GDT: #18| New York Rangers @ New York Islanders | November 15th | 7:00 PM | F/W 7-5

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
About Barzal being benched for last seven minutes.....

“It’s a teaching moment,” Trotz said. “I don’t think Barzy had a good game. I don’t think he had a lot of battle in his game, unfortunately. Not where I expect it.”

The game isn't as easy for him this year and he's been a bit sulky, nice move by Trotz.

Reactions: periferal

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
About Barzal being benched for last seven minutes.....

“It’s a teaching moment,” Trotz said. “I don’t think Barzy had a good game. I don’t think he had a lot of battle in his game, unfortunately. Not where I expect it.”

The game isn't as easy for him this year and he's been a bit sulky, nice move by Trotz.
Agreed.

Amazingly I find several people on twitter who are losing their minds about Trotz overreacting about benching Barzal. “How can Trotz bench our most talented player in a close game late in the 3rd. Bag skate him tomorrow, bench him the following game, but don’t scratch him now.” Unreal.

I guess there are still people out there who still aren’t used to having a coach do the right thing disciplining a team.

Reactions: periferal and dood

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Agreed.

Amazingly I find several people on twitter who are losing their minds about Trotz overreacting about benching Barzal. “How can Trotz bench our most talented player in a close game late in the 3rd. Bag skate him tomorrow, bench him the following game, but don’t scratch him now.” Unreal.

I guess there are still people out there who still aren’t used to having a coach do the right thing disciplining a team.
Ye I don’t mind this move at all as long as he doesn’t start going crazy like Mike Keenan used to with young players.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sooo...How many people wanted to boot Beau out for MDC?
I did. I’ll stand by it. But good for Tito for responding the right way to his benching. And good for Barry Trotz for putting Beau on the 3rd line, where he won’t be facing other teams best defenders every shift. That should give him some room to skate.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think it was the penalty more than the turnover. Coaches will forgive a bad play but they can't stand an undisciplined one.
I think that was just the last straw for Trotz in a game where Barzal wasn’t at his best.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Rangers are a disaster, didn’t play well at all and killed them.

Love Flip and Uncle Leo!!
Yep. A word about the Rangers. I was amazed at how poor they were at tying up the Islanders sticks down low. Too bad. So sad.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Agreed.

It was a sloppy ass win and they got lucky. Cappy and Weight would have said "any win is a good win". Islanders would have only beat about five teams in the league with that effort last night, and they were lucky to be playing one of them.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sooo...How many people wanted to boot Beau out for MDC?

I wanted him sent to Bridgeport.
1 pt in 15 games.Most of his icetime in a top 6 role.

Glad that Beau has broken out . It's about friggin time.
I think it was Trotz who said the nhl is a results oriented league, not a developmental league.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Another win for the PDO Islanders.

Just take a look at the box scores last. Virtually every team that won last night was out shot. Including Nashville who lost 2-1 but out shot Arizona 46-23.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Agreed.

It's not like he's a Selke candidate. The team had a lead, they're trying to hold the lead, they don't need Barzal and his risky plays in that situations necessarily. I have zero issues with the benching. Don't turn the puck over or take dumb penalties, then there's nothing to worry about being benched for.

Reactions: BTrotts19

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Easily my favorite thing about the night...

Create a culture of accountability and that will lead the wins when they count the most.

Agree but, let me say one thing here. The kid has to defend himself. The game was too tight to do anything about it but I saw I believe Howden coming after Barzal up high and Matt brought his stick up in self defense. Understood it was a penalty at a crucial point but someone has to end that. Howden is a big kid and kudos for drawing a penalty but I hope some of our more physical players take note of Howden for the return matchup at MSG.

Reactions: dood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just take a look at the box scores last. Virtually every team that won last night was out shot. Including Nashville who lost 2-1 but out shot Arizona 46-23.
Yeah but the Isles thrive on it.:thumbu:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
After 2-0 Trotz called the timeout and we responded

Quinn called the time out after they got their 5th goal
We didn't call time out. We delayed going back out for the faceoff. But no time out was announced nor taken off the scoreboard.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's not like he's a Selke candidate. The team had a lead, they're trying to hold the lead, they don't need Barzal and his risky plays in that situations necessarily. I have zero issues with the benching. Don't turn the puck over or take dumb penalties, then there's nothing to worry about being benched for.
And more than anything else, don't take yourself off the ice for 2 minutes when you're trying to close out a game.

If you get a chance listen to Trotz's 6 minute presser posted on the Isles website. He explains exactly why he benched Barzal. He also answers the critics about what analytics anti-Christs Komarov and Filppula bring to the table, and the critics are going to cringe when they hear the answer.

Reactions: PK Cronin

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Agree but, let me say one thing here. The kid has to defend himself. The game was too tight to do anything about it but I saw I believe Howden coming after Barzal up high and Matt brought his stick up in self defense. Understood it was a penalty at a crucial point but someone has to end that. Howden is a big kid and kudos for drawing a penalty but I hope some of our more physical players take note of Howden for the return matchup at MSG.
Barzal has to pick his spots better.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Funny is I thought that was one of Barzals better games this season, and he gets benched. I thought he has had a few games this season that were cringe worthy, but this wasent one of them.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Don't let this game distract you from the fact all the experts say the Rangers made the best decision in hockey history by taking "better than Gretzky" Kravtsov over "shouldn't have been drafted even in the 7th round" Wahlstrom.
What?? This is sarcasm, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad