18/19 MGMT thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
So we're tied for a playoff spot as of right now in mid January and we have a relatively easy schedule ahead of us for the rest of the regular season basically. If this team does make the playoffs, how would it effect your view of the management team? What if they barely miss?

Reactions: Gormo and Ori

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Tied on points having played 3 more games is nothing special.

Getting in or just missing is more of a sign about the lack of quality teams in the league than something special from this management group.

This team is still on pace for less points than they had in the Tortorella year where heads rolled.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
So we're tied for a playoff spot as of right now in mid January and we have a relatively easy schedule ahead of us for the rest of the regular season basically. If this team does make the playoffs, how would it effect your view of the management team? What if they barely miss?

Still incompetent idiots who do their best to destroy the franchise

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

I see this team as best as the same as the avalanche team that snuck into the 8 spot before bottoming out the following year again cause the team was crap. If they do it again next year and show marked improvement then I might change my opinion,

Them making the playoffs doesn’t change my opinion that benning will never be able to build a Stanley cup contender, as my goal for the team is a Stanley cup contender/champion; they have never once said that they want a stanley cup contender only a playoff contender. Those are 2 very different goals.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I would view the team as Cup contenders and we don't need anymore pieces. Granlund scoring a meaningful goal every 20 games is what wins you Cups.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I remain surprised how much of the media and fan base here are willing to turn a blind eye to the crisis that the Canucks currently have in the pro scouting department. It is monumentally bad.

Regardless of how you feel about Pettersson and Boeser (warm and fuzzy, probably) it's readily apparent that the current management team completely lacks the ability to assess talent after players turn roughly 17 years old. They don't trade often and when they do it's bad. Contracts under this regime have been a travesty with the go-to strategy obviously being "overpay for everything."

Even the successes are marginal given the price paid and the relative impact on the roster. The best you can basically hope for from the current management group is that their pro-level acquisitions have no net impact on the on-ice success of the team.

Why is this permitted, and in some cases supported? It is mind boggling.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Doesn't change my view at all. The team's analytics are still piss poor. This is still a very bad team that has been propped up and carried by a superstar rookie. If anything, it puts more urgency on the need to fire Benning and Weisbrod and bring in intelligent management so we can capitalize on what we have with Pettersson and bring someone in who can build a good team around him. Instead, we're stuck with an idiot who grossly overpays for 4th liners, and can't find any quality defensemen to save his life.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
It’s amazing how low the bar is that being a .500 team and being 21st in a league is considered a huge accomplishment.

They’re only in the hunt right now because the western conference playoff picture is historically mediocre, the last few years the cutoff has been around 95 points, the final wild card team is currently on pace for 86. If the Canucks were playing .500 hockey last season they’d be on track to miss the playoffs by 13 points.

This team has a ways to go before it’s a lock for the playoffs every year or a perennial cup contender, squeeking into the playoffs in a weak year means nothing when half the league makes it.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It’s amazing how low the bar is that being a .500 team and being 21st in a league is considered a huge accomplishment.

They’re only in the hunt right now because the western conference playoff picture is historically mediocre, the last few years the cutoff has been around 95 points, the final wild card team is currently on pace for 86. If the Canucks were playing .500 hockey last season they’d be on track to miss the playoffs by 13 points.

This team has a ways to go before it’s a lock for the playoffs every year or a perennial cup contender, squeeking into the playoffs in a weak year means nothing when half the league makes it.

Yep. And even missing it (along with like 4 other teams) by 5-8 points this management will see it as validation for the moves they've made, which is a nightmare.

Reactions: Jack Burton

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
:laugh:

A tweet (later deleted) by Dan Murphy this morning suggested the Canucks are looking to make a splash with Benning entering the final year of his contract next season.

I told you so. There is no rebuild.

Nothing changes.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Sacrificing assets to stay in the playoff hunt like NJ did last year only to be first round fodder for a contender or miss the playoffs entirely would be horrendous.

The problem is if they become active on the trade market, add pieces and end up squeaking into the playoffs, ownership/management could feel vindicated and think that an even bigger splash in the offseason which ends up coming back to bite them.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Are we buyers or sellers at TDL in March 2019 what is the GM plan? :)

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I was certain that we were rebuilding for sure - I had Vancouver in the unknown category though.
Hopefully we can move contracts like Loui, I know he has NMC, but sweet talk him into it. Sutter 2019-2020 NTC can be moved, Del Zotto, why is he here? He can be moved before UFA in 2019-20.

I mention players with a relative high cap hit with a low impact on game performance - so there are room for a rebuild or a big name UFA signing like Panarin.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Although I prefer the trend of acquiring picks—albeit late ones—for players, I think it is absolutely hilarious that we acquired Luke Schenn. He is such a Vancouver pro scouting player.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Although I prefer the trend of acquiring picks—albeit late ones—for players, I think it is absolutely hilarious that we acquired Luke Schenn. He is such a Vancouver pro scouting player.

Vancouver did make some pro scouting changes over the past 2 seasons and why is Schenn "such a Vancouver pro scouting player?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad