18/19 MGMT Thread X: This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I will say that Pettersson/Horvat/Gaudette down the middle is a good start, and it would be nice to get something for Sutter and/or Beagle.

But geez, this season has been a dagger to the heart of the winger situation and nobody seems to realize it. Boeser is good but doesn’t look quite like the star he looked like last year. And then there is just three empty spots for the top six. Goldobin has proven to not be the answer. Nor Virtanen. Baertschis career is in jeopardy, and as far as prospects go there is basically nothing. I honestly thought Dahlen would be playing in the top six by this point of the season but he’s shown to be nowhere near ready. And so .... maybe Leeivo? But he’s already 26 years old.

On defence, the situation there is known. Elder is either gone or 33 years old. Tanev is 30. Hutton and Stecher look good and Hughes is promising but it’s really not enough. Markstrom is also 30 and Demko has been injury prone.

I don’t see it. I don’t see how this team becomes a contender over the next few years with benning steering the ship. Drafting Kakko could help a lot with the winger situation but otherwise? This looks like a team that just wastes Peteys cheap years while benning continues to rearrange deck chairs as Edler/Tanev/Markstrom age out.

Tell me I’m wrong. What am I missing?

Reactions: tyhee

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This whole team is a joke. An utter pathetic joke. The fact that Edler would have been willing to waive his NTC if the Canucks didn't want him, but Benning preferred to re-sign a 33 year old defenseman is disgusting. It's unacceptable. I know the discussion is about what kind of contract he'll get, but the discussion should be about what we could get for Edler.

The fact is, this team is NOT in a rebuld. Benning has NEVER prioritized stockpiling any kind of draft picks. His defenders claim he's learning but there is zero proof of that as he continues to f*** up almost every decision he makes. And now reading someone saying it's better to sign Edler to a 3 year deal with NMC (thus forcing the Canucks to protect him in the expansion draft) is better than letting him walk for nothing makes me sick.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
When did it come
Out that edler would waive his NTC if the canucks didn’t want him?

Earlier this year Edler himself said that you don't want to be with a team that doesn't want you. And just last night Botchord reported that Edler would have been open to moving on if the Canucks didn't want him, and that Pittsburgh had interest.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
Since people like to score keep:

NMC count
Gillis: 2 (Daniel and Henrik)
Benning :1 (Loui)*

*Could be 2 pending on Edler Extension (otherwise, add to the NTC count)

NTC count:
Gillis: 10
Benning: 7

So, if NTCs/NMCs are bad, why not look at results?

Gillis had a team that dominated their division, won 2 Presidents trophies and was one game away from winning the Stanley Cup. Not to mention that Gillis got every single player for less than market value and excluding the Sedins and Higgins, every remaining NTC was moved out.

As for Benning, he has two playoff wins four years ago, on the backs of players with NTCs and NMCs given out by Mike Gillis. Miller and Vrbata could have been moved out, but were not. Sutter can be moved out, but won't be. Then we get to untradeable deals in Eriksson, Beagle, possibly Roussel and whatever ugly deal Edler is going to get.

EDIT: I know people have brought this up before, but it's a nice reminder. Also, it gets sad with this all laid out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryp37 and The Drop

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
This whole team is a joke. An utter pathetic joke. The fact that Edler would have been willing to waive his NTC if the Canucks didn't want him, but Benning preferred to re-sign a 33 year old defenseman is disgusting. It's unacceptable. I know the discussion is about what kind of contract he'll get, but the discussion should be about what we could get for Edler.

The fact is, this team is NOT in a rebuld. Benning has NEVER prioritized stockpiling any kind of draft picks. His defenders claim he's learning but there is zero proof of that as he continues to **** up almost every decision he makes. And now reading someone saying it's better to sign Edler to a 3 year deal with NMC (thus forcing the Canucks to protect him in the expansion draft) is better than letting him walk for nothing makes me sick.

Can you link the Edler article? I want to read it

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I get it, you don't like reality when it doesn't fit with your narrative.
When i was 4 my Dad told me you can hear the Sun sizzle the water when it goes down in it if you listen closely.

Weird.... he has always had a good repuation as an honest man

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I like this talk of Panarin to the Canucks but only as a UFA. One guy I'd be willing to give an 8 figure salary to.

I'd absolutely be okay with it, but with the amount of longterm bad contracts Benning has saddled this team with I'd be very hesitant.

member 290103

I like this talk of Panarin to the Canucks but only as a UFA. One guy I'd be willing to give an 8 figure salary to.

He is really what they need. Offensively gifted top 6 winger. Wouldnt mind Dim doing his thing giving the cheque book to his agent.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He is really what they need. Offensively gifted top 6 winger. Wouldnt mind Dim doing his thing giving the cheque book to his agent.

I said over a month ago I would target Panarin and Stone hard in free agency IF we could get rid of all of Jimbo's bad contracts (Gudbranson, Eriksson, Gagner-now Spooner, Beagle, and Sutter). I still feel that way. If we can dump these bad contracts (and not re-sign Edler), and convince Eriksson to retire, it could be a big UFA season for us. But that won't happen.

Reactions: Peen

member 290103

The fact is, this team is NOT in a rebuld. Benning has NEVER prioritized stockpiling any kind of draft picks. His defenders claim he's learning but there is zero proof of that as he continues to **** up almost every decision he makes. And now reading someone saying it's better to sign Edler to a 3 year deal with NMC (thus forcing the Canucks to protect him in the expansion draft) is better than letting him walk for nothing makes me sick.

100% agree. It’s difficult to not get angry. It really is.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

member 290103

I said over a month ago I would target Panarin and Stone hard in free agency IF we could get rid of all of Jimbo's bad contracts (Gudbranson, Eriksson, Gagner-now Spooner, Beagle, and Sutter). I still feel that way. If we can dump these bad contracts (and not re-sign Edler), and convince Eriksson to retire, it could be a big UFA season for us. But that won't happen.

Benning likely doesn’t see those as bad contracts.

If I have to hear him say that he likes Edler because he mentors “Petey” again, I’ll tear my hair out. Nice try Jim, but do actually expect us to buy that Pettersson needs an aging injury riddled Edler in his team to be successful? Get off it.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Honest to god, if it meant releasing all of our players and prospects and starting completely from scratch without even one player on the roster, I would take that deal to get rid of Benning & Weisbrod in favour of a competent front office. Yes, including Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat etc.

That's how bad this organization needs new leadership.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Honest to god, if it meant releasing all of our players and prospects and starting completely from scratch without even one player on the roster, I would take that deal to get rid of Benning & Weisbrod in favour of a competent front office. Yes, including Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat etc.

That's how bad this organization needs new leadership.
Thats dedication,..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad