18/19 MGMT Thread X: This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
At what point do they make changes to this management group?

I'm fine with keeping Benning, he's done a wonderful job overseeing the draft, but they need someone besides just Jim & John. My idea would be to bring in a president of hockey Ops above Benning who has a vision & knows how to build a team.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I'm fine with keeping Benning, he's done a wonderful job overseeing the draft, but they need someone besides just Jim & John. My idea would be to bring in a president of hockey Ops above Benning who has a vision & knows how to build a team.

Wait, what?

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I would still like a bigger sample size. Remember those early goals he kept giving up to start the season? Those were real bad. But he has looked real good of late. If he keeps this up and does the same thing next season, I say give him an extension for sure (provided Demko doesn't look like he's on his way to being better than Markstrom).
120 games isn't a big enough sample?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

If you're bringing in a President of Hockey Ops that knows how to build at team, you are effectively replacing Jim Benning.

Benning is middling at the draft, not wonderful and not terrible.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I hope they unfurled the Mission Accomplished flag for having a playoff spot at game 55(?), because now it's gone and it's extremely unlikely we get it back. Better teams in St. Louis and Minnesota hold them now with both a lead and games in hand, and just below us also with games in hand it's likely that Chicago, Colorado, and maybe Arizona pass us.

Which puts us basically on the same pace as we had last year, which we've always been on even if we briefly held a playoff spot.

Reactions: timw33 and HSD19

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Is this some sneaky af sarcasm?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If you're bringing in a President of Hockey Ops that knows how to build at team, you are effectively replacing Jim Benning.

Benning is middling at the draft, not wonderful and not terrible.
I'm of the opinion that the GM has very little to do with the draft. So you can give him credit I guess for adding/removing scouts, promoting/demoting scouts, but at the end of the day, other people are doing the majority of the legwork.

So even if there are those who don't want to agree, humour me and pretend you do for a second. If Benning has little to do with actually ranking the players on the list, then what else has he done in Vancouver that even gets a C+ grade?

I'd argue nothing.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Seems like the media are starting to turn on Benning , I hope he is out by this summer but I don't know if he will

Frank is very sensitive to vocal media and fan perception. That's why Gillis was hastily removed. You had boo birds in the crowd against the Flames and Sharks, you had sarcastic cheers for shots on goal in the Sharks game, and you have near universal laughing at Benning for the goaltender thing in the last week. If the losing continues and they start to fall behind Chicago (as early as tonight), Yotes (again as early as tonight) and Kings the media and fans can get very loud, very quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 420Canuck

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Frank is very sensitive to vocal media and fan perception. That's why Gillis was hastily removed. You had boo birds in the crown against the Flames and Sharks, you had sarcastic cheers for shots on goal in the Sharks game, and you have near universal laughing at Benning for the goaltender thing in the last week. If the losing continues and they start to fall behind Chicago (as early as tonight), Yotes (again as early as tonight) and Kings the media and fans can get very loud, very quickly.

Yea, but according to r/Canucks it's just bad luck and all good GM's experience it :sarcasm:

Reactions: geebaan

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Frank is very sensitive to vocal media and fan perception. That's why Gillis was hastily removed. You had boo birds in the crown against the Flames and Sharks, you had sarcastic cheers for shots on goal in the Sharks game, and you have near universal laughing at Benning for the goaltender thing in the last week. If the losing continues and they start to fall behind Chicago (as early as tonight), Yotes (again as early as tonight) and Kings the media and fans can get very loud, very quickly.
Gillis didn't have Linden to smooth things out behind the scenes and keep the mob in line.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Gillis didn't have Linden to smooth things out behind the scenes and keep the mob in line.

Neither does Benning anymore. Gillis was arrogant with the media but what he told them made sense. Benning might come off as aww shucks nice but the things he says are getting increasingly picked apart and called out for the nonsense and/or idiocy that it is.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I just hope Weisbrod goes as well. Looking at last years draft video he looked very involved in our later draft picks....

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I truly think the Pettersson good will evaporates very quickly if they fall back into the bottom 5. How can they be bottom 5 with a rookie of the year candidate, Boeser on pace for over 30 goals, Markstrom being a true #1 and Horvat doing Horvat things? The kids are performing so if they fall back down to where they've been the last several seasons that is when people are going to seriously look at team construction. It won't just be Botchford with snide remarks or Canucks Army anymore. It'll be the regular media (tv, radio, and print) calling out the poor performance of all these guys the GM brought in. And not even the current love affair with Roussel (5 pts last 18 games) will remove all that tarnish when they do.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I truly think the Pettersson good will evaporates very quickly if they fall back into the bottom 5. How can they be bottom 5 with a rookie of the year candidate, Boeser on pace for over 30 goals, Markstrom being a true #1 and Horvat doing Horvat things? The kids are performing so if they fall back down to where they've been the last several seasons that is when people are going to seriously look at team construction. It won't just be Botchford with snide remarks or Canucks Army anymore. It'll be the regular media (tv, radio, and print) calling out the poor performance of all these guys the GM brought in. And not even the current love affair with Roussel (5 pts last 18 games) will remove all that tarnish when they do.
There is already such tunnel-vision and irrationality in how he’s evaluated (“a good prospect was still on the board when we picked, so he’s rebuilding well!”) that I think you’re giving people way too much credit here.

I think ownership – who believes they are rebuilding despite virtually zero evidence to this effect – looks, in a vacuum, at how close the team is to the playoffs, and since it isn’t mathematically eliminated in February (in the weakest conference in years where the competitors greatly outnumber the available spots) they simply conclude that the team is “trending up”. Causality or the process doesn’t even seem to come into the equation.

I agree that media may be a bit of an X-factor here, but most have repeatedly dropped the ball here.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
There is already such tunnel-vision and irrationality in how he’s evaluated (“a good prospect was still on the board when we picked, so he’s rebuilding well!”) that I think you’re giving people way too much credit here.

I think ownership – who believes they are rebuilding despite virtually zero evidence to this effect – looks, in a vacuum, at how close the team is to the playoffs, and since it isn’t mathematically eliminated in February (in the weakest conference in years where the competitors greatly outnumber the available spots) they simply conclude that the team is “trending up”. Causality or the process doesn’t even seem to come into the equation.

I agree that media may be a bit of an X-factor here, but most have repeatedly dropped the ball here.

You may be correct. I've been a canuck fan for 38 years...that requires a good chunk of optimism!

Reactions: 420Canuck

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Neither does Benning anymore. Gillis was arrogant with the media but what he told them made sense. Benning might come off as aww shucks nice but the things he says are getting increasingly picked apart and called out for the nonsense and/or idiocy that it is.

Gillis did what was best for the organization and told the media as little as humanly possible, so the media got upset about it because they were constantly guessing what they were trying to do.

Benning, on the other hand, tells the media way way way too much and makes the media's job too easy. Want to know what player they're going to draft? Ask Jim Benning straight up in February and he might just tell you. Hell, you might not even have to prompt him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks5551

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Don't think so.,wishful thinking on your part...This season has already been a success..Canucks are playing with house money right now..Nobody expected this team to be playing any meaningful hockey in mid February..The regular media have nothing but good things to say about the imminent future of the team (even Kypreous who calls it ,the way he see's it)...You really think that they're all of a sudden, the media are going to do an about face, and start pitchforking players at the bottom of the lineup ,of a rebuilding team?

Overall interest in the team is back up (attendance and season tickets)...Quinn Hughes should add yet another layer to that,
Happy Days.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Seems like the media are starting to turn on Benning , I hope he is out by this summer but I don't know if he will
They are.?.who exactly..?..The Province,HNIC,..TSN...Tim @Sid..?..Sportsnet 650...?

They're all still gushing in the radiance of EP.and the other young core players of the Canucks

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Just based on the Botch segment the other morning. Maybe I am wrong?
Ferraro and even resident shill, IMac called them out for the embarrassing Goalie situation.

Lots of comments flying about being reactive not proactive.....feels like the start. If they continue to stumble down the standings, it'll only get louder.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Don't think so.,wishful thinking on your part...This season has already been a success..Canucks are playing with house money right now..Nobody expected this team to be playing any meaningful hockey in mid February..The regular media have nothing but good things to say about the imminent future of the team (even Kypreous who calls it ,the way he see's it)...You really think that they're all of a sudden, the media are going to do an about face, and start pitchforking players at the bottom of the lineup ,of a rebuilding team?

Overall interest in the team is back up (attendance and season tickets)...Quinn Hughes should add yet another layer to that,
Happy Days.

House money rapidly runs out when the losses start to pile up. 30% of the season left to play.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The plan (or lack thereof) is always predicated on absolute best case scenarios in terms of everything from injuries to chemistry to player development.

Occasionally you actually get that, but assuming it's going to happen in every area is obtuse to the extreme.

So when inevitably injuries hit, or a signing doesn't work out, or a prospect busts, they've got nothing and the team plummets to the bottom of the standings. Happens every year with this management group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad