18/19 MGMT Thread X: This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If that Edler news is true it's another major error. Assuming he was amendable to waiving that's straight up really bad management. I can't believe anyone would support these bozos.

They literally painted themselves into a corner where it's overpay Edler in money and/or term, or lose him for nothing. Meanwhile, given the current prices for defensemen you'd probably make out with a mid-to-late 1st rounder ++ in any deal.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I said over a month ago I would target Panarin and Stone hard in free agency IF we could get rid of all of Jimbo's bad contracts (Gudbranson, Eriksson, Gagner-now Spooner, Beagle, and Sutter). I still feel that way. If we can dump these bad contracts (and not re-sign Edler), and convince Eriksson to retire, it could be a big UFA season for us. But that won't happen.
What’s wrong with Bringing back edler for 2-3 years.
A short term deal just makes a ton of sense, Gives a lot less pressure on a guy like Quinn to perform early.

Ideally we trade edler and sign him in the summer

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What’s wrong with Bringing back edler for 2-3 years.
A short term deal just makes a ton of sense, Gives a lot less pressure on a guy like Quinn to perform early.

Ideally we trade edler and sign him in the summer

Because Benning should be trading Edler for a draft pick.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Okay, i agree.
Like i said, ideally we trade and sign in the summer.
Edler is still a really good player, just no stupid 5+ year desls

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
For all of the talk about the New and Improved Offense™ in the last thread, the Canucks have now dropped to 24th in the league in GF/G, which is basically identical to the 26th place they managed last season.

Now 27th in the league in G/G. I wouldn't have even thought it'd be possible to add a rookie scoring at a near 90 point pace but still have a worse offense than last year, but I guess I underestimated Benning's inability to fill out a roster.

Reactions: Hodgy

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Benning’s main goal has always been to play meaningful games in march, looke like they won’t acheive that for the 4th consecutive season.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Things had to change since then. Benning had to grow patient. There is a real crisis in the league. Nobody wants certain players, therefore they have to come here. They don't want to be here either... but where else can they go? Every month Benning searches the entire league, and when he finds a misfit toy that no team loves, he brings them to live here on this Island of misfits... until teams in lesser leagues hopefully want them. They are homeless players. They need support. Benning keeps them safe, fed and warm until he can find teams that can be happy with them. It doesn't translate into wins, but how do you measure the amount of kindness in a man's heart? Stats cannot capture everything, and all a player really wants and needs is to be loved by his team.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Unless the team drastically improves from the inside, OR unless the Canucks are suddenly able to attract a UFA (edit. or UFAs) worth his money, we are in for the worst 5 year stretch of the organizations history.

Gary Bettman has done his damnest to make rebuilding through tanking extremely difficult. Some call it the league of parity, but this season has shown that it is a league of mediocrity. Teams are stuck on the perimeter unless they are managed extremely well like the Yzerman led Tampa, Poile led Preds etc. Penguins are the last franchise built in the tank-for-talent mould, riding on the backs of their two-headed MalCrosby monster.

That is why it is so imperative to have a shrewd competent GM. The man we currently have at the helm is horrible at assessing pro talent:
- Defensemen acquired/signed by Jim Benning: Luca Sbisa, Andrey Peda, Adam Clendening, Philip Larsen, Erik Gudbranson, Derrick Pouliot, Matt Bartkowski, MDZ, Patrick Wiercioch
- Jay Beagle, Tim Schaller, Sam Gagner, Ryan Spooner etc.

Poor manager of assets:
-Nothing for Hamhuis and Vrbata (2016)
-Not moving away from Tanev while he still had value, who was becoming more and more injury prone
-Refused to sell Sutter last year when his value was high, now has a log jam at center that forces a NHL ready kid in Gaudette in to the AHL
-McCann, 2nd, 4th for Erik Gudbranson + 5th

Poor negotiator of contracts:
Loui Eriksson, 6 years, 36 mil
Tim Schaller, 2 years, 3.8 mil
Jay Beagle, 4 years, 12 mil
Erik Gudbranson, 3 years, 12 mil
Brandon Sutter, 5 years, 21.8 mil
Giving movement clauses for bottom 6ers while overpaying in money and term.

Extremely attached to the old players he already has, brought back the D core from last year, that was arguably the worst in the league...
The rumored and bizarre asking price for Gudbranson this trade deadline.
Had we not resigned Gudbranson last year (WHILE HE WAS INJURED) does anyone here think having a rotation of Biega / McEneny / Brisebois as our no.6 would have given us lesser results?

Anyone who wants this to stop also must get it through their heads that the problem is at the helm. He is incompetent, he is unable to own up to his own mistakes, he runs an organisation that doesn't reward success and doesn't hold failures accountable.

He is Jim Benning.

11072973.jpg

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yes, but also because, as you say, Benning isn't in a rebuild mode and never has been. You remove Edler and Tanev and this team doesn't win games - it's just that simple. Of course they should tear it down, draft high and start over. But they wont.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm so sick of this management group. By far the most incompetent this organization has ever had. I don't care what supporters have to say because at the end of all the rhetoric we're still a loser team and literally haven't improved one single bit since they took over.

It's soul crushing to watch other teams around us year in and year out make hard decisions but the right decisions for the good of their franchises only to watch our bunch of idiots spin the wheels while spouting the same nonsense they've been spouting since day one. Even Trevor Linden had enough and saw through the BS.

Benning and CO. are a bunch of loser and so will this team until they're all gone.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Q: Does it matter to you that your D-man is absolute dog shit? And by dog shit I mean he could very well be the worst player in the NHL.

A: No because I’ve seen him punch a guy once.

Management and I strongly suspect ownership are delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad