Proposal: 16th overall for a goalie to CGY

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Meh

But is he really better than Elliott though? If we're going by last year only, I guess Smith is better than Elliott.

But up until this past season, Elliott has been better than Smith for the most part. Even in that fluke year that Smith had in 11-12, Elliott broke a save percentage record for goalies that played more than 25 or 30 games or whatever it was. Now since he played significantly fewer games, I wouldn't take it as seriously as what Mike Smith did that year, but Elliott has been considerably better than Smith for the majority of the past 5 years. Even that last terrible year Elliott had on Ottawa/Colorado, Smith was awful as the TB backup and even found himself demoted to the AHL that year, if I recall correctly.

I think Calgary might have kept Elliott, if not for what happened in the playoffs. He had a poor season, but seemed to be turning it around at the end over the last few months there. Then he imploded badly by game 2 of the playoffs.

Nah Elliott had a hot streak for 10-15 games, but as a whole was poor. Not only in stopping the puck but also freezing, tracking, and moving the puck. Rebound control was poor as well (Freezing counts as rebound control, but rebound control isn't only freezing the puck, it's also if you give up a rebound, where do you give it up).

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Lehner + Buffalo's 2nd rounder

Lehner is worth a lot more then just moving up 21 spots in a weak draft. Lehner is easily worth #16. Buffalo traded #21 in an elite draft for him, #21 in 2015 is equivalent to almost a top 10 pick this year.

Lehner has proven he can be a #1. Calgary isn't getting a better goalie then Lehner for a mid first in this garbage draft.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Nah Elliott had a hot streak for 10-15 games, but as a whole was poor. Not only in stopping the puck but also freezing, tracking, and moving the puck. Rebound control was poor as well (Freezing counts as rebound control, but rebound control isn't only freezing the puck, it's also if you give up a rebound, where do you give it up).

yeah he was good for about 20 games...after that horrible playoff, i dont know how anybody can trust him

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Lehner is worth a lot more then just moving up 21 spots in a weak draft. Lehner is easily worth #16. Buffalo traded #21 in an elite draft for him, #21 in 2015 is equivalent to almost a top 10 pick this year.

Lehner has proven he can be a #1. Calgary isn't getting a better goalie then Lehner for a mid first in this garbage draft.

I'd personally fly over the Atlantic, hire a car and drive Lehner to Calgary for 16 OA. You can't use the overpayment Murray did as a justification for his current value. There are a lot of available 1A/1B type goalies and even some veteran 1Gs that can be had for cheap-ish. 16OA for Lehner straight up is fair value. Now if Calgary and Buffalo's new management team like him is a different topic.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Halak +15OA for 16OA?

The 16th overall pick is likely going to be Trelivings best trade chip to bring in a goalie, especially with the expansion draft looming. Its not too early of a pick that it really hurts, and its not too late that it still has good value. Who comes back in a trade for the 16 OA ?

/QUOTE]

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

If he is any good, Buffalo wouldnt deal him.

If they are willing to deal him then he is simply not good enough for that kind of return

Probably do not make much sense but goalie market is simply not there for goalie with question marks. Lehner has plenty.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The 16th overall pick is likely going to be Trelivings best trade chip to bring in a goalie, especially with the expansion draft looming. Its not too early of a pick that it really hurts, and its not too late that it still has good value. Who comes back in a trade for the 16 OA ?

Bonus question; Does Elliot re-sign as a back-up?

In a similar thread about what could the Jets get for 13 OA it was mainly suggested that they needed to add Trouba, Lowry, Perreault or Kyle Connor to 16 OA to get a mediocre goalie.

So expect some pretty low ball offers.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Any Flames fans mind giving us a rundown on current goaltender depth in the organization? A list of current goalies, where they are now in their careers, and where you expect them to end up? Is anyone being groomed to start?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Any Flames fans mind giving us a rundown on current goaltender depth in the organization? A list of current goalies, where they are now in their careers, and where you expect them to end up? Is anyone being groomed to start?

Rittich- olderish. strong AHL #s in his first season in NA. Could backup a proven starter next year probably. Doubt he's groomed for a starting gig though. You never know with goalies though.

Jon Gillies- 6'6". Started for USA at the WJC, won NCAA title with Providence. Was considered a top 5 goalie prospect a couple years ago. He missed basically all of his first pro season with major hip surgery. Had a decent year coming back. Could still be a starter but he needs to have a better year next year in the AHL.

Tyler Parsons- he's highly touted right now. Won a mem cup with London last year. Won a WJC with the USA. Craig Button ranked him as the 12th best affiliated prospect in the NHL (forwards and D included).
He could be the next big talent to come out of the Flames system but it's so early.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We have:

Jon Gillies, Tyler Parsons, David Rittich, Mason McDonald and Nick Schneider. I'd say all but Schneider have starter potential. Gillies and Parsons are both as close to blue chip as possible for goaltenders and won't be made available in a trade unless a younger goalie with high potential is coming back. Gillies is close to NHL ready, Parsons is just turning pro. Rittich is close to NHL ready. McDonald is more of a long term prospect but the Flames felt he would be better than another great prospect in Demko. Schneider is likely to be in the WHL as a 20 year old.

In short, the only goalies we would be willing to trade to Arizona in a deal for Smith are Rittich, McDonald or Schneider.

rt

May 13, 2004
Rittich- olderish. strong AHL #s in his first season in NA. Could backup a proven starter next year probably. Doubt he's groomed for a starting gig though. You never know with goalies though.

Jon Gillies- 6'6". Started for USA at the WJC, won NCAA title with Providence. Was considered a top 5 goalie prospect a couple years ago. He missed basically all of his first pro season with major hip surgery. Had a decent year coming back. Could still be a starter but he needs to have a better year next year in the AHL.

Tyler Parsons- he's highly touted right now. Won a mem cup with London last year. Won a WJC with the USA. Craig Button ranked him as the 12th best affiliated prospect in the NHL (forwards and D included).
He could be the next big talent to come out of the Flames system but it's so early.

We have:

Jon Gillies, Tyler Parsons, David Rittich, Mason McDonald and Nick Schneider. I'd say all but Schneider have starter potential. Gillies and Parsons are both as close to blue chip as possible for goaltenders and won't be made available in a trade unless a younger goalie with high potential is coming back. Gillies is close to NHL ready, Parsons is just turning pro. Rittich is close to NHL ready. McDonald is more of a long term prospect but the Flames felt he would be better than another great prospect in Demko. Schneider is likely to be in the WHL as a 20 year old.

In short, the only goalies we would be willing to trade to Arizona in a deal for Smith are Rittich, McDonald or Schneider.

Nice. So between Gillies and Parsons, you may have your goalie of the future and a stop-gap might be appealing. Mike Smith seems right up Brian Burke's alley, and of course there are the Treliving and Maloney connections. I can't imagine the Coyotes would be expecting a huge return, but he was team MVP last season and is capable of getting very hot, like unbeatable hot for stretches. He's also hot flaws, of course. Primarily his temper and temper tantrums. How much of a problem is the 5.667 cap hit over the next two seasons if the asking price (in terms of assets) is very low? Can Calgary stomach a cap hit like that?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nice. So between Gillies and Parsons, you may have your goalie of the future and a stop-gap might be appealing. Mike Smith seems right up Brian Burke's alley, and of course there are the Treliving and Maloney connections. I can't imagine the Coyotes would be expecting a huge return, but he was team MVP last season and is capable of getting very hot, like unbeatable hot for stretches. He's also hot flaws, of course. Primarily his temper and temper tantrums. How much of a problem is the 5.667 cap hit over the next two seasons if the asking price (in terms of assets) is very low? Can Calgary stomach a cap hit like that?
The Flames would need to send some salary back if none is eaten, but I think that is the case for any deal in today's NHL.

I've suggested McDonald & Bouma for Smith a couple times in the past. With Bouma being on an expiring contract the 'Yotes could probably flip him at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th.

rt

May 13, 2004
Bouma we'd have to bury in the minors. If he's just a straight dump to make dollars work that's fine. If you think he has value, though, we'd love to take a notch below whatever that perceived value is because we certainly don't want him.

As for McDonald, he's also pretty uninteresting from my perspective. If you are offering him because you think we'd appreciate a goalie, given we are trading one, that's not necessary, even if well intentioned. If you're offering him because he'll become buried and is a wasted asset, than that's fine. We'll take him for the AHL, I guess. But again, if he's included for actual value, I'd rather have whatever is equal value that's not him.

Anyway, it sounds like you'd be willing to accept Smith if you A) give up extremely little in return and B) dump at least a couple of million in cap space to even things out. I think that's a relatively fair position, if I'm being honest. Good to gauge value. He's worth just a hair under 0 in your estimation. I feel about the same. Just don't tell anyone. ;)

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
The Flames would need to send some salary back if none is eaten, but I think that is the case for any deal in today's NHL.

I've suggested McDonald & Bouma for Smith a couple times in the past. With Bouma being on an expiring contract the 'Yotes could probably flip him at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th.

McDonald is needed for the future, and Smith won't last long in the NHL. Why not Fleury?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bouma we'd have to bury in the minors. If he's just a straight dump to make dollars work that's fine. If you think he has value, though, we'd love to take a notch below whatever that perceived value is because we certainly don't want him.

As for McDonald, he's also pretty uninteresting from my perspective. If you are offering him because you think we'd appreciate a goalie, given we are trading one, that's not necessary, even if well intentioned. If you're offering him because he'll become buried and is a wasted asset, than that's fine. We'll take him for the AHL, I guess. But again, if he's included for actual value, I'd rather have whatever is equal value that's not him.

Anyway, it sounds like you'd be willing to accept Smith if you A) give up extremely little in return and B) dump at least a couple of million in cap space to even things out. I think that's a relatively fair position.
Bouma wouldn't be someone you dump in the AHL, he's a solid 4th liner and good penalty killer. McDonald has value and would be an AHLer anyways, he's just entering his 2nd pro season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
McDonald is needed for the future, and Smith won't last long in the NHL. Why not Fleury?

I don't like Fleury. I feel like he is mentally fragile and from all accounts the Flames are on his no trade list anyways. Not to mention the fact that Penguin fans are asking far too much for a pretty average starting goaltender.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Mason McDonald had a pretty substandard year in the ECHL. Let that sink in.
Now he's a goalie, and things can change; he's a big athletic kid with some upside... but the way he's projecting isn't towards becoming an NHL'er, let alone a starter.

Smith is a dumb move. Flames would be stupid to entertain it to be honest. He's not real upgrade on Elliott; who is familiar with the team.

Fleury, Raanta, Grubauer and Mrazek should be the 4 targets for Calgary. Anything else is a lateral move.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Flames should go after any goalie who had a decent GSAA this season:
Dell (small sample, 900 min)
Grubauer (small sample, 900 min)
Nilsson (1200 minutes)
Raanta (1200 minutes)
Reimer (1800 min)
Saros (small sample, 850 min)

Mrazek IMO would be no better than Brian Elliot was (unless he turns it around), but if y'all want him then whatever. Both him and Elliot were basically the same GSAA/60 min

rt

May 13, 2004
Bouma wouldn't be someone you dump in the AHL, he's a solid 4th liner and good penalty killer. McDonald has value and would be an AHLer anyways, he's just entering his 2nd pro season.

LWs:
Domi
Keller
Perlini
Rieder
Martinook
Crouse
Bouma

No desire to acquire this player. If it's necessary for salary reasons, that's fine. But he'd 100% be buried in Tucson.

Anyway, my point was if you think each is worth a 3rd, I'd rather have a pair of 4ths.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad