Prospect Info: 186th overall: Vancouver selects Artyom Manukyan (RW, Avangard Omsk)

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
Theo Fleury was way too small for the NHL too and he played when the rules allowed much rougher play. Rather pick up a super skilled small guy than an over sized
plug with a sixth round pick any day.

Well, yes... when comparing a skilled player to a plug always take the skilled player. But, the statement requires us to assume that if a big body in the late rounds, that player is a plug.

There was a guy by the name of Jermaine Loewen who is a big body that came to hockey late (started playing when he was 10) and still managed to make the WHL as a 16 year old. Talent developed exponentially (0 goals in his 16 year old year and 38 last year as a 19 year old) and who is known as one of the hardest working players around. He went at 199 in the draft after Manukyan and Thiessen.

I would have taken the flyer on the kid with room to development who busts it than an undersized talented kid. Admittedly, I am biased. We shall see.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well, yes... when comparing a skilled player to a plug always take the skilled player. But, the statement requires us to assume that if a big body in the late rounds, that player is a plug.

There was a guy by the name of Jermaine Loewen who is a big body that came to hockey late (started playing when he was 10) and still managed to make the WHL as a 16 year old. Talent developed exponentially (0 goals in his 16 year old year and 38 last year as a 19 year old) and who is known as one of the hardest working players around. He went at 199 in the draft after Manukyan and Thiessen.

I would have taken the flyer on the kid with room to development who busts it than an undersized talented kid. Admittedly, I am biased. We shall see.

I agree that a big body doesn't haven't to be a plug. But Manukyan doesn't have to be just an undersized talented kid either. If you are comparing Manukyan and Loewen as long term projects, however, Manukyan does have the advantage of being a player drafted out of Europe which gives the team more years to holding his rights. Speaking of which, I was under the impression that the Canucks hold Manukyan's rights for 4 years and Stars hold Loewen's for 2. But it looks like Loewen became a UFA after one year and will be at Vegas' camp. Anyone know the rule?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad