GDT: #16 | FLYERS (H) vs. Rangers (A) | Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
True but some those were healthy scratches and the time per game is still heavily in Provorov's favor. The fact that he's cemented onto the PP blows my mind. Especially when some freak out when people say that he gets gifted usage.

Regardless, my point was more "this is a nice example of why the PP has been so frustrating to watch" instead of being a strength, like it used to be.

The Hayes-led "PP1" is just a dog whistle for the opposition's top PKers, right?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
At this point, is winning even a good thing?

All that'll do is convince these egotistical idiots that what they're doing is acceptable and prevent change. If we keep playing the way we are and we squeak into the playoffs, we have no chance at actually accomplishing anything once there. And that should be our goal, not getting unsustainable regular season wins where we deserve to lose.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015

All that'll do is convince these egotistical idiots that what they're doing is acceptable and prevent change. If we keep playing the way we are and we squeak into the playoffs, we have no chance at actually accomplishing anything once there. And that should be our goal, not getting unsustainable regular season wins where we deserve to lose.
I’m a fan and I’m not gonna change any minds in the organization regardless, so I’m gonna root for wins. Maybe that’s just me though.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m a fan and I’m not gonna change any minds in the organization regardless, so I’m gonna root for wins. Maybe that’s just me though.
I'm not saying you shouldn't root for wins or that if you don't it'll change anything.

I'm saying winning games right now may actually get us further from a cup instead of closer.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I'm not saying you shouldn't root for wins or that if you don't it'll change anything.

I'm saying winning games right now may actually get us further from a cup instead of closer.
We’re not playing a winning brand of hockey. I certainly agree with that. I’m still not sure how to analytically understand our current record.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
The last kid didn't slow him down

Don't see why this one would

f*** it. Have 80 kids and give us a chance to draft one in a couple decades.
I saw the excuse on here numerous times for him and other new parents that "He's not playing well because he has a newborn at home.". I don't want to take any chances.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
We’re not playing a winning brand of hockey. I certainly agree with that. I’m still not sure how to analytically understand our current record.

Team corsi has a weak statistical correlation with points in the standings.

I would suspect that special teams performance has a stronger correlation, as would xGF, but I haven't seen studies on that.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I saw the excuse on here numerous times for him and other new parents that "He's not playing well because he has a newborn at home.". I don't want to take any chances.
Family > Hockey. Girouxs legacy and career won’t be usurped by having a kid if he does slow down. If so, oh well. Not gonna complain about G and his wife starting a family.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You mean re-signing Laughton.

;)

Laughton is not getting re-signed lol

They'd have to wait until after Expansion and at that point he will be getting stupid UFA offers that Fletcher isn't going to touch with Couturier's extension looming.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

They've been very efficient once they are in the offensive zone with possesion. They just aren't in there enough hence the terrible analytics.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Some very skilled players and lots of luck

At all strengths...

Scoring Chance shooting %: 25.41% (highest in the league)
Average over the previous three years: 15.35%

High Danger Scoring Chance shooting %: 34.62% (highest in the league)
Average over the previous three years: 18.99%

Team shooting %: 14.61% (highest in the league)
Average over the previous three years: 9.71%

PDO: 104.8 (highest in the league)
Average over the previous three years: 99.7%

Expected goals: 35
Actual goals: 51

In short, we're getting out-chanced, out-possessed, and generally dominated... but we're converting on the few chances we do get with unsustainably high frequency.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I know. It was especially funny because even suggesting that he wasn't playing well was false.

He was playing well but just not getting rewarded for it due to things outside of his control. It sucks, but that's just how it works sometimes.

Reactions: Amorgus

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018

Basically you have been saying this for years: Hope for losses just to prove management and / or coaches are idiots.
While I do agree that a couple of things need to be fixed and criticism is justified I will always hope for the Flyers to be successful.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Team corsi has a weak statistical correlation with points in the standings.

I would suspect that special teams performance has a stronger correlation, as would xGF, but I haven't seen studies on that.
Yeah, it’s that they’ve been bad by both the eye test and analytical tests, other than luck and shooting percentage. They’ve also been horrific on the PK. It’s confusing, but I’ll take the good win-loss record.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Basically you have been saying this for years: Hope for losses just to prove management and / or coaches are idiots.
While I do agree that a couple of things need to be fixed and criticism is justified I will always hope for the Flyers to be successful.
I didn't say I was hoping for losses and I don't need to prove that management and the coaches are idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad