18/19 MGMT thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Tied on points having played 3 more games is nothing special.

Getting in or just missing is more of a sign about the lack of quality teams in the league than something special from this management group.

This team is still on pace for less points than they had in the Tortorella year where heads rolled.
I think the Pettersson pick bought him at least another season whether I agree with it or not. How much he even has to do with the picks I have no idea. I do believe that Jim will have time to see his vision through, though.

Whatever that vision is. :huh:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Looking forward to Schenn’s contract extension
image.png.1ddd897f8e3b1d628c5852ee74e52908.png

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Because he's a high draft pedigree with a large frame and perceived toughness. He's just who Erik Gudbranson will be in 3 years.
Have you ever think of the possibility that we acquired Schenn because:
1. He’s already in the minor
2. Anaheim needs to dump a contract back

No? Not at all ?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Because he's a high draft pedigree with a large frame and perceived toughness. He's just who Erik Gudbranson will be in 3 years.

So one acquisition. What about Pouliot, Del Zotto, Clendenning, Holm, Larsen? Same type of Dmen? Such Vancouver pro-scouting players eh?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think the Pettersson pick bought him at least another season whether I agree with it or not. How much he even has to do with the picks I have no idea. I do believe that Jim will have time to see his vision through, though.

Whatever that vision is. :huh:

Latest from @canuckfan75, who has called things in the past, is that Benning has until next year to make the playoffs. If he doesn't, he's gone. (Correct me if I'm wrong here)

Canucksfan75 has also gone onto say that Weisbrod is in serious consideration for the job, and that nobody wants to work for the family [paraphrasing].

Makes sense. With meddlesome poor rep owners and with Linden's departure, I can't imagine that there are a lot of legitimate candidates beating down the door to work here. There was a rumour a while back about Aqua having approached Lombardi, and nothing came of it. Lombardi currently works for PHI as a scout. He's had a history of running the show in LA for a much more relaxed owner. There's a youtube alumni video where he talks about this. I can't imagine he'd do an about-face and work for the opposite in Aqua...

To bring this back to Benning, he has a 2 year contract with a 3rd year club option. If what Canucksfan75 is true, basically, Aqua will let him play out his actual contract length and just not exercise the option should Benning miss the playoffs next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Latest from @canuckfan75, who has called things in the past, is that Benning has until next year to make the playoffs. If he doesn't, he's gone. (Correct me if I'm wrong here)

Canucksfan75 has also gone onto say that Weisbrod is in serious consideration for the job, and that nobody wants to work for the family [paraphrasing].

Makes sense. With meddlesome poor rep owners and with Linden's departure, I can't imagine that there are a lot of legitimate candidates beating down the door to work here. There was a rumour a while back about Aqua having approached Lombardi, and nothing came of it. Lombardi currently works for PHI as a scout. He's had a history of running the show in LA for a much more relaxed owner. There's a youtube alumni video where he talks about this. I can't imagine he'd do an about-face and work for the opposite in Aqua...

To bring this back to Benning, he has a 2 year contract with a 3rd year club option. If what Canucksfan75 is true, basically, Aqua will let him play out his actual contract length and just not exercise the option should Benning miss the playoffs next year.

Dean Lombardi works as a senior advisor and not a scout in PHI. According to Friendman, his contract has not "outs."

I do believe that Benning has max up to next season to make the playoffs.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The majority of the west plummeted in quality so Benning built a winner. Like I know I'm anti-Benning but nothing Benning has done has made this team better aside from Elias "Gretzky" Pettersson, though he is one hell of an add. There are a lot of bad additions or "meh but overpaid" additions which are extremely concerning. In addition to Pettersson Horvat improved again, Hutton improved, Markstrom improved and Edler is having a good year as well.

I like Roussel but both him and Beagle are meh. IIRC our winrate isn't much better than last year either. MDZ regressed even more, Pouliot, Gudbranson and Granlund are regulars. Eriksson is Eriksson. This is quite concerning.

If Benning stops sucking, replaces Pouliot and Granlund, as well as trading Gudbranson for an overpayment we could maybe have a legit team. Unfortunately we still have Eriksson, Schaller and Gagner eating 11m of cap and we need to dump some of that.

Roussel if he keeps playing like this is probably a slight overpayment and Beagle just isn't worth what he gets paid. Then Boeser is going to get a raise, Hutton should get a raise as will Leivo and Goldobin, though Edler should take a cut.

Lets not forget the reality that the man who acquired every single one of those bad players/contracts has to do all of that. It doesn't look good, boys.

Like I don't want to be that bitter guy seething that the team is doing well. I would love to be proven wrong, but it's clear who the problems are on the team and who acquired all of the problems. He added two key pieces as well as Sutter and Baertschi and then just a ton of trash. I'm scared and as much as I love Pettersson he has saved Benning's job and I just don't think he has the capability of assembling a winning roster.

It's over, he'll be here for another 4+ years.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The majority of the west plummeted in quality so Benning built a winner. Like I know I'm anti-Benning but nothing Benning has done has made this team better aside from Elias "Gretzky" Pettersson, though he is one hell of an add. There are a lot of bad additions or "meh but overpaid" additions which are extremely concerning. In addition to Pettersson Horvat improved again, Hutton improved, Markstrom improved and Edler is having a good year as well.

I like Roussel but both him and Beagle are meh. IIRC our winrate isn't much better than last year either. MDZ regressed even more, Pouliot, Gudbranson and Granlund are regulars. Eriksson is Eriksson. This is quite concerning.

If Benning stops sucking, replaces Pouliot and Granlund, as well as trading Gudbranson for an overpayment we could maybe have a legit team. Unfortunately we still have Eriksson, Schaller and Gagner eating 11m of cap and we need to dump some of that.

Roussel if he keeps playing like this is probably a slight overpayment and Beagle just isn't worth what he gets paid. Then Boeser is going to get a raise, Hutton should get a raise as will Leivo and Goldobin, though Edler should take a cut.

Lets not forget the reality that the man who acquired every single one of those bad players/contracts has to do all of that. It doesn't look good, boys.

Like I don't want to be that bitter guy seething that the team is doing well. I would love to be proven wrong, but it's clear who the problems are on the team and who acquired all of the problems. He added two key pieces as well as Sutter and Baertschi and then just a ton of trash. I'm scared and as much as I love Pettersson he has saved Benning's job and I just don't think he has the capability of assembling a winning roster.

It's over, he'll be here for another 4+ years.
Flames seem to be doing pretty good..good management etc..Hop on that bandwagon.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
So we're tied for a playoff spot as of right now in mid January and we have a relatively easy schedule ahead of us for the rest of the regular season basically. If this team does make the playoffs, how would it effect your view of the management team? What if they barely miss?
You were expecting the replies to this to be much different, weren’t you? :laugh:

Benning is an awful GM.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Are we buyers or sellers at TDL in March 2019 what is the GM plan? :)

There's nothing to sell, really. Tanev's trade value is in the tank, and it's pretty much known we won't trade Edler. The rest of the crap veterans on this roster might get MDZ level returns. I suppose we can stock up on 6th and 7th round picks and everyone can call Benning a genius.

Reactions: Ori

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

So essentially team tank has probably 1 year left. Though if Weisbrod is given the job things will continue to stay ugly.

member 290103

So essentially team tank has probably 1 year left. Though if Weisbrod is given the job things will continue to stay ugly.

It will get worse. Wisebrod thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and he’s only demonstrated that he completely inept.

We all need to basically resign ourselves to the fact that unless Frank Aqualini is removed or the family sells, the team will never be correctly managed.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If a poster with no particular credibility or inside information who deleted all of his posts before Jan 10, is correct in detail about several specific predictions, then yes.

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Rough morning pastor?
Yea he realized we weren’t rebuilding as per benning down words from feb 2018 and hasn’t been able to find a way to spin things since

May as well add this part in;
https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/press-conference-for-jim-benning-s-contract-extension-was-a-missed-opportunity-for-a-new-message-1.

“The bottom line is our goal is to win games and to be competitive to make the playoffs, that’s what we’re here for,” he added. Feb 2018 article

Reactions: timw33

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Benning and weisbrod are like trump and pence the replacement could be worse than the current moron,
Trump and Pence are both complicit and will be going to jail so... Nancy Pelosi?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So one acquisition. What about Pouliot, Del Zotto, Clendenning, Holm, Larsen? Same type of Dmen? Such Vancouver pro-scouting players eh?

In a way yeah. All of these players were known to be ineffective at the NHL level when we acquired them.

Reactions: geebaan

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

If this is true I don't know why Aquilini doesn't go ahead and name himself head of hockey operations. It's not like they'd really be fooling anyone.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad