Prospect Info: 188th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Matthew Brassard (Oshawa) | Unsigned, back into the draft

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Actually Brassard had 4 points in 28 games in his draft year. Hes an overager

And yes I know it's a seventh round pick but they were both defenders who were very bland defenders. Bottom pairing AHL fodder

It's just a meh, whatever pick. Not saying it's wrong to draft for AHL depth but it's just underwhelming

It is wrong to draft for AHL depth.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Hes not really a defensive dman. 32 points in 62 games isnt that bad .

Got to remember this is CHL scoring not AHL/NHL... that .5 PPG generally translate to basically no scoring at higher levels. For comparison, the Generals had Mercier (undrafted) who scored 48pts in 58 games and Sompel (NYI 3rd) who had 37 in 37.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
What an underwhelming ending. Miles Liberati type 7th round pick, unspectacular defender with nothing that sets him apart. Average at everything

Liberati did eventually develop into a very good OHL defenceman but a bit too late for us to make the commitment to sign him.

I'm good with this pick as well.We need some size and grit in our system (F+D) and this guy has that and some other valuable traits like a good shot and playing on the right side.He's the right kind of player you take in the late rounds.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Actually Brassard had 4 points in 28 games in his draft year. Hes an overager

And yes I know it's a seventh round pick but they were both defenders who were very bland defenders. Bottom pairing AHL fodder

It's just a meh, whatever pick. Not saying it's wrong to draft for AHL depth but it's just underwhelming

Okay. Name three 7th rounders from this draft and last year's draft that you consider an "exciting" 7th round pick. Just 6 asking you to name 6 guys. Go!

Seriously, how anyone can complain about this pick is beyond me. He's a young re-entry who was listed at 6'2" almost 200lbs last year. Maybe he grew a bit maybe he didn't. But he has good size without much in the way of significant flaws that can't be corrected. He wasn't drafted last season because he didn't play much on a deep team. This year he played more and his game looks like it has matured and he managed to get a lot of shots through to the net. You want to see players develop and get better and he did.

It's like posters disliking Glass for being too vanilla. Who cares. Especially here with a 7th round pick. If in 5 years time Brassard makes the NHL as a depth Dman for the Canucks that's a huge win. Heck, Justin Braun and Jason Demers were pretty "bland" 7th round picks when the Sharks picked those two overagers. Worked out pretty well for them.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Okay. Name three 7th rounders from this draft and last year's draft that you consider an "exciting" 7th round pick. Just 6 asking you to name 6 guys. Go!

Seriously, how anyone can complain about this pick is beyond me. He's a young re-entry who was listed at 6'2" almost 200lbs last year. Maybe he grew a bit maybe he didn't. But he has good size without much in the way of significant flaws that can't be corrected. He wasn't drafted last season because he didn't play much on a deep team. This year he played more and his game looks like it has matured and he managed to get a lot of shots through to the net. You want to see players develop and get better and he did.

It's like posters disliking Glass for being too vanilla. Who cares. Especially here with a 7th round pick. If in 5 years time Brassard makes the NHL as a depth Dman for the Canucks that's a huge win. Heck, Justin Braun and Jason Demers were pretty "bland" 7th round picks when the Sharks picked those two overagers. Worked out pretty well for them.

Agreed.

We don't really know how they'll pan out. The scouts must see something, and he is on an upward trajectory. Maybe they just think he's a late bloomer.

I'll defer judgement on this pick. It's defensible, unlike the Gunnarsson pick.

sirwilliam

Assume it's sarcasm
Nov 29, 2006
Victoria
Awfully judgy of a 7th round pick, aren't we?

Seems like a good pick. Solid numbers, already man-sized, young for an overager, skates well, likes to shoot, why not?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
its a solid pick for a 7th rounder.

quoted from Canucks.com

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/382827-matthew-brassard-talk/?do=findComment&comment=13980806

It's a good pick. The guys shot volume is top class in the OHL.

http://prospect-stats.com/OHL/2016/player/7162/

His primary 5v5 points per game was better than Juolevi, Dineen, Stanley, Cernak

Goals per game in all situations was also very good compared to guys from this years draft and last years draft too.

has a nice shot on goal ratio. awesome pick for a 7th rounder.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
With a goal and an assist today, Brassard moves into 8th in scoring for OHL defencemen.

Of the seven ahead of him in points, two are top undrafted prospects: Bourchard and Merkley.
One is a '97 birthdate, never drafted.
Of the four others, all '98 birthdates, as is Brassard, two are undrafted (and a bit undersized, though not extremely so).
One is a second round pick (Hague) and one was taken in the third (Dineen).

Brassard is fourth among OHL defencemen for shots-on-goal.

I have no idea what Brassard will turn out to be, but this seems like a good result so far for a seventh-round pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a contract and perhaps some time in Utica at the end of the season.

6'3", 198, shoots right.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
I'd like the Canucks to give him a contract. He's earned it this year. His skating needs work, nothing that can't be corrected. I like that he's able to get pucks through traffic, that's an important skill set.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Certainly putting together a good season, and he has some good size to go with reportedly good mobility and puck moving ability.

Anyone seen him play at all this season?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Knowing little about him and not having watched him at all, its hard not to wonder if there was something going on earlier in the year. I mean, by all reports he looked pretty dreadful at camp, and didn't score a goal the first 20 games of the season. But then he has just been en fuego the last 25 games or so.

Can't help but wonder if there was an undisclosed injury or something else going on in the fall.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What are the odds that every Canuck seventh-rounder is a flop with most of them not even earning a contract.....surely one of them has to work out eventually....I mean how many Evan Fullers; Mackenze Stewarts; and Rodrigo Abols can you draft before you hit on on one of them?....Canucks have to be overdue surely....maybe it's Brassard......right-shot d-men are a scarce commodity......seems to have a bit more hockey sense than guys like Carl Neill and Tate Olson who the Canucks didn't bother to sign.

black ace

Jul 4, 2006
Vancouver
about 10-15% of 7th rounders reach the NHL. So statistically every 6-10 years we should get one. Oddly enough 5th, 6th and 7th rounders all have about the same chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad