GDT: #17 – Lightning at Sabres – Thu Nov 17, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
When I plummet past your nonsense, let me know.

"Bylsma should expect Carrier to butcher a routine breakout and allow the Lightning to score on a shot from above the dots."

It's been a long time since you sniffed the clean air

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
When I plummet past your nonsense, let me know.

"Bylsma should expect Carrier to butcher a routine breakout and allow the Lightning to score on a shot from above the dots."

Bylsma should expect that putting that line out there in that situation increases the chances of an adverse event happening. Exactly how it would happen isn't the point, just that there was an increased chance of it happening.

The reason it's a bad decision is not because the execution was bad (which it was). Even if the execution of that breakout was good, it would still have been a bad decision. Hell, if the good execution ended up with a Buffalo goal, it would still have been a bad decision. The result of the play has nothing to do with whether the decision to put that line on the ice was good or bad.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Bylsma should expect that putting that line out there in that situation increases the chances of an adverse event happening. Exactly how it would happen isn't the point, just that there was an increased chance of it happening.

The reason it's a bad decision is not because the execution was bad (which it was). Even if the execution of that breakout was good, it would still have been a bad decision. Hell, if the good execution ended up with a Buffalo goal, it would still have been a bad decision. The result of the play has nothing to do with whether the decision to put that line on the ice was good or bad.

Yep. That's the long and short of it.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Through two periods of their respective games:

Scoring Chances For
Buffalo - 13
Toronto - 9

High-Danger Scoring Chances For
Buffalo - 8
Toronto - 6

ES Goals For
Buffalo - 0
Toronto - 5

I mean, what else needs to be said

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Through two periods of their respective games:

Scoring Chances For
Buffalo - 13
Toronto - 9

High-Danger Scoring Chances For
Buffalo - 8
Toronto - 6

ES Goals For
Buffalo - 0
Toronto - 5

I mean, what else needs to be said

Buffalo does not have 8 high danger scoring chances

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Your post assumes 4th line players never play against top opponents during the course of a 60-minute game. Even when you control line changes, it happens. For instance, Ryan Reaves played 1-2 minutes vs BUF's 1st line the other night.

The execution and result were ******. The execution was 95% of why the goal was scored.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
McCabe got an unsportsmanlike penalty in the Boston game for slamming his stick, but Callahan is allowed to mouth off to the refs like that?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
He has 5-6 beautiful passes, and then will turn the pick over. He needs to get stronger on the puck. Hopefully it comes with time. His high IQ is evident every night, tho.

If he scores on the open net he had earlier, the entire narrative around him changes.

Your post assumes 4th line players never play against top opponents during the course of a 60-minute game. Even when you control line changes, it happens. For instance, Ryan Reaves played 1-2 minutes vs BUF's 1st line the other night.

The execution and result were ******. The execution was 95% of why the goal was scored.

It happens, but when you have last change, and you have options of who to put out, and the period is almost ending in a game that you're trailing 2-1, you should try to avoid that mismatch happening. That's not the time to take that risk.

Just because it happens from time to time doesn't mean you should intentionally make it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad