Post-Game Talk: #17 | Golden Knights at Flyers | November 18, 2023 | Flyers win 4-3 (OT)

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
winning cups taking patience, you cant just tank and expect a cup in one year, it's crazy. vegas won their cup without tanking and make the playoffs every year, what's wrong with that approach?

Every time you post it gets more and more outlandish, so I just have to take the bait this time. I'm not a very knowledgable person regarding hockey ops, but your disingenuous arguments are really aggravating and today I'm just not feeling it so I'm going to take the time to reply.

No one, and I repeat no one believes the best strategy is to "tank one year, win the draft, then win the cup". My guy, not a single person here believes that is even an OK strategy at best, when we all acknowledge the crapshoot that which is the draft lottery.

For the umpteenth time, it is about acquiring assets for a longer-term build. To increase the likelihood of building a contender. To build depth so when future star players come to Philly, like we had when Voracek and Giroux were here, we don't waste their entire primes without a supporting cast to get them over the hump. 1 line cannot win the cup, let alone a single playoff round. I speak for everyone when I say, we all would be ecstatic for a cup win, even if it was 1 and done. The chances of that though are slim-to-none. If you would truly consider the way the front office operates with objectivity, then you would see we are literally in the Twilight Zone and it has to get worse before it can get better. The same old, same old DOES NOT work. I am not advocating for a complete tear-down, but there are particular players who should be moved to garner the assets to help torpedo the alleged "rebuild" (that isn't happening).

Using Vegas an example of how a team doesn't tank is quite a ridiculous and disingenuous argument. They're an expansion team from 2017; they have not been around for decades and they have not been drafting/developing players for decades like other franchises. They entered the league and went to the Stanley Cup. Why, you ask? Well, if you want to know the answer then you should look into all of the assets they acquired by leveraging GMs who were unsure how to negotiate during the building of Vegas as well as analyze the players they handpicked from each NHL team's roster. If you think it's normal for an expansion team to go 51-24-7 in their inaugural season, well, I've got 10 bridges to sell you.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Homer's "just get in a ya never know", is alive and well in the franchise. We know Jonesey believes it. Jones has also talked about the importance of a true 1D, which Homer believed as well judging by the Pronger trade.

They love to fixate on their confirmation bias of teams like the Blues, Golden Knights and Bruins. They focus not on the probable path to a cup, but by just getting lucky. Fans seem to focus on the same.

If Sanheim keeps up his solid play, who knows what they can convince themselves of.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Part of prior management, who are almost entirely still here and running things.
Minus Chuck Fletcher though right?

Keith Jones

"I'm Keith Jones and I want to bring back guys like Kent Manderville and Dale Weise. You know guys that play the game the right way. I talked to Bobby about it and agree we need more guys that bring grit and toughness and I hate Russians too"

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Also I have Marchesuasuuausauaysudusuauayaualt and Couturier in fantasy so I am the real winner.

Never mind that I'm already being blown out because I forgot to do my roster for half the week

I got Couts and Sanheim very late in my fantasy draft. Looking like absolute steals

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Using Vegas an example of how a team doesn't tank is quite a ridiculous and disingenuous argument. They're an expansion team from 2017; they have not been around for decades and they have not been drafting/developing players for decades like other franchises. They entered the league and went to the Stanley Cup. Why, you ask? Well, if you want to know the answer then you should look into all of the assets they acquired by leveraging GMs who were unsure how to negotiate during the building of Vegas as well as analyze the players they handpicked from each NHL team's roster. If you think it's normal for an expansion team to go 51-24-7 in their inaugural season, well, I've got 10 bridges to sell you.
if the flyers are building that way with about a bunch of 25 to 30 old players the same way vegas was building and we are winning, why is that such a bad thing? heck we could have tons of cap space in a few years which we could add a few difference makers that could get us back in the finals.

look at the oilers, look at sabres for crying out loud, they havent done nothing, why do you want the flyers to do that approach when it doesnt work? they cant even attract great talent, is that something you want, no good players coming here and being stuck like them?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2c0c5b31-9fbc-4721-9047-7895cf207417_text.gif

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
winning cups taking patience, you cant just tank and expect a cup in one year, it's crazy. vegas won their cup without tanking and make the playoffs every year, what's wrong with that approach?

Nobody at all said anything about tanking taking one year.

Hell, a problem many of us routinely point out is that the Flyers don't have the patience to see a rebuild through, so we keep getting half measures. That's what they're doing again.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Minus Chuck Fletcher though right?

Keith Jones

"I'm Keith Jones and I want to bring back guys like Kent Manderville and Dale Weise. You know guys that play the game the right way. I talked to Bobby about it and agree we need more guys that bring grit and toughness and I hate Russians too"

Keith Jones also worked for the team and it's pretty absurdly obvious now that the team was including him in discussions prior to promoting him.

It is literally the same group minus one guy. And considering we heard endlessly (as a supposed positive) how collaborative Fletcher allowed things to be, that's very bad.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Homer's "just get in a ya never know", is alive and well in the franchise. We know Jonesey believes it. Jones has also talked about the importance of a true 1D, which Homer believed as well judging by the Pronger trade.

They love to fixate on their confirmation bias of teams like the Blues, Golden Knights and Bruins. They focus not on the probable path to a cup, but by just getting lucky. Fans seem to focus on the same.

If Sanheim keeps up his solid play, who knows what they can convince themselves of.
The best part is there were 3 formers top 5 picks on both the Knights and Blues plus Seguin on the Bruins (and technically Thornton)

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Keith Jones also worked for the team and it's pretty absurdly obvious now that the team was including him in discussions prior to promoting him.

It is literally the same group minus one guy. And considering we heard endlessly (as a supposed positive) how collaborative Fletcher allowed things to be, that's very bad.

What makes you say that it is obvious they included him in discussions prior to promoting him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad