18/19 MGMT Thread X: This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The regular media have nothing but good things to say about the imminent future of the team (even Kypreous who calls it ,the way he see's it)

I fondly remember how the regular media was talking about a new generation of Oiler dominance on the backs of Eberle Hall RNH Yakupov Cogliano Nilsson Gagner etc etc, or even McDavid/Drai and this new era.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I fondly remember how the regular media was talking about a new generation of Oiler dominance on the backs of Eberle Hall RNH Yakupov Cogliano Nilsson Gagner etc etc, or even McDavid/Drai and this new era.
Yup, were going to win multiple cups. Even had their own TV show - "Oil Change".

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
House money rapidly runs out when the losses start to pile up. 30% of the season left to play.
It's barely mid February and their 6 points up having played two more games than bottom of the west.

House money? Only if you're a fool.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Is this some sneaky af sarcasm?

Wait, what?

Did you stop reading after you bolded? Or do I really need to point out that you can have a GM remain under a president?

If you're bringing in a President of Hockey Ops that knows how to build at team, you are effectively replacing Jim Benning.

Benning is middling at the draft, not wonderful and not terrible.

Not necessarily. Benning can still be the active GM & have some input. Change doesn't necessarily mean remove, it could mean add. Right now its just Jim & John and they haven't demonstrated a good ability to add to the team outside of the draft. I think they've done good at the draft, but that part of the management group needs another voice.

I don't imagine Benning will go anywhere for a few years with how Boeser & Pettersson have exploded onto the scene.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
This has been discussed once or twice before but *who* would be this President of Hockey Ops? (Certainly, management shortlists can change, ie Kelly McCrimmon's stock has certainly gone up)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
House money rapidly runs out when the losses start to pile up. 30% of the season left to play.
I know that you're desperately clinging to the hope that the Canucks become a tire fire ...If the team continues to put forth the effort, and continues to demonstrate that there is a progression in the young core...Thats all you can ask for...I dont see any reason why media perception will change..

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Who's talking about Canuck dominance down the road.?..When you've been gifted multiple 1st OA's and a generational talent..,that kind of press is to be expected.

Last edited:

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
This has been discussed once or twice before but *who* would be this President of Hockey Ops? (Certainly, management shortlists can change, ie Kelly McCrimmon's stock has certainly gone up)

Someone with experience because this is still Benning's first tenure as gm. He's improved but still needs guidance and a guy to reign him in from going all out on getting his guy ex. Beagle.

Tbh I think it's have to be an old school guy if Benning is going to listen. Probably Lombardi.

I would rather have someone else. Ideally Yzerman. But I'd be okay with Hextall. I liked what he did with Flyers youth. Tom Rowe is interesting to me too.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I know that you're desperately clinging to the hope that the Canucks become a tire fire ...If the team continues to put forth the effort, and continues to demonstrate that there is a progression in the young core...Thats all you can ask for...I dont see any reason why media perception will change..

You are playing with house money when you are out of the playoffs in mid February in your fifth season as a GM? You are honestly living in a different reality. Your expectations are so ridiculously low that it is impossible for Elmer not to meet them.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

They are a tire fire. The blueline remains a mess. The depth remains lacking. The goaltending fiasco...and yes it’s a fiasco when everyone and their dog is calling you out on it. I’m not the one clinging to anything. They came out of the all star break and rapidly lost twice as many games as they won. We’ve seen this story before.

If your young core makes progress and still you end up about where you were before....what does that tell you about the supprting roster that was carefully crafted to take advantage of the young core performing as all stars? It says it’s terrible. Who constructed that supporting cast?

Probably Gillis again.

You shouldn’t be excited you should be more worried that the years coming will be wasted a la the Edmonton Oilers. Because the moves and logic are very similar. The Canucks are just a few years behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks5551

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Did you stop reading after you bolded? Or do I really need to point out that you can have a GM remain under a president?

Not necessarily. Benning can still be the active GM & have some input. Change doesn't necessarily mean remove, it could mean add. Right now its just Jim & John and they haven't demonstrated a good ability to add to the team outside of the draft. I think they've done good at the draft, but that part of the management group needs another voice.

I don't imagine Benning will go anywhere for a few years with how Boeser & Pettersson have exploded onto the scene.

Jim Benning is the worst GM in Canucks history, and you're fine keeping him around? Yikes!

Reactions: timw33

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You are playing with house money when you are out of the playoffs in mid February in your fifth season as a GM? You are honestly living in a different reality. Your expectations are so ridiculously low that it is impossible for Elmer not to meet them.
The Canucks last made the playoffs in 2015..I am truly sorry that Benning didn’t completely rebuild the defense and turn the Canucks into a competitive playoff team..all within three and a half years after last making the playoffs .

I’m not sure who’s expectations are out of whack..Yours or mine.?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Canucks last made the playoffs in 2015..I am truly sorry that Benning didn’t completely rebuild the defense and turn the Canucks into a competitive playoff team..all within three and a half years after last making the playoffs .

Benning has brought in one top 4 calibre defenseman: Troy Stecher. That's pathetic.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm of the opinion that the GM has very little to do with the draft. So you can give him credit I guess for adding/removing scouts, promoting/demoting scouts, but at the end of the day, other people are doing the majority of the legwork.

So even if there are those who don't want to agree, humour me and pretend you do for a second. If Benning has little to do with actually ranking the players on the list, then what else has he done in Vancouver that even gets a C+ grade?

I'd argue nothing.

I would not give Benning a C+ grade for his work.

However little Benning is actually involved in the draft, it doesn't matter, he wears it/gets credit. No one is going to be able to parse his actual work behind the scenes.

There will be a threshold with Benning even with Pettersson and Boeser here. The playoffs will become an expectation, at some point. When that happens, how secure will his job really be?

Further, if a President is hired, one who is in charge of Hockey Ops, that's another factor that can significantly reduce Benning's expected tenure.

Having input does not equate to having the final decision. That's when the power structures will shift.

What's your baseline for judging that Benning is good at the draft?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
They are a tire fire. The blueline remains a mess. The depth remains lacking. The goaltending fiasco...and yes it’s a fiasco when everyone and their dog is calling you out on it. I’m not the one clinging to anything. They came out of the all star break and rapidly lost twice as many games as they won. We’ve seen this story before.

If your young core makes progress and still you end up about where you were before....what does that tell you about the supprting roster that was carefully crafted to take advantage of the young core performing as all stars? It says it’s terrible. Who constructed that supporting cast?

Probably Gillis again.

You shouldn’t be excited you should be more worried that the years coming will be wasted a la the Edmonton Oilers. Because the moves and logic are very similar. The Canucks are just a few years behind.
Of course they don't have depth..Do 'rebuilding' teams have depth..?..Are rebuilding teams 'good'..?..Yes,Benning gambled and lost with the DiPietro fiasco...It's one game.. a blip, in fact the veteran players were called out just as much as the GM.

Oh,and we're the Oilers now.?.Okey Dokey ..(I guess you missed Murphy interviewing Mark Spector in between periods in the last Oilers home game vs Canucks....Spector was praising Canuck management for not making the same mistakes the Oilers management did..)

But please carry on with the daily 'bad team' doom and gloom updates..

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yes, don't be mad that Benning did not completely rebuild the defense in 5 years.

Troy Stecher is enough people.

It's ok we only spent a 1st (McCann) 2nd (for Gud) 3rd (for Pouliot) 4th (for Pedan) 4th (for Gud) 5th (Forsling) 5th (for Larsen) to end up with Pouliot and Gudbranson after all that.

An entire draft class.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Still sticking to the rebuilding team stuff eh. Benning has spent 5 off season acquiring players to support the youth and building depth. Yet the supporting cast blows and the depth is never to be found. They haven’t graduated a d-man to the nhl for what 3 years? The ones they have acquired are just awful.

So yes it’s a bad team. Bottom 10 right now and falling.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Someone thinks Benning is deliberately trying to "rebuild" the Canucks.

hA20C4798

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Jim Benning is the worst GM in Canucks history, and you're fine keeping him around? Yikes!

I'm not a Benning fan but I think Brock Boeser saved him last year & Petterson has saved him for a few years.

He might be gone after his contract is up but I don't think he'll be fired in the meantime. Not that I think he's a good GM.

There will be a threshold with Benning even with Pettersson and Boeser here. The playoffs will become an expectation, at some point. When that happens, how secure will his job really be?

Further, if a President is hired, one who is in charge of Hockey Ops, that's another factor that can significantly reduce Benning's expected tenure.

Having input does not equate to having the final decision. That's when the power structures will shift.

What's your baseline for judging that Benning is good at the draft?

Its secure now, will it be in 2-3 years if things don't improve? Of course not. But Boeser last year & Pettersson this year have bought him time. Probably a few years.

I agree with you about the president. And that's even more reason for the idea. Either way Benning is not going to be fired but if they added to the group maybe we'd get to the end of Benning's tenure quicker. Or atleast to a part where there's a clear vision & not Benning cutting corners left & right because ownership is impatient.

The baseline is how much improved the drafting has been during his tenure. I much prefer Gillis as a GM but its undeniable the drafting has been much better in this era. And thats with Benning trading picks away left & right. They've done a much better job finding guys in the later rounds which is where I give them credit.

I know Brackett has alot to do with it, its not solely Benning. But with his background he oversees the draft & if we are going to crap on the parts of his regime that have been garbage (as we should) I think the positives of this regime should be acknowledged aswell.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

So Jim Benning fluking into the playoffs in his first year with a team that he almost entirely inherited someone means its fine that his team in his fifth year here is out of the playoffs? How does this make any sense? If anything, he looks worse.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So Jim Benning fluking into the playoffs in his first year with a team that he almost entirely inherited someone means its fine that his team in his fifth year here is out of the playoffs? How does this make any sense? If anything, he looks worse.
Funny though that the outgoing coach in 2014 called the non playoff squad old slow and stale..JB at least revived it for a year..

Anyway..back on topic..JB is not remotely on any hot seat..in the media or otherwise.

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Funny though that the outgoing coach in 2014 called the non playoff squad old slow and stale..JB at least revived it for a year..

Anyway..back on topic..JB is not remotely on any hot seat..in the media or otherwise.

Who cares what Tortorella said? He admitted his head wasn't in it when he was coaching in Vancouver. Elmer revived the Canucks? By hiring a crappy coach and making a couple of bad trades? More like the Tortorella year was unsustainably poor, and the team rebounded.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Of course they don't have depth..Do 'rebuilding' teams have depth..?..Are rebuilding teams 'good'..?..Yes,Benning gambled and lost with the DiPietro fiasco...It's one game.. a blip, in fact the veteran players were called out just as much as the GM.

Oh,and we're the Oilers now.?.Okey Dokey ..(I guess you missed Murphy interviewing Mark Spector in between periods in the last Oilers home game vs Canucks....Spector was praising Canuck management for not making the same mistakes the Oilers management did..)

But please carry on with the daily 'bad team' doom and gloom updates..
We are in the same spot point wise we were last year. We have 1 maybe 2 defenceman going forward. We have 1 defenceman coming that should be excellent but.....
We have a superstar forward. We have no tradeable assets and lots of dead weight contracts.
So I can see why you are so optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad