Post-Game Talk: #17 | Golden Knights at Flyers | November 18, 2023 | Flyers win 4-3 (OT)

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Entertaining game to watch. Pleasant to have it on in the background and pay close attention at times.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Yeah, 04 was rough especially. The hockey gods will eventually smile on the Flyers again though

Vegas has me rethinking that you need a top 1C and 1D to win. Maybe I’m underestimating Eichel, Theodore, and a 58 year old Alex P, but they seem to win with depth. If the Flyers aren’t going to be tanking, then perhaps they’ll need that depth to contend. I was hoping they’d find that elusive 1D and maybe 1c by drafting high the next couple years, but that doesn’t seem to be happening. I still think the future is bright 3-5 years down the road. They’ll be adding hopefully a couple top line players in the next few years. I think it’s going to come down to how the defensive prospects pan out. Part of me wants to take 2 swings at Dmen in this year’s draft if they are drafting teens or later. Can Sanheim maintain this level of play? Can York take the next step? Can Bonk, Zamula, etc become good 2nd pair or better players? If they can “depth up” the defensive core, it might offset not having that bonafide 1D. I think the offense will be great 3-5 years from now. It’s the D I’m interested in

Vegas has a lot more talent than just those 3. Stone, Marchessault, and Karlsson were all contributors to last years win.

The problem with the Flyers isn't they are drafting in the top 12 year after year, they just need to stop spending draft capital and salary cap on 2nd tier and lower players (i.e. Ristolanien, Andrew MacDonalds, ....)

Once this organization sniffs the playoffs they instantly become buyers.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Vegas has a lot more talent than just those 3. Stone, Marchessault, and Karlsson were all contributors to last years win.

The problem with the Flyers isn't they are drafting in the top 12 year after year, they just need to stop spending draft capital and salary cap on 2nd tier and lower players (i.e. Ristolanien, Andrew MacDonalds, ....)

Do you think they will do that again this season with entirely new management? Briere and Jones have to be an improvement over the last several years, simply because they can't be worse than Fletcher and that corporate guy, right? Just being hopeful I guess.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

This 100%. It's not about tanking - it's about holding on to assets for the right time with an eye for the future.

Straight tanking is also proving to be futile, and even still requires a lot of luck.

Reactions: tucson83

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020

I’m not saying they don’t have good players, just that most of their players are what I would consider depth and not core. If I’m building a team from scratch it’s not gonna hinge all on Marchessault, Stone, and Karlsson. They are fine players but there are plenty of players in the league around their level.

It’s obvious the Flyers have been badly run the past decade and many poor decisions were made in many facets. Hopefully that will change. We can’t change the past and it’s already done. We can only hope that the Flyers have a better direction from this point onwards

Reactions: renberg

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
This is turning into a worst case scenario season. Blow the draft position and give management an excuse to buy and extend 30 year olds.
I don't think they're going to trade anyone young/good. Extending Walker for a couple years (NOT 4) would be fine I think. He wouldn't be expensive or old at the end of 2 or 3 years. I know years of futility and utter stupidity has us expecting more of the same, but I like Jones and Briere's performance so far.

Reactions: tucson83

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
giphy.gif

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
What the previous poster said. They played him at center and he performed extremely well.

He also wants to play center, and Torts made Cates a center even when he's better at W. Michkov can exceed anywhere due to his IQ. I think he'll be a C here - it'll take some time to adapt, but he wants it, the organization needs it, seems like a no-brainer.

Michkov either is or was playing center, as is Cutter. Michkov's skillset translate to center much better than Cutter's. Everything Cutter excels at screams winger.
Which is also fine, because we have no LWs.

They just need to find/trade/sign/acquire a top pair D-prospect. This was a major need until Sanheim blew up - if he plays like this (yet to be seen), he'll be fine for the next 5-6 years. But it'd be good to have a successor.

Reactions: tnfrs

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Assuming Walker plays out the season at this level, I really do wonder if they can extend him or if it would even be beneficial in the long term?

He's having a great season nearing 30 so I'd imagine it's just in his best interest to find the biggest paycheck he can.
This is the exact thinking that needs to be avoided - sell sell sell. The Flyers have a long history of not being able to stick to the plan

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
What the previous poster said. They played him at center and he performed extremely well.

He also wants to play center, and Torts made Cates a center even when he's better at W. Michkov can exceed anywhere due to his IQ. I think he'll be a C here - it'll take some time to adapt, but he wants it, the organization needs it, seems like a no-brainer.

Which is also fine, because we have no LWs.

They just need to find/trade/sign/acquire a top pair D-prospect. This was a major need until Sanheim blew up - if he plays like this (yet to be seen), he'll be fine for the next 5-6 years. But it'd be good to have a successor.
I imagine they will be looking for defenseman next draft. If there's a big upside type D who drops they kind of have to do it even if they have to pass on a forward that others would be happy to have.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think they're going to trade anyone young/good. Extending Walker for a couple years (NOT 4) would be fine I think. He wouldn't be expensive or old at the end of 2 or 3 years. I know years of futility and utter stupidity has us expecting more of the same, but I like Jones and Briere's performance so far.

What new management? The current management already worked for the team, and so far they've been doing more of the same. It's depressing as hell to watch.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Only saw the highlights, but looked like a fun game. Tipper had two brutal turnovers, and Sanheim had one. Nice to see Hart continue to play well.

This team has first round playoff loss written all over it, but at least the team is fun to watch. Walker is a revelation.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaCryers

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
This 100%. It's not about tanking - it's about holding on to assets for the right time with an eye for the future.

Straight tanking is also proving to be futile, and even still requires a lot of luck.
Straight tanking worked for the Lightening, Pens, Caps, Hawks, Kings and Avs

It's also worked great for a bunch of teams that haven't won a cup but consistently have great seasons and are favorites headed into the playoffs. They are far more likely to break through simply by being contenders year after year.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
put bonk and zamula on the sanheim health and fitness plan, tell them each to get a bowflex and start early

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
I'm really liking walker personally, however, I believe he's someone that selling high on him helps us alot more in the long term, I get that people miss flyers playoff hockey, but I don't want to be a team that barely gets in and is bounced in the first round year after year, and at this point that's exactly what we would be, and we were stuck in that mediocrity for a decade, I'd really not like to spend another decade in that position, but I really don't have faith that this management group can see the bigger picture, if they could see the bigger picture Laughton would have already been gone and Staal wouldn't be here (regardless of the salary he makes)

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
The current management already worked for the team

I'll just quote the relevant part for you since you seemed to struggle with the concept.

From your link.

"After his retirement, Brière remained involved in the Flyers organization. In June 2017, it was announced that he had been appointed to run the day-to-day operations of the upcoming Maine Mariners that had been purchased by the Flyers' owners Comcast Spectacor and moved to Portland, Maine, to begin play in 2018–19.[34] Partway through the 2021–22 season, Brière was named the special assistant to the general manager for the Flyers"

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Straight tanking worked for the Lightening, Pens, Caps, Hawks, Kings and Avs

It's also worked great for a bunch of teams that haven't won a cup but consistently have great seasons and are favorites headed into the playoffs. They are far more likely to break through simply by being contenders year after year.
winning cups taking patience, you cant just tank and expect a cup in one year, it's crazy. vegas won their cup without tanking and make the playoffs every year, what's wrong with that approach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad