Post-Game Talk: #16 Blues @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
Look at where the Rangers take their shots from though. Most of them are from high percentage areas of the ice. They could take more shots and look better for the "fancy stats" people, but they spend most of their possession time in the offensive zone looking for these high percentage chances.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Look at where the Rangers take their shots from though. Most of them are from high percentage areas of the ice. They could take more shots and look better for the "fancy stats" people, but they spend most of their possession time in the offensive zone looking for these high percentage chances.

That's fine and I don't except this team to ever have a phenomenal corsi.

We still give up way too many chances. I can see that just from watching the game.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
War on ice has a "high danger" corsi option. The rangers dominate corsi in these areas in close and tied situations. That somewhat explains their high shooting percentage. They take few shots, but when they do, it is from these areas and they cover on them. Just look at the first 3 goals tonight. 3 goals on 5 shots. May look "unsustainable" to people who just look at the stats, but all 3 of those goals came right in the crease.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
That's fine and I don't except this team to ever have a phenomenal corsi.

We still give up way too many chances. I can see that just from watching the game.
Oh yeah, definately. Not arguing that. Watching that time between going up 3-0 and 3-2 was brutal. They smoothed it out from there though. The 3rd period was very good. I just think the lead by multiple goals so often, it skews all of thier "advanced" stats. I just don't think it's as bad as it looks is all. But I hope they switch up this style in the playoffs though, when you see more fluke goals. The more shots the better in the playoffs, as teams won't let you get to the high percentage areas often.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lot of quick strike sort of goals.

I know that, I just wish we could have some more sustained pressure in the offensive zone. Lindberg and Fast were great at that today. The Stepan-line was struggling. All in all a good game from lines 1, 3 and 4 though. It's difficult to have sustained offensive pressure when you have a multi-goal lead.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
It sounds weird, but our offense was not great today. Yes, we scored 6 goals but they were not as dominant as I expected them to be...

What did you expect? You know hockey doesn't have 3 point shots, right? The team is third in goals in the league.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What did you expect? You know hockey doesn't have 3 point shots, right? The team is third in goals in the league.

I am extremely happy with the goals, but I hate that we did not get out of our own zone in the 2nd period. We need our forwards for that. We were a lot better at that in the 3rd.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I am extremely happy with the goals, but I hate that we did not get out of our own zone in the 2nd period. We need our forwards for that. We were a lot better at that in the 3rd.

When the other team is down 2-3 goals, they will press which makes it look like they are dominant, but they are also taking high risks. The other team isn't just going to lie down and enjoy the abuse. They will want to fight back. The Blues are a good team, you can't expect to abuse them for 60 minutes straight. You aren't watch Canada vs. Belarus here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
When the other team is down 2-3 goals, they will press which makes it look like they are dominant, but they are also taking high risks. The other team isn't just going to lie down and enjoy the abuse. They will want to fight back. The Blues are a good team, you can't expect to abuse them for 60 minutes straight. You aren't watch Canada vs. Belarus here.

Yes, I fully understand and I posted that in the GDT. I am happy we kept them to 3 goals and won the game. They were firing on all cylinders the way they were skating.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
There was a time when I thought "man if zuccarello is our top forward that's not saying much" now without a doubt I think the guy can be a top first line player on pretty much any nhl team. What a story and so happy he is a true blueshirt! Thank you Norway.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
More Hank gushing:

Shooting % by areas

Henrik Lundqvist

[collapse=1]
8itlacm.png
[/collapse]

Carey Price
[collapse=2]
0SGxBhy.png
[/collapse]

Sergei Bobrovsky
[collapse=3]
Sz3rmcE.png
[/collapse]

Poor Bob... They're lighting him up like a Christmas Tree...just in time to take his place at Rockefeller Center.

It sounds weird, but our offense was not great today. Yes, we scored 6 goals but they were not as dominant as I expected them to be...

Sure, we could go in, guns blazing and maybe get a goal, but we'd rather be methodical and precise. The job gets done...just looks a bit different. Frustrating as hell sometimes, I agree.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I know that, I just wish we could have some more sustained pressure in the offensive zone. Lindberg and Fast were great at that today. The Stepan-line was struggling. All in all a good game from lines 1, 3 and 4 though. It's difficult to have sustained offensive pressure when you have a multi-goal lead.

Not sure why you would want that when this team isn't built for that. During the Jagr days, that is what the team was built for. Especially with Nylander and Straka.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

^This

I'm not an advanced stats lover or maven, but I do agree with the high shots taken + high scoring percentage of late trailing teams that don't necessarily translate to a win or preventing scores against the trailing team.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rope-a-dope. We get a lead of a couple goals, try to absorb the impending barrage, and try to pick off another on a counter. As long as the goaltending is consistently great, it will continue to be a successful (albeit frustrating to watch) strategy for the team.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Rope-a-dope. We get a lead of a couple goals, try to absorb the impending barrage, and try to pick off another on a counter. As long as the goaltending is consistently great, it will continue to be a successful (albeit frustrating to watch) strategy for the team.

Guess that explains why I am under 30, fairly fit and have high blood pressure :laugh:

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Funny stat.
The next closest team to a hot streak besides the rangers are the buffalo sabres at 3 wins (in the east) and then the wild and coyotes in the west also at 3.

Rangers too stronk.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Ahh yes the quest for the perfect hockey game

It's a sport of ebb and flows and momentum. Every team is going to get pinned during any given game. This team is very adept to not breaking when that happens. Sorry if it doesn't look pretty enough for a full 60 mins.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Good point. When the opposing team presses and takes high risk, that is the time for turnovers and precision plays.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Wrong. Lundqvist made the right play. Blues (were) going to be caught off guard if stalberg didn't fumble it and sure as hell not his fault 2 guys just let tarasenko rip that shot.

Not really sure why girardi tried to play the man instead of hurting tarasenkos shot.... That was just a stupid play by him.

No more mcdonagh and girardi please

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The team has had an insane record with a lead after 2 periods for years. In many of those games they were out shot in that 3rd period while playing defensive hockey.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
McDonagh and Yandle need to be a thing on the PP. McDonagh's point shot is very underrated.

It's getting better every game. His shot isn't usually something to write home about, but they've been running this option where they move the puck north-south on one side of the ice, then send it east-west, then tap-pass to McDonagh who blasts it home.

It's pretty effective.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
AV pairing him with Boyle for 2/3rds of the game didn't help things...

I think AV is trying to get girardis confidence up, so he moves girardi up with McDonagh... It also seems like he's force feeding minutes to Staal, which I don't think he's capable of taking anymore...

He then runs any combination of staal, Klein, Boyle, and Yandle together.... The problem is the only pairing worth anything at that point is Yandle-Klein....

He needs to leave it like this:

Mcdonagh-Klein
Yandle-Girardi
Staal-Boyle

And if he's not happy with boyle then we need to pull up diaz and rotate a combo of Diaz, McIlrath, and Boyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad