18/19 MGMT thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Latest from @canuckfan75, who has called things in the past, is that Benning has until next year to make the playoffs. If he doesn't, he's gone. (Correct me if I'm wrong here)

Canucksfan75 has also gone onto say that Weisbrod is in serious consideration for the job, and that nobody wants to work for the family [paraphrasing].

Makes sense. With meddlesome poor rep owners and with Linden's departure, I can't imagine that there are a lot of legitimate candidates beating down the door to work here. There was a rumour a while back about Aqua having approached Lombardi, and nothing came of it. Lombardi currently works for PHI as a scout. He's had a history of running the show in LA for a much more relaxed owner. There's a youtube alumni video where he talks about this. I can't imagine he'd do an about-face and work for the opposite in Aqua...

To bring this back to Benning, he has a 2 year contract with a 3rd year club option. If what Canucksfan75 is true, basically, Aqua will let him play out his actual contract length and just not exercise the option should Benning miss the playoffs next year.

So we're going to absolutely waste every single one of EP's ELC years + his remaining 4 RFA years (in the Weisbrod retool era).

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Trump and Pence are both complicit and will be going to jail so... Nancy Pelosi?

bush and cheney didn't go to jail for mowing down 1 million iraqis. trump's crimes are misdemeanors by comparison.

anyway, I wouldn't get into predicting what Aquilini is going to do. He is an impulsive dumbass. My gut tells me Benning won't get another contract or extension with the Canucks, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In a way yeah. All of these players were known to be ineffective at the NHL level when we acquired them.

Please explain how they have large frames and perceived toughness: Pouliot, Del Zotto, Clendenning, Holm, and Larsen. Del Zotto is buff and hits? What about the others?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Please explain how they have large frames and perceived toughness: Pouliot, Del Zotto, Clendenning, Holm, and Larsen. Del Zotto is buff and hits? What about the others?

I think he just pointed to one specific target group but in general one can say all pro scouting defense acquisitions of the Benning regime have proven to be utterly disappointing and useless. Jimbo has been in charge for almost 5 years now and he hasnt been able to acquire a single player (via pro-scouting) who would qualify as a solid top 4 (or even top 6) guy. It has generally been a shit show and I dont know how anyone would want this buffon to be in charge to compile the roster during Petterssons prime years. What a waste of a wonderful talent.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

They all fit into an archetypal (and archaic) categorization of "offensive d-man" (MDZ, Larsen, Clendening, Pou) or "stay at home d-man" (Pedan, Gudbranson, Schenn), all of whom have glaring holes and don't have any place on a modern NHL team (and are cast offs from other orgs for very good reasons).

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
To be fair we have no clue who is actually doing the pro scouting. The results suggests its Aquilini ... Or the janitor.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Man, I wish Goldobin and Tryamkin would hire some russian hackers to hijack Jimbos email account. Guess that would be fun to read and also lead to him being removed from his GM position immidiately if published.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Man, I wish Goldobin and Tryamkin would hire some russian hackers to hijack Jimbos email account. Guess that would be fun to read and also lead to him being removed from his GM position immidiately if published.

The legitimate contents would somehow "not count" because of how they were obtained and Gillis would end up being investigated for colluding with Goldy and Tryamkin.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

These signings were to address the "powerplay defencemen" he says that he wants in all the draft videos. He has acquired his fair share of crappy stay-at-home defencemen though and gave up several picks and prospects to do so.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
To be fair we have no clue who is actually doing the pro scouting. The results suggests its Aquilini ... Or the janitor.

I'm gonna go with Jim Benning and his outdated white board, John "I love Granlund" Weisbrod and the pro scouts - Lou Crawford, Brett Henning, Lars Lindgren, Neil Komadoski, David Volek and Brian Chapman

So a former coach's brother, former assistant GM's son, an alumni, then Volek who Benning worked with in Buffalo, Chapman who played for the Moose when they were our farm and whoever the f*** Neil Komadoski is

Real recipe for success.

Chapman's been here since 08 and was moved to pro scouting last year along with Volek whose only been here a short amount of time.

Now which of these muppets scout the NHL I do not know, I'd wager guys like Volek scout the European pro leagues but that's jsut a guess

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Benning keeps racking up the good trades while getting no credit for it. He parlayed Nillson for a pick to Ottawa just before they went on a western road trip...guess what? They beat two of the teams the Canucks are trying to catch and then beat Dallas at home last night with Nilsson in the nets. To make this trade with that type of foresight is very impressive. He just traded Del Zotto for a draft pick and Luke Schenn, a player who will help the Comets. Del Zotto would have been claimed on waivers but now the Comets get a solid Dman.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Benning keeps racking up the good trades while getting no credit for it. He parlayed Nillson for a pick to Ottawa just before they went on a western road trip...guess what? They beat two of the teams the Canucks are trying to catch and then beat Dallas at home last night with Nilsson in the nets. To make this trade with that type of foresight is very impressive. He just traded Del Zotto for a draft pick and Luke Schenn, a player who will help the Comets. Del Zotto would have been claimed on waivers but now the Comets get a solid Dman.

The fact that Nilson is playing well does not make the trade better or worse.

Also trading players for 6th round picks is not a good trade. Unless said played had a bad contract and we are getting something for dumping a contract.

But I guess you can spin 2 6th round picks into a victory of some sorts. Wake me up when the canucks get more than a 4th rounder.

Reactions: pomorick

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
' Being positive in a negative situation is not naive. It's leadership '
Mark Boroweicki

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I will never quote that, at least Boroweicki's quote had some philosophical merit to it. I would hate to see your haiku's.

They're really quite stellar. I'm a fan of Japanese literature and culture.

Besides, I was being positive.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
You were expecting the replies to this to be much different, weren’t you? :laugh:

Benning is an awful GM.

I was expecting at least some gratitude to the man for drafting the best Canuck in franchise history at 5th overall which is historically very very unlikely to draft a franchise level talent from.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Um, how is this not setting off a billion alarm bells unless it was posted elsewhere and I missed it?

Jason Botchford said:
I do think the Canucks 2019 first-round pick could get that and there is lots of speculation if it’s not in the top 10, Vancouver would consider moving it.

It’s not that crazy.

A couple of host cities have moved their first-round picks at the draft recently.

Plus, the Canucks have been down this road before, flirting with the idea of trading for both Hanifin and Subban in previous drafts.

I expect them to explore this lane again.

What happened to the embargo on trading picks for the 2019 draft? We're right back to age gapping?

Reactions: Peter10

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Um, how is this not setting off a billion alarm bells unless it was posted elsewhere and I missed it?

What happened to the embargo on trading picks for the 2019 draft? We're right back to age gapping?

He's not suggesting that he has heard rumours, he is suggesting that we do so. And Botchford is blatantly incorrect. The last host to trade completely out of the first round was NJD in 2013 and we all know what happened there. The pick was traded at the draft for Schneider, so the fans at least got to enjoy that.

Actually going back even further than that, and the last time that the host of the draft did not select in the first round was 1979, and I think all the drafts were being held in Montreal (and not televised).

To think that the Canucks 1st rounder is on the table is completely false.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad