GDT: 18/2/2013 - Flames (5-5-3) at Coyotes (7-6-2) 19:00 MST

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
The game was won and lost in the FO dot. Same old story with this club, feaster is failing this organization. Just check the stats, how can this team even hope to compete when your best natural centre is Matt Stajan. I just don't get it, our management is ****ing blind.

Taylor was solid for his first start. Let in one really weak goal short side. I love hartley's coaching style, but it completely hinges on puck possession. How is that possible with the worst centre depth in the league. I sure hope iggy and kipper are traded come deadline.

Gary83*

The game was won and lost in the FO dot. Same old story with this club, feaster is failing this organization. Just check the stats, how can this team even hope to compete when your best natural centre is Matt Stajan. I just don't get it, our management is ****ing blind.

Taylor was solid for his first start. Let in one really weak goal short side. I love hartley's coaching style, but it completely hinges on puck possession. How is that possible with the worst centre depth in the league. I sure hope iggy and kipper are traded come deadline.

Yeah. We should trade Baertschi and Gaudreau for a C.

Seriously. What did you expect?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

I'm really beginning to think it's our ownership group/Ken King. Feaster is a very intelligent man; same with Weisbrod. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a few ideas of their own that haven't been accepted/approved because ownership said no. This team needs a new direction, identity, and player personel.

It just doesn't make much sense. It's already looking like 4yrs and counting.
_________
(I love our new drafting philosophy thus far, advanced stats, etc. Not to be a complete downer)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

This is exactly it. This team is hurting even worse on the dot with Jones in the minors now, and no Backlund.

This team is in dire need of someone who can win F/O.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

-Taylor let in 2 weak ones, but I'd like to see him play 1 more game to see what he can do. But right now Irving seems like the best choice until Kipper comes back.
-I remember our centers being thrown out of the circle quite a bit last game, leaving wingers to take the faceoffs. I do remember in the third period Stajan was told to leave and he had is arm up in a "Why?!" expression until Glencross nudged him out of the way.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC

You're absolutely right, when TSN predicted us to finish 14th the reasoning behind it was because we have a giant hole at the center position. We're obviously not a 14th place team (with a healthy line-up) but clearly we are not a playoff team either with the centers we have. I can't blame Feaster however as he has tried to improve this in the past (he went after Richards, and was hoping Cervenka could've been the solution). However, it didn't really work out. And im 95% sure that its not Feaster's idea to try and stay competitive and make the playoffs but actually the ownership. I hope Mr. Edwards realizes that 4 years is enough and finally tells Feaster to get a real rebuild going.

MonahanTHEMoneyMan

Mar 21, 2012
Calgary
It is what it is with this team. I have come to a realization with this team that I can't get emotional with every loss or win. But on the other note goalies are not made over one game performance. As a team and management you have to be willing to give it a shot for 8 to 10 games before coming to a conclussion. Taylor's first game in the nhl and fans here are already harping on his performance. Its not like he walked in the room full of stanley cup defenders. Taylor is playing for a team that has minimal direction to what it's future is. So if we want a franchise goalie then we have to have faith and let the guy play a few before we start critisizing his play. I mean if Sven doesnt score five games in a row is he a bust then. All these young and new players/goalies need time to come into there own and start performing. If there is no improvement on a consistent level then you take a decission on how to handle the situation. As for the team itself, If ownership still does not realise that its needs a change then maybe as fans we can do something to make them realise it.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'm really beginning to think it's our ownership group/Ken King. Feaster is a very intelligent man; same with Weisbrod. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a few ideas of their own that haven't been accepted/approved because ownership said no. This team needs a new direction, identity, and player personel.

It just doesn't make much sense. It's already looking like 4yrs and counting.
_________
(I love our new drafting philosophy thus far, advanced stats, etc. Not to be a complete downer)

I agree it probably is the ownership, not feaster for the most part. But he could have at least tried for an older FA, or pending FA. Whoever it is, I'm sick of it. This organization is being poorly accessed and has coasted along for a number of years now. I'd trade a lot of our top guys including kipper, iggy, cammy, and in return target a couple young big bodied centres, a big mean dman, or at least some solid picks In a good draft.

This team is so soft, and not nearly big and strong enough up the middle. I actually like our d core for the most part, except our bottom pair. We have some strong young goalies to compete for top spot, and regardless kipper is done soon. It's time to move on.

I do like some of our young prospects. If this management team pulled the right trades we could be back on track sooner rather than later

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
It is what it is with this team. I have come to a realization with this team that I can't get emotional with every loss or win. But on the other note goalies are not made over one game performance. As a team and management you have to be willing to give it a shot for 8 to 10 games before coming to a conclussion. Taylor's first game in the nhl and fans here are already harping on his performance. Its not like he walked in the room full of stanley cup defenders. Taylor is playing for a team that has minimal direction to what it's future is. So if we want a franchise goalie then we have to have faith and let the guy play a few before we start critisizing his play. I mean if Sven doesnt score five games in a row is he a bust then. All these young and new players/goalies need time to come into there own and start performing. If there is no improvement on a consistent level then you take a decission on how to handle the situation. As for the team itself, If ownership still does not realise that its needs a change then maybe as fans we can do something to make them realise it.

Tayler had a solid game. 1-2 bad goals, but he played confident and aggressive, making some great saves. I really like our goalie situation having Taylor, Irving, and hopefully ramo going forward.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
easier said than done but we need centers that can win draws and play. Biggest flaw of this team is that we can't get the f***ing puck to start the possession. We have so many wingers that Feaster should at least explore the options.

Lars Eller is very underrated and deserves more ice time than he's getting in Montreal. He has good size, wins draws and board battles, plus cycles pretty well. He won't be as pricey as ROR but has the potential to be just as good.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
easier said than done but we need centers that can win draws and play. Biggest flaw of this team is that we can't get the f***ing puck to start the possession. We have so many wingers that Feaster should at least explore the options.

Lars Eller is very underrated and deserves more ice time than he's getting in Montreal. He wins draws and board battles plus cycles pretty well. He won't be as pricey as ROR

When healthy he is stuck behind Stajan and Backlund.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The problem is Eller is a very similar player to Backlund and having them both would be pretty redundant. What we need is someone who can step in on the 1st line, pretty much we need a Jokinen who can win F/O.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
The problem is Eller is a very similar player to Backlund and having them both would be pretty redundant. What we need is someone who can step in on the 1st line, pretty much we need a Jokinen who can win F/O.
Eller got 16 goals last year with little to no PP time. Backlund hasn't proved anything albeit Butter.
You don't really trade for a #1 center. You either draft them/develop them yourself or you sign one in FA. There won't be many #1's available for trade plus we probably don't have the assets.

Meanwhile Eller is a big center (6'2") signed to a cap-friendly contract throughout next year that can win faceoffs and play. He cycles pretty well and can control the play in the offensive zone and defend in his own. Perfect player for Hartley

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary

I don't think so, they both are skilled but I think Eller plays a more grind it out along the boards using his big body type. Either way it wouldn't hurt this team to have both of them.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Eller got 16 goals last year with little to no PP time. Backlund hasn't proved anything albeit Butter.
You don't really trade for a #1 center. You either draft them/develop them yourself or you sign one in FA. There won't be many #1's available for trade plus we probably don't have the assets.

Meanwhile Eller is a big center (6'2") signed to a cap-friendly contract throughout next year that can win faceoffs and play. He cycles pretty well and can control the play in the offensive zone and defend in his own. Perfect player for Hartley

Eller is a perfect example of what we need, we have the offense on the wings. We need a centre who can control the puck down low and win ****ing FOs!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't think so, they both are skilled but I think Eller plays a more grind it out along the boards using his big body type. Either way it wouldn't hurt this team to have both of them.

Shouldve been more clear, similar in terms of the roster position they would be competing for, maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I would not complain if we traded for him but I also dont think hes the solution.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Eller is a perfect example of what we need, we have the offense on the wings. We need a centre who can control the puck down low and win ****ing FOs!

Yeah, it seems games that Calgary's dominated in the FO circle, they're also dominated on the score board. You'd think this problem would have been addressed. But I think going into camp people thought:
Backlund, Stajan and Begin would have enough juice on the dot to be able to win a few, to counter the poor numbers Calgary always seems to have on the top line (for the past 5+ years).

Horak got dominated last night, and Begin, although every previous year he's been good for a solid 50+%, is down to under 30 I believe.

I'm really unsure about Calgary. One night you get this team, that doesn't give up, plays hard, the next game you get a dud. Jarome is pretty useless currently, and for a team that still thinks of him as a top liner, he's really not shown it. Cammy's finding his groove, and I like the Glencross - Stajan - Stemp line this year, I think the play of those three really compliments.
It really sucks that Backlund went down, because I truly believe that Cervenka - Backlund - Hudler would have been pretty dominate with the puck, Horak's done okay; but I think Backlund gives you a little bump in skill.

Can anyone say that if Calgary traded Jarome at the start of this year, this team would be any different in the standings?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah but by then he'll be the best player from the draft. Right?

Right?

...Guys?

Of course.
Epic pick; remember, I think it was said by one of the greatest hockey minds in the game... what's his name again?

It's not like there was a more talented center that Calgary could have drafted with an earlier pick. Right?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Although, I know, I'm being a dick and just being sarcastic; what I'm really trying to point out is Calgary has little to no ability to draft.

The problem with Calgary's missing top line center will probably be there... for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad