17-18 Mcdavid vs 13-14 Crosby

Better season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Thank you for proving my point, cause two 7th place selke finishes make him a pretty good defensive forward, but not elite. If so, he would have won the trophy or atleast crack the top 3 a few times
He’s getting serious buzz this year. 55% in the dot. Penalty killing with 61 points in 50 games. Does it all

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
He’s getting serious buzz this year. 55% in the dot. Penalty killing with 61 points in 50 games. Does it all

He’s on the right track but he needs to keep up this pace a season long. If he ends up a finalist for the Selke by the end of the season, then I might consider him an elite defensive forward

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
He’s on the right track but he needs to keep up this pace a season long. If he ends up a finalist for the Selke by the end of the season, then I might consider him an elite defensive forward
Do you watch sid play? He’s always down low helping out his D. Always. He’s usually the one who starts the breakout

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Do you watch sid play? He’s always down low helping out his D. Always. He’s usually the one who starts the breakout

I watch almost every game.

I hope he hits 100 points and find himself among the Selke finalist by the end of the season. If he does, that would mean he’s carrying both the offense & defense at the same time.

That would make him the best in the world again

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
G-A1-A2
McDavid 2018 41-39-28
Crosby 2014 36-34-34

Primary points (G+A1)
McDavid 2018 80
Crosby 2014 70

ES
McDavid 2018 35G, 84P
Crosby 2014 25G, 66P

Better Primary points and ES production?

Don't know why the poll is so onesided in Crosby's favour

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I watch almost every game.

I hope he hits 100 points and find himself among the Selke finalist by the end of the season. If he does, that would mean he’s carrying both the offense & defense at the same time.

That would make him the best in the world again
Crosby is the type of player you can have out in all situations. I’m not saying he’s Bobby Clarke out there but for a an all time great scorer he cleans up well.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
17-18 Mcdavid
82-41-67-108
Art Ross (6 point win)
Lindsay
5th in hart voting
1st in ppg 0.1 ahead of #2
1st team all star

13-14 Crosby
80-36-68-104
Art Ross (17 point lead)
Hart
Lindsay
1st in ppg 0.10 ahead of #2
1st in assists
1st team all star

Which was the better season?
McDavid's ppg lead should be .01, not .10

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Crosby is 366th in the NHL in penalty kill minutes. That's good for the fifth highest center for the Pens this season.

In 13-14 Crosby was 378th. Oh man what an epic feather in his cap.

But I can certainly see why you need to lie in order to make a case for Crosby's defense.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby also got sportsmanship award votes two Months after doing this:

Just more hardware on the shelf. There is basically nothing in the hockey world Crosby hasent won

Championships

Stanley cup x3 (x2 Smythe)
Olympic gold x2 (Ot winner, insurance goal)
World championship (scored in final)

NHL hardware/achievements
Hart x2
Art Ross x2
Richard x2
Smythe x2
Lindsay x3
Stanley cup final leading scorer
Playoff top scorer
Playoff top goal scorer
Playoff assist leader (x2)

International achievements

World Cup MVP
World Cup leading scorer
World championship leading scorer
World championship leading goal scorer
World championship best forward

Only thing left is the selke

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby is 366th in the NHL in penalty kill minutes. That's good for the fifth highest center for the Pens this season.

In 13-14 Crosby was 378th. Oh man what an epic feather in his cap.

But I can certainly see why you need to lie in order to make a case for Crosby's defense.
Crosby has been getting buzz for the selke this season... I’m not lying also his two 7th place finishes in selke voting is factual...

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Voted Crosby. Won the hart.

McDavid is starting the get in some serious award coversations if he wins the Ross again this year...the more he misses out on the hart by missing the playoffs the easier it's going to be to win the hart when he gets back to them.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Crosby has been getting buzz for the selke this season... I’m not lying also his two 7th place finishes in selke voting is factual...

By who though, Pittsburgh media? I really haven't heard anything this year. Crosby is a good possession player, but he really has no business in Selke talks, and I wonder how much of any discussion is simply name value and/or a narrative to explain his point totals being down.

Besides, this is about '14 Crosby anyway. Before any top 10 Selke finishes or his '16 playoff run where he was praised for his defense. '14 Crosby is a little better in his own zone compared to McDavid, mainly due to experience and ability to work the boards down low, but McDavid last year was better in the neutral zone, at striping pucks and putting pressure on the puck carrier. The defensive advantage isn't large, and since McDavid was a far better 5v5 scorer anyway, that defense still doesn't make him a better 5v5 player (the only place Crosby's defense matters).

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
By who though, Pittsburgh media? I really haven't heard anything this year. Crosby is a good possession player, but he really has no business in Selke talks, and I wonder how much of any discussion is simply name value and/or a narrative to explain his point totals being down.

Besides, this is about '14 Crosby anyway. Before any top 10 Selke finishes or his '16 playoff run where he was praised for his defense. '14 Crosby is a little better in his own zone compared to McDavid, mainly due to experience and ability to work the boards down low, but McDavid last year was better in the neutral zone, at striping pucks and putting pressure on the puck carrier. The defensive advantage isn't large, and since McDavid was a far better 5v5 scorer anyway, that defense still doesn't make him a better 5v5 player (the only place Crosby's defense matters).
Crosby led the league in EV points in 13-14. It was a lower scoring season so you can’t compare the totals like that. Both were the best EV players in the league. But Crosby was a more dominant player

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Crosby led the league in EV points in 13-14. It was a lower scoring season so you can’t compare the totals like that. Both were the best EV players in the league. But Crosby was a more dominant player

Not all leaders are the same. McDavid was far above the pack. Crosby had 2 points more than Getzlaf, 3 more than Perry, 4 more than Hall and 6 more than Kessel. McDavid had 18 more points than Giroux, 20 more than MacKinnon, 20 more than Kucherov and 21 more than Kopitar.

The scorers after McDavid looked very similar to Crosby's competition as well. The 2-5 placed scorers in '14 were 64, 63, 62 and 60. The 2-5 for McDavid were 66, 64, 64, 63.

At 5v5, Crosby was actually 3rd in points, 4 behind both Getzlaf and Perry, while McDavid had a 12 point lead on Kucherov.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatGonzo

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
L
17-18 Mcdavid
82-41-67-108
Art Ross (6 point win)
Lindsay
5th in hart voting
1st in ppg 0.1 ahead of #2
1st team all star

13-14 Crosby
80-36-68-104
Art Ross (17 point lead)
Hart
Lindsay
1st in ppg 0.10 ahead of #2
1st in assists
1st team all star

Which was the better season?
you do realize 0.1 and 0.10 are the same number right?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I believe it was either the TSN broadcast when the Pens played the Sens or the HNIC broadcast when the Pens played the Leafs this past week that someone on the intermission panel said "I'm surprised there's not more discussion of Crosby for the Selke this year".

No, I don't think he will win. No, I don't think he *should* win. But it's not just Pittsburgh media that's mentioned it. Pretty much every "away" broadcast I've watched has touched upon how Crosby probably should be getting at least some sort of mention in Selke discussions.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I believe it was either the TSN broadcast when the Pens played the Sens or the HNIC broadcast when the Pens played the Leafs this past week that someone on the intermission panel said "I'm surprised there's not more discussion of Crosby for the Selke this year".

No, I don't think he will win. No, I don't think he *should* win. But it's not just Pittsburgh media that's mentioned it. Pretty much every "away" broadcast I've watched has touched upon how Crosby probably should be getting at least some sort of mention in Selke discussions.

To be honest I was quick to dismiss it before looking at the numbers. He's improved his defense in the last few years, and I think some people went overboard with it, but his numbers hold up well this year compared to some of the best defensively. He's having a really great season. Seems to be underrated this year simply because he's not a top 10 scorer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad