Proposal: 16th overall for a goalie to CGY

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
The only reason Fleury is seen as a better goalie is because he is playing behind an elite team. You swap Smith or Elliott and Fleury for their careers and people would be saying the same about Smith or Elliott.

Uh that Pittsburgh D is hardly elite. I think Fleury proved himself again these playoffs that he can bail his team out when they need it. He would/should be playing if Murray wasn't the other goalie. I would easily pick Fleury over Elliott.

Elliott has never been THE #1 guy his whole career. He has thrived when he splits the crease with another capable goalie getting more than 30 starts a year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hard pass from Pittsburgh - we blow all our 1st round picks but do magic with our 3rds!

More seriously... it'd interest me except for the fact it appears 95% certain that MAF's new home next season has been decided already.

edit: p.s. Fleury for the 2018 2nd round pick alone doesn't interest.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Pittsburgh D is not elite at all, they're hardly above average with Letang, below average without him.

Offensively probably the most talented D group, defensively horrible though. Fleury plays good because that's what he is, a good goalie lol.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Uh that Pittsburgh D is hardly elite. I think Fleury proved himself again these playoffs that he can bail his team out when they need it. He would/should be playing if Murray wasn't the other goalie. I would easily pick Fleury over Elliott.

Elliott has never been THE #1 guy his whole career. He has thrived when he splits the crease with another capable goalie getting more than 30 starts a year.
I never said elite defense, I said elite team. The Penguins best defense is their offensive ability and ability to play in their opponents end.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pittsburgh D is not elite at all, they're hardly above average with Letang, below average without him.

Offensively probably the most talented D group, defensively horrible though. Fleury plays good because that's what he is, a good goalie lol.
Fleury played good for what 2-3 weeks? He was underwhelming all year.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lehner straight up for #16. Not adding anything else. The Flames aren't finding a better goalie around Lehners age for cheaper then that.

And that's exactly why Lehner will stay in Buffalo. Too much baggage and has yet to prove he can handle a full workload and succeed. Guys like Raanta, Grubauer and those types could potentially come cheaper. If the 16OA is the price, every Flames fan will take Grubauer in a heartbeat over Lehner.

Smith is too old. Elliott falters during the playoffs.

You do realize he posted a .930 for the Blues prior to this season right? If that's a falter I hate to see what it takes to be good in the playoffs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How do you quantify this exactly?

Some people think that if you aren't playing in the NHL that you just sit around all day caring for your body.

I remember when Carl Soderberg was becoming a UFA everyone argued that his age wasn't a factor because he had only a couple of years of NHL experience on his body. I'm still confused by that argument.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How do you quantify this exactly?
Generally games played over their careers at all levels. Fleury has played a couple hundred more. Smith taking longer to become a starter could actually benefit him, like it did for someone like Tim Thomas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad