Prospect Info: #166 Overall, LW Josh Filmon, Swift Current WHL

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
There's just no room for him on the roster unless we're hit with injuries or he beats out Holtz, neither of which would be a good sign.

I'm rooting for the kid, but right now I'd consider 11 of the 14 forwards spots already locked.

That leaves the following guys to battle it out for the final 3 spots:
- Lazar (would be surprised to see him waived)
- Foote (would have to clear waivers - highly doubt he's waived)
- Tierney (likely winds up in Utica, but could be kept if injuries happen)
- Holtz (have to hope he cracks the roster by now)
- Clarke (came close last camp)
- Thompson (would have to clear waivers)
- Filmon
- Halonen

I just don't see a scenerio where Filmon sticks. He's still just 19 years old, was a 6th round pick a year ago and just had a breakout season. I know that happened with Bratt, but there was more opportunity to crack the lineup on that 2017 team.

I’m only getting 10 locks, going down the list at Capfriendly, and excluding the guys you listed as non-locks

Meier
Hughes
Bratt
Hischier
Palat
Toffoli
Haula
McLeod
Bastian
Mercer

Of those guys you listed I think only Foote will get a red carpet because waivers and Fitz likes him. I think it’s a long shot, but I think it’s a real possibility.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I’m only getting 10 locks, going down the list at Capfriendly, and excluding the guys you listed as non-locks

Meier
Hughes
Bratt
Hischier
Palat
Toffoli
Haula
McLeod
Bastian
Mercer

Of those guys you listed I think only Foote will get a red carpet because waivers and Fitz likes him. I think it’s a long shot, but I think it’s a real possibility.
You're missing Nosek.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
For some reason I thought he was AHL eligible this year. Hopefully he lights up the WHL and can possibly play for Canada in the World Juniors this year.

He was always going to be a project pick but he has done pretty well since we drafted him. Still has a potentially bright future. Can be a big piece for us on his ELC in the next few years.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
For some reason I thought he was AHL eligible this year. Hopefully he lights up the WHL and can possibly play for Canada in the World Juniors this year.

He was always going to be a project pick but he has done pretty well since we drafted him. Still has a potentially bright future. Can be a big piece for us on his ELC in the next few years.
he did the PTO thing with Utica last year, or however that works. So he's actually played 4 AHL games already. Still not eligible though.

For some reason, Filmon feels like he's been around awhile. But he won't even turn 20 until next March. He still has plenty of time to develop before he even thinks about an NHL future.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Re-drafting the NHL class of 2022: Juraj Slafkovsky still goes No. 1, David Jiricek rises

Since we are arguing over this in the Nemec thread, enjoy Filmon jumping up to 24. 1 ahead of Hutson and 23 before Casey. :sarcasm:

“It’s not just the scoring, it’s the way he plays in a manner that could translate to the NHL that gets me excited about his potential. He’s a good-sized winger who skates well and gives a solid enough all-around effort to go with his skill and goal-scoring ability.”

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Re-drafting the NHL class of 2022: Juraj Slafkovsky still goes No. 1, David Jiricek rises

Since we are arguing over this in the Nemec thread, enjoy Filmon jumping up to 24. 1 ahead of Hutson and 23 before Casey. :sarcasm:

“It’s not just the scoring, it’s the way he plays in a manner that could translate to the NHL that gets me excited about his potential. He’s a good-sized winger who skates well and gives a solid enough all-around effort to go with his skill and goal-scoring ability.”
Hameenaho is the only player that could possibly be ahead of Hutson in a redraft. Different year but that's irrelevant.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I already said that Pronman isnt good and he doesnt like his mistakes. Even if he works on his issues. He already f4cked up with calling Jack as not elite player. And devils fans gave him a lot of attention for that. Now he is putting Nemec very low, even he is better skater than Jiricek, better defenseman and very productive in AHL, especially 5vs5.

And he is ranking Filmon ahead of Casey. It is just stupid. I know Devils fans love Filmon, I admit he has NHL potential. But he is very raw. He isnt ready for NHL role. He should work on his issues and gain muscles in the same time make his game better. Casey should adapt his game for NHL. One player should work(and the ceiling isnt very high, Filmon isnt driver or good two way forechecker), other player should adapt his game(and ceiling is high, Casey is electric, good in defensive zone and pretty annoying for opponents). Casey is absolutely better prospect than Filmon with clearer path to NHL. And he is much better than most on the list before him.

Nemec is better than Wright and he was even better than Slaf in preseason. Cooley? May be. Jiricek? On the same level or even better, because Nemec is better defensively.

And of course Pronman ranked Slaf as number 1 year ago. I did it too, i still like him very much. But if we are talking about redraft, Slafkovsky wouldnt be number 1. But Pronman cant admit his own mistakes.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Pronman I really like for pre-draft work. I think he has biases, as we all do, but he broadly provides a different perspective than many analysts, and isn't afraid to take an outlier position if he feels it's warranted.

I don't think his heart is in reassessing players post-draft for the most part. I think that's just something he has to do for the Athletic as their "prospect guy," and it shows.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Pronman I really like for pre-draft work. I think he has biases, as we all do, but he broadly provides a different perspective than many analysts, and isn't afraid to take an outlier position if he feels it's warranted.

I don't think his heart is in reassessing players post-draft for the most part. I think that's just something he has to do for the Athletic as their "prospect guy," and it shows.
Like Zacha has to provide some physical play as a bigger player.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

yeah all these re-drafts are definitely a “i need to write more articles and justify my position here” thing for Pronman, or at least that’s the vibe i get.

Wheeler, otoh, is very gung ho about looking back and reassessing his rankings and his opinions, but i find him much more annoying than Pronman in general.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Pronman is better than Wheeler and better than most of public writers. And He works on his issues. He was very "driving-skating" guy some years ago. And his predaft word is very helpful. In general, I wrote about him many times within the spectrum. But I reread my message and realize that it sounds like something bad. And judging by my experience, every time you need to express yourself very specifically and not build narratives through several messages.
Pronman isnt that bad, he is better than most, he is just doesnt like his mistakes.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He won 15 of his 26 draws too which is roughly 57.6% efficiency in the dot. Also had 4 PIM (delay of game & tripping) and was a +2.
26 faceoffs? Jumped right to front of the line in that dept.

Also looks like a large discrepancy in goal for Swift Current.

Rocha has 7 GP's, a 2-4-1 record, an .874 save%, and 4.07 GAA.

Dyck has 3 gp's, 2-1 record, .922 save%, and a 3.04 gaa.

Dyck is 19, Rocha only 18. Last year Dyck played 40 games with an .887 and a 3.62, while Rocha only played 18 with a 9.06 and a 2.85.

Not sure the dynamic there, were they trying to transition to Rocha, is Dyck banged up, is this merely some small sample #'s distortion?

Think if Swift get's decent goal tending they should be good.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Kind of expected him to show a bit better here but I imagine the lack of assists keeping down his total pts last year is dragging down his NHLe

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
He's gone a bit cold the last 5 games. Not many goals but some assists. A good amount of secondary assists. They gotta get him back on the wing. The experience at center though could be big in the long run though.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He's gone a bit cold the last 5 games. Not many goals but some assists. A good amount of secondary assists. They gotta get him back on the wing. The experience at center though could be big in the long run though.
Didn't factor in the move to center on his drop in production. Good call.

And I do agree playing center should be beneficial even if he's not producing in the meantime.

Last edited:

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I follow the WHL pretty closely, and one guy that has stood out a couple times for me over the last year and a bit is Josh Filmon. Keep on eye on this player. He's just growing into his lanky body and I could see a middle-six future for him if everything breaks right. Smart player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad