Lindsay
1st in ppg 0.10 ahead of #2
1st in assists
1st team all star

Which was the better season?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
crosby individually and team wise since he won the Hart, and his team was in first place

CM had a horrible start to the season, his finish was insane. 1000000% would have won the hart if the oilers made the playoffs

Reactions: Ageless

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's Crosby pretty comfortably, a big reason being that goal scoring was much lower in 2013-2014 than it was in 2017-2018. Not only that, but Crosby was more evenly distributed in his production than McDavid was last year, which is a big positive in my eyes.

Edit: Fixing the wording to make it better.

Last edited:
Reactions: SillyRabbit

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Crosby

McDavid wasn't that much more dominant than his peers, either last year or the year prior. Sid was the best by a mile that year, not even close.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
It's Crosby pretty comfortably, a big reason being that goal scoring was much lower in 2013-2014 than it was in 2017-2018. Not only that, but Crosby didn't pad his stats at the end of the season after his team was eliminated like McDavid did.

Lol what a stupid excuse. What was McDavid supposed to do? Stop playing after they were eliminated? Play goalie?
McDavid is as consistent as it gets, easily the most consistent player in the league.

Reactions: imtheboy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol what a stupid excuse. What was McDavid supposed to do? Stop playing after they were eliminated? Play goalie?
McDavid is as consistent as it gets, easily the most consistent player in the league.

The point was more so that McDavid having a poor start to the year (for his standards) really hurt the Oilers, and he didn't start piling on points until after they were basically out of the playoff picture. Had he produced at a consistent 108 point pace all year, maybe the Oilers wouldn't have been basically out of the playoffs by February. McDavid started last year with 54 points in 49 games and then finished with 54 points in his last 33 games.

I don't think as highly of players who put up points in bunches, it's why I was ultra critical of Neal in Pittsburgh. Obviously McDavid isn't like that, but him putting up a consistent 108 point pace over a full season is better than him putting up a **** load of points in a run and ending with the same amount of points.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
And McDavid went on a late season run the year the Oilers made the playoffs so that argument is really stupid.

Reactions: A91

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
The point was more so that McDavid having a poor start to the year (for his standards) really hurt the Oilers, and he didn't start piling on points until after they were basically out of the playoff picture. Had he produced at a consistent 108 point pace all year, maybe the Oilers wouldn't have been basically out of the playoffs by February. McDavid started last year with 54 points in 49 games and then finished with 54 points in his last 33 games.

Fair enough, just wouldnt call it "padding stats" he was just trying his best to help the team win. The Oilers in general were really f***ing bad to start last season, so the fact he was still above ppg is amazing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fair enough, just wouldnt call it "padding stats" he was just trying his best to help the team win. The Oilers in general were really ****ing bad to start last season, so the fact he was still above ppg is amazing.

Yeah, "padding stats" wasn't good wording by me. I strongly dislike players who put up points in bunches compared to players who produce consistently, which stems back to players like Neal for the Penguins. McDavid having such a drastic difference in pace is a negative in my eyes, because he'd help the team more if his production was more evenly distributed over the season. He has been a lot better at that this year than he was last year, so I obviously don't think it's a problem with him going forward. It's just something that hurts him in the specific season we're looking at.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, "padding stats" wasn't good wording by me. I strongly dislike players who put up points in bunches compared to players who produce consistently, which stems back to players like Neal for the Penguins. McDavid having such a drastic difference in pace is a negative in my eyes, because he'd help the team more if his production was more evenly distributed over the season. He has been a lot better at that this year than he was last year, so I obviously don't think it's a problem with him going forward. It's just something that hurts him in the specific season we're looking at.
The argument could also be made that while we're talking about a generational player, he wouldn't have been the first 20/21 year old player to be noticeably better at the end of the season than he was at the beginning.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Fair enough I know what you mean, guys like Jordan Eberle and Sam Gagner did this a lot especially against bad teams.
Thing is even with the drastic difference in pace that you mentioned (54 in 49) he was on pace for 90 points which would have put him 10th in scoring, one ahead of Sids 89. Its not like he was producing at a 60 point pace and costing us, he was still a top10 producer. The 54/33 had him at a 134 pace which is just him going into beast mode.

Re the bolded, I would wait until the season is over to say that, I have a feeling his going to tear it up here down the stretch.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
The point was more so that McDavid having a poor start to the year (for his standards) really hurt the Oilers, and he didn't start piling on points until after they were basically out of the playoff picture.

This is a weird-ass argument being put up against Sidney "Notoriously Slow Starter" Crosby.

Reactions: Regal

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

I don't think as highly of players who put up points in bunches, it's why I was ultra critical of Neal in Pittsburgh. Obviously McDavid isn't like that, but him putting up a consistent 108 point pace over a full season is better than him putting up a **** load of points in a run and ending with the same amount of points.
He roughly was on the same track during that year compared to the previous year. It wasn’t like he wasn’t producing at the same right only to produce at a higher one.

17: 27-11-23-34
18: 27-11-21-32

17: 41-14-32-46
18: 41-14-32-46

17: 62-20-49-69
18: 62-27-47-74

The last 22 games in ‘18 he was 22-14-23-37
The last 22 games in ‘17 he was 22-10-23-33

Before those 22, in ‘18 he was 60-27-44-71
Before those 22, in ‘17 he was 60-20-47-67

A 4 point difference from the previous year had EVERYONE up in arms about how he didn’t care before the Oilers were out of the playoffs, and then decided to “pad” his stats and actually try. Just false on all counts, all pushed and ranted about over and over again by....let’s say, uneducated fans. The irony is, those same fans would complain if McDavids pace slowed Considerably after the Oilers fell out of the race, probably talk about how he isn’t a good leader and gave up. Either way, people will look to belittle him.

McDavids 2018 was actually much more impressive because of his ES production.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Most players have these types of splits if you make the right cutoffs.

McDavid had 40 points in his first 34 games, and 68 in his final 48.

Crosby had 67 in his first 46 and 37 in his final 33.

Crosby also had a run of 34 games from game 5 to game 38 where he had 49 points. Crosby had 19 pointless games, McDavid had 24. The difference in consistency is marginal. It doesn't really matter when you have your hot streak in the season, a win is a win.

Last edited:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
But was Crosby’s competition that year really that superior to McDavids?

McDavid's competition this season is looking better than Crosby's in 2014. It wasn't like guys like Malkin and Ovechkin were at their best that season (actually, Malkin was very productive per game but only played 60 games). Tavares (who would almost win the Art Ross in 2015) got hurt and missed games that season. Stamkos (a top two scorer in each of the previous seasons) suffered a leg injury. It wasn't a great season for high-end scoring. This season is, with guys like Kucherov, Kane, Rantanen and Gaudreau scoring at high levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatGonzo

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby was not really any better in 2014 than he has been in any of his 4 consecutive 80 something point seasons since then. He just got more arbitrary secondary assists like the one in this video:

Some NHL Stars Get More Assists At Home Than They Deserve

Some folks might look at him going from 34 secondary assists in 13-14 to 17 secondary assists in 16-17 and conclude that Sidney Crosby forgot how to pass the puck despite his goals and primary assists being substantially more steady (by a factor of 2). Seems to me the 34 vs the 17 isn't indicative of much of anything.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
G-A1-A2
McDavid 2018 41-39-28
Crosby 2014 36-34-34

Primary points (G+A1)
McDavid 2018 80
Crosby 2014 70

ES
McDavid 2018 35G, 84P
Crosby 2014 25G, 66P

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Crosby was not really any better in 2014 than he has been in any of his 4 consecutive 80 something point seasons since then. He just got more arbitrary secondary assists like the one in this video:

Some NHL Stars Get More Assists At Home Than They Deserve

Some folks might look at him going from 34 secondary assists in 13-14 to 17 secondary assists in 16-17 and conclude that Sidney Crosby forgot how to pass the puck despite his goals and primary assists being substantially more steady (by a factor of 2). Seems to me the 34 vs the 17 isn't indicative of much of anything.
Lol and here we go with the second assist nonesense. How original! When will people just friggin give up on this crap?

McDavid because Getzlaf was better than Crosby in 13-14
Uh, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad