Prospect Info: 186th overall: Vancouver selects Artyom Manukyan (RW, Avangard Omsk)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
20 years old, 5'7", 140lbs, 2 points in 21 KHL games and 12 points in 12 MHL games (though he had 105 in 60 games last year).

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

To be fair he played that season as a 19 year old rookie. He won the JHL’s scoring title (apparently he set a record for most points in that league) the previous year. He was also on the WJC team on the U20 team against the CHL all stars.

Sounds like a skilled player who can skate. Certainly not a low upside pick, but of course comes with all the odds of a late 6th round pick.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....if they ever have a line comprised of Palmu, Madden and Manukyan in VanCity it might be the smallest line in NHL history. I get the fact that the NHL is gravitating more towards speed and skill, but this has to be a bit of a reach even by today's standards. Unless these kids are more like 'gremlins' than 'smurfs', it's hard to see an NHL future for any of them....but I guess by the late rounds they don't call it a draft 'lottery' for nothing.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'd be surprised if he even sees a second of ice time in Vancouver or Utica.

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I remeber the last time I laughed at a team that selected such a diminutive player... that player turned out to be Paul Byron. So I'll reserve my judgement

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Cunning plan.
A 139 pound hockey player....hard to believe there's such a guy out there....there's probably lots of kids playing bantam and pee wee who tip the scales higher than that. So if that number is out of date, it wouldn't be a surprise to me. Seems to me though this is the kind of guy you could sign as a UFA if you were really interested, particularly since he's already 20.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I think he is one of the three Armenians that played for Russia at the last WJC. Don't know anything else about him.

Did we somehow flip sixth round picks with Washington to draft in this spot? Sure looks that way to me. Did we get anything back?

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I love this to be honest. There were two or three of these hidden gems floating around in the Russian Juniors. Pavel Shen was one of them and Manukyan was another one. No idea if he'll pan out but he showed a huge flash of talent last year and was one of these enigmas floating around the MHL. My affinity for greasy Russians is known far and wide. But this is a completely logical pick to me.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I figure this pick is just so Tryamkin has someone to sit beside on the plane ride over for training camp. And they didn't want Groot to be crowded.
You still believe Tryamkin is coming over?

The pick is a typical late rounder. Skilled guy. Question marks about size. How many 6th rounders do you have on the roster anyway?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not really no. KHL is way too comfortable and Russians have a history of taking off to play there or not coming over at all. You won’t find that sort of history with Swedes, Finns etc. There is a definite higher chance of a Russian not coming to NHL or leaving the NHL because of “family reasons” than any other country. If you want, I’ll list all the players that have done so.

Great strategy for losing. Though as a Russian I would be pleased if western teams stopped drafting Russians. Most of them in the Eastern Conference. Easier to follow.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Not really no. KHL is way too comfortable and Russians have a history of taking off to play there or not coming over at all. You won’t find that sort of history with Swedes, Finns etc. There is a definite higher chance of a Russian not coming to NHL or leaving the NHL because of “family reasons” than any other country. If you want, I’ll list all the players that have done so.
Why do you think players SHOULD be eager to come to NA if they are not getting a chance? We are certainly not talking about top talent players here.

The problem with North Americans is their firm belief developing in Russia/KHL is somehow bad. What's the difference if a player doesn't make your roster out of NA minors or out of Russia? I can give you a lot of Swedes who leave NA if they don't make the NHL. So what?

Last edited:
Reactions: billvanseattle

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Sorry pal, you’re a bit out of sorts here.

I said “stop drafting Russians because their is a stronger chance than any other country that they a) won’t come over to NA and b) if they come over have a higher chance of going back to play in the KHL if things don’t go their way.

You replied that it’s not true and you can show me other players from Sweden that have done this. (Please share that list with me) then say “what’s the problem if they want to stay in Russia...”.

You just made my point.

Also you state “if they are not getting a chance” but what you meant to say is “if they are not playing as many minutes as THEY think they should be or on the PP THEY think they should be on. “

It’s proven that Russians are a bit more spoiled than other countries in hockey and perhaps they have that luxury as they can make good money now in the KHL and have their playing time demands met , but they doesn’t disprove my point that it’s a gamble drafting a Russian nowadays.

Why do you think players SHOULD be eager to come to NA if they are not getting a chance? We are certainly not talking about top talent players here.

The problem with North Americans is their form belief developing in Russia/KHL is somehow bad. What's the difference if a player doesn't make your roster out of NA minors or out of Russia? I can give you a lpt of Swedes who leave NA if they don't make the NHL. So what?
e

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I think he is one of the three Armenians that played for Russia at the last WJC. Don't know anything else about him.

Did we somehow flip sixth round picks with Washington to draft in this spot? Sure looks that way to me. Did we get anything back?

Seems like we switched picks with Washington and picked up their 6th round pick in 2019 in the bargain.

Which seems like a fine idea, unless we just use that pick to select another no-hoper.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It's an interesting pick.

I was skeptical of Palmu because I felt that taking a guy who is both old for his draft and a midget has two decks stacked against him. This guy has both of those plus the Russian factor as well. Might be the biggest longshot in the draft when you consider all three so interested to see him play.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's an interesting pick.

I was skeptical of Palmu because I felt that taking a guy who is both old for his draft and a midget has two decks stacked against him. This guy has both of those plus the Russian factor as well. Might be the biggest longshot in the draft when you consider all three so interested to see him play.

It's a really weird/interesting pick.

I'm probably the biggest supporter around of taking high-skill smallish overage players with mid-late round picks. But there's '5-9 170 small' and then there's '5-7 139 small'.

I feel like there's a 1% chance we've done something genius and drafted a Russian Johnny Gaudreau and a 99% chance that in 10 years we'll be laughing about the time our scouts took a 139 lb Russian in the same way we laugh about that guy we picked from the Q about 15 years ago who had 1 goal and 653 PIMs.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
We've had some rather silly discussions about player's weights, but at the risk of taking the discussion in that direction, I'll say I believe that he's now considerably heavier than 139. That's because I'm about exactly his listed size (no jokes please...) and a photo of him shows an upper body that's much bigger and more developed than mine. I'd guess he's now closer to 150.

Which still makes him preposterously small, but he's now my favourite prospect to cheer for. (Hey, if I'd only learned to skate, I could have played in the NHL!)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
It's a really weird/interesting pick.

I'm probably the biggest supporter around of taking high-skill smallish overage players with mid-late round picks. But there's '5-9 170 small' and then there's '5-7 139 small'.

I feel like there's a 1% chance we've done something genius and drafted a Russian Johnny Gaudreau and a 99% chance that in 10 years we'll be laughing about the time our scouts took a 139 lb Russian in the same way we laugh about that guy we picked from the Q about 15 years ago who had 1 goal and 653 PIMs.

1% is still miles better than Kristoffer Gunnarsson turning into anything. I don't think we should lump this pick in with the Gunnarsson/Stewart/Abols types.

I also don't think it should be compared to Palmu since Palmu actually played in North America and has a really solid build to him. I think he's a significantly better prospect. Then again I'm slightly biased since I watched a ton of OS in his draft year.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I would rather have had Shen at this pick than Manukyan because I think Shen has a better potential to be a NHL player. But Manukyan was putting up freakish numbers in a league that has a lot of gems and hasn't really been scouted much by Western scouts.

Tryamkin also came from our new attention to the MHL (which I couldn't be happier about) and I am a big proponent of grabbing promising flyers out of this league.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Should we start looking at female hockey players soon? We're definitely in that size range. Something to consider.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a transgender hockey player gets drafted within the next 10-15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad