing the Canucks need to keep all their contract spots open heading into college free agency in case there's another guy then want to sign.

Reactions: lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lost track of the number of late round flyers the Canucks have taken on d-men, and then just walked away. But I guess the writing was on the wall when they signed another OHL'er Eliot to a free agent contract.

Just goes to show how the inflated offensive stats for junior d-men often doesn't translate into much...but I'm guessing the Canucks need to keep all their contract spots open heading into college free agency in case there's another guy then want to sign.

Common threads with all of Stewart/Neill/Olson/Gunnarsson/Candella/Brassard is that they couldn’t skate and had poor hockey sense. All were big bodies valued for one non-essential skill (hitting, fighting, hard shot, etc) while the two core skills for successful pro defenders - skating and IQ - were completely absent.

Inability to evaluate defenders runs all the way down through the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad