Post-Game Talk: #16 Blues @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
34 shots against, 31 saves, and .912 SV% not bad for 3 goals against!

The thing most people don't understand, and no metric can measure, is the quality of saves he made on many, many tough shots that are sure goals without him in net.

This is what is taken from his game tonight. An unreal performance during many sequences.

Yeah because half of our defense corps is not capable of playing on a contender.

Girardi must have gotten us pinned like 8 different times last night. One led to a near-goal...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not really sure why girardi tried to play the man instead of hurting tarasenkos shot.... That was just a stupid play by him.

No more mcdonagh and girardi please

Lundqvist's long bomb was fumbled by Stalberg and here's Tarasenko--a world class bull of a player with the puck in a completely empty neutral zone coming back on the attack at full speed with loads of space. Girardi IMO did what he could--got in his way and didn't let him get between himself and the goal. I'm not sure what you'd expect from any other D. Klein might have been able to do about the same as Girardi. Boyle--absolutely not. The optimal player for us would have been McDonagh. I have serious doubts that Yandle or Staal would have been able to do more than Girardi did there either.

So IMO your gripe on this play is just crap.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This was a great win.

St. Louis is an elite hockey team, which they showed in half of this game. The 3rd period was outstanding defensively for the Rangers, and our PP continues to improve. McDonagh looks elite again.

AND ZUCC! This is the best I've ever seen him play. So great to see. great

Mcdonagh did great shutting off tarasenko in the 3rd period which I was quite happy about. That whole line was neutralized.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I know that, I just wish we could have some more sustained pressure in the offensive zone. Lindberg and Fast were great at that today. The Stepan-line was struggling. All in all a good game from lines 1, 3 and 4 though. It's difficult to have sustained offensive pressure when you have a multi-goal lead.

I think they've been doing a better job at it this year...maybe not amazing at it but they seem to be doing a better job getting the puck to the net and creating some chances off the cycle.

It's getting better every game. His shot isn't usually something to write home about, but they've been running this option where they move the puck north-south on one side of the ice, then send it east-west, then tap-pass to McDonagh who blasts it home.

It's pretty effective.

They also set McDonagh up to be able to step into the shot in the middle of the ice, instead of being flat footed for the one timer. I think that helps him a lot. You can see him kind of circle out a little bit and be able to drift to towards the circles and step into the shot.

I think AV is trying to get girardis confidence up, so he moves girardi up with McDonagh... It also seems like he's force feeding minutes to Staal, which I don't think he's capable of taking anymore...

He then runs any combination of staal, Klein, Boyle, and Yandle together.... The problem is the only pairing worth anything at that point is Yandle-Klein....

He needs to leave it like this:

Mcdonagh-Klein
Yandle-Girardi
Staal-Boyle

And if he's not happy with boyle then we need to pull up diaz and rotate a combo of Diaz, McIlrath, and Boyle.

Yeah I think it's clear AV isn't totally happy with his D and pairings but I'm not sure what his end goal is going to be

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Not really sure why girardi tried to play the man instead of hurting tarasenkos shot.... That was just a stupid play by him.

No more mcdonagh and girardi please

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say 'play the puck not the man.' But I have heard the opposite countless times.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Yup.

“@NYP_Brooksie: The folly of single-game Corsi: By that measure, Zuccarello was Rangers' worst player last night v. Blues.â€

No actually that's the folly of someone too intellectually lazy to form a complete opinion.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Great play by Nash at the very end, throwing handbags with Shattenkirk to take the pressure off and kill the game.

Speaking of Shatty the brother is going to need to drop a bunch of pounds if he ever wants to play for the Rangers.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Yup.

“@NYP_Brooksie: The folly of single-game Corsi: By that measure, Zuccarello was Rangers' worst player last night v. Blues.â€

I guess if you only use one stat in one specific instance, you can "prove" anything. Of course what you end up "proving" is complete ********* and everyone who knows anything about the purpose of that stat laughs at you, but hey, at least Brooksie can feel morally superior to people who look at advanced stats in hockey. So he has that going for him.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Great play by Nash at the very end, throwing handbags with Shattenkirk to take the pressure off and kill the game.

Speaking of Shatty the brother is going to need to drop a bunch of pounds if he ever wants to play for the Rangers.

Hah would be nice!

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say 'play the puck not the man.' But I have heard the opposite countless times.

no, I agree, you play the man... that's the right move as a dman...

The thing is, Tarasenko is not your standard player. If Tarasenko is coming at you, you do ANYTHING possible to cut off his shot, even if it's just a little bit. you saw how awesome that snipe was. Girardi was trying to play Tarasenko's body positioning--against Tarasenko, that's the wrong move. Girardi would know this if he was an actual top pairing defender, but he's not.

Don't get me wrong, I am not putting the blame for the goal on Girardi... it's actually mostly on Stalberg for choking it up at the opposing blue line.

GraveyTrain9

Mar 13, 2008
New York
Lundqvist was awesome last night. Yes he gave up three goals but that could have easily been 7 wihout some of the ridiculous saves he made.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Watching the Tarasenko goal from last night, it boggles my mind that some members here thought Lundqvist was to blame on this one.

Hank tries to catch the blues on a change, and quickly plays the puck directly to Stalberg who should easily be able to handle it, and turns it over in the neutral zone. The rest is history.

What a sick shot though. Tarasenko is an animal. No wonder Hank compared him to Ovi in terms of shot velocity and placement in the postgame.

BarbaraAlphanse

Boyle still in with starters as per line combos today. How he still is starting is beyond me. Totally beyond me.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Watching the Tarasenko goal from last night, it boggles my mind that some members here thought Lundqvist was to blame on this one.

Hank tries to catch the blues on a change, and quickly plays the puck directly to Stalberg who should easily be able to handle it, and turns it over in the neutral zone. The rest is history.

What a sick shot though. Tarasenko is an animal. No wonder Hank compared him to Ovi in terms of shot velocity and placement in the postgame.

Stalberg should have handled it but the second he did he would been in traffic, you can see the Blues players a step away from him. He might have lost the puck anyway.

Not putting any blame on Hank, but in the 80's that would have been called a "hospital pass".

BarbaraAlphanse

Cuz he ain't actually so bad. :clittle:

He was a turnstile on defense. I counted 2 posts and 4 other prime chances, at least, while he was a defender.

And he's not providing offense. Isn't that what he was brought in for.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Boyle has not been nearly as bad as people are making him out to be. I personally would prefer to see a little more of McIlrath, but it's not like Boyle is killing us.

I also don't understand why people are looking for someone to blame on that Tarasenko goal. Sometimes the shooter makes a hell of play, and this was one of them. Tarasenko is a top 5 winger in the game at the moment. He's so much fun to watch.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
It sounds weird, but our offense was not great today. Yes, we scored 6 goals but they were not as dominant as I expected them to be...

Why would you expect them to be a dominant offensive team against one of the leagues better defensive teams?

If anything we should look like we did last night, mediocre

Good in the 1st, decent in the 3rd but the Blues, as any good team will do, put the pressure on in the 2nd.

More often than not, against other good teams, both teams end up looking less than they truly are.

The age old adage is beat the teams below you, play .500 with the teams that you are on the same level with and if you do that, you will have a great season.

Rangers are doing that in spades.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad