GDT: 18/2/2013 - Flames (5-5-3) at Coyotes (7-6-2) 19:00 MST

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
unless we get Barkov/Monahan :sarcasm:

With the fifth overall pick, Calgary is proud to select, oh wait, we have a trade to announce, Calgary trades the fifth overall pick to Carolina, for the 17th overall pick and the 46th overall pick.

With the seventeenth overall pick of the 2013 NHL draft, Calgary is pleased to select out of a Winnipeg high school, the 50th ranked played in north america!

Pierre McGuire: Remember this pick in 2021 people, Calgary got the steal of the draft!

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
With the fifth overall pick, Calgary is proud to select, oh wait, we have a trade to announce, Calgary trades the fifth overall pick to Carolina, for the 17th overall pick and the 46th overall pick.

With the seventeenth overall pick of the 2013 NHL draft, Calgary is pleased to select out of a Winnipeg high school, the 50th ranked played in north america!

Pierre McGuire: Remember this pick in 2021 people, Calgary got the steal of the draft!

This literally made me laugh out loud...

:shakehead:help:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

Is it sad this is what our team would do with Sutter at helm?

We'd also trade our 2nd for someone's 2nd, and 3rd.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
:laugh: That was a great prediction, but personally I liked that move a lot. If in you're scenario they do it again with the 5th overall pick I would probably go crazy though.

When they drafted Janks with that pick, with Määttä still on the board, I kicked my couch so hard, it busted my phone charger. If they did the same thing, back to back years with long shot prospects, I'd put a hole in the wall this time around.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
When they drafted Janks with that pick, with Määttä still on the board, I kicked my couch so hard, it busted my phone charger. If they did the same thing, back to back years with long shot prospects, I'd put a hole in the wall this time around.

I don't mind picking Janks over Maatta, but I was so pissed passing on TT.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary

I don't mind the move, Maata isn't projected to be anything special.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wanted Jankowski to be picked before the Flames traded down. I was livid because I thought someone else would pick him. Now we have him and Sieloff and I couldn't be happier.

I am with Weisbrod and Feaster 100% on those picks

Gary83*

Not disagreeing I just love TT's skill set I think he would look good on the 2nd line behind Sven. But I understand the logic in getting Janko as he could be that first line center we have need for a long time.

TT basically has a similar skill set to Gaudreau. I think Jankowski's (assuming he works out as we all hope) will be much more useful to the Flames.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I wanted Jankowski to be picked before the Flames traded down. I was livid because I thought someone else would pick him. Now we have him and Sieloff and I couldn't be happier.

I am with Weisbrod and Feaster 100% on those picks

Exactly, for all we know Jankowski could turn out better than TT, and considering we got Sieloff too just makes it that much better. I remember how pissed everyone was when we drafted Sieloff over many players we thought was better, looking at it now I don't think anyone can complain. I think management knows what its doing when it comes to drafting.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Exactly, for all we know Jankowski could turn out better than TT, and considering we got Sieloff too just makes it that much better. I remember how pissed everyone was when we drafted Sieloff over many players we thought was better, looking at it now I don't think anyone can complain. I think management knows what its doing when it comes to drafting.

I was really pissed at the time we made the trade, and I had already liked Jankowski (had him going 26).

I didn't really like the Sieloff pick either, but I have to admit that in hindsight its looking like a good move so far. Jankowski is developing well at the moment and Sieloff is looking damn close to a sure fire NHL'er.

Time will tell, but I don't think it was a bad move at all now.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
I'm happy with last year's draft as well. The bonus of drafting a young player is that (assuming he develops to projected) it gives us a couple extra years to stock the shelves with kids who may be ready for the NHL at about the same time.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I'm happy with last year's draft as well. The bonus of drafting a young player is that (assuming he develops to projected) it gives us a couple extra years to stock the shelves with kids who may be ready for the NHL at about the same time.

I'd agree with this. If Janks projects to be ready in 3-4 years, we will have Sven, Sieloff, Gaudreau, Horak, Reinhart, one of Ortio/Irving/Ramo/Gillies and Brodie all at their prime. Plus the draft picks for the next few years.

This doesn't include any of the surprises from our past drafts.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can't tell you guys how much I hated that draft from last year. The trading of TT, down and then still being able to grab a decent pick in Maatta; and taking a long shot.

It just bugs the hell out of me. TT is going to put up some numbers in the NHL, pretty soon. He's putting up sick numbers playing with men in Finland, Maatta was just the safer pick, who looks to be maybe a couple years from the NHL.
Being that Calgary's still pretty thin on top tier talent at the prospect level, I don't think the team has the luxury of drafting 4-5 year projects with their first overall picks. If anything, I think it's more of a thing where they should be always just getting the best player available.
Saying this however, I do like Pat Sieloff, and think he'll be able to play top four minutes in the NHL in a short period of time. He's putting up decent stats in Windsor, and I think he's only like -8 or 9 on a team that has d-men over -25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad