Injury Report: 16-17 "Robidas Island": All Inhabitants have left the Island

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think that's by design of the other team. Make sure those 2 are covered and let hyman carry it. They know it will lead to a 50/50 battle for the puck whereas when willie/Matthews carry it is they set up and get sustained pressure.

What I have noticed though is the nylander and Matthews are dumping the puck a bit more often, Willie in particular.
At the start of the season they would try to force the puck in making high danger played at the opposing blueline which worked sometimes but when it didn't lead to odd man rushes. Willie seems to be reading situations better and forcing the play less. Still needs some more work there but definitely improved.

As long as Hyman is back checking digging for the puck in a corner or standing in front of the net were golden
It's the other stuff he's ropey at
Working hard with a bit of a skill deficit is his wheelhouse so hopefully the other two can supply the skill (which they should)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think that's by design of the other team. Make sure those 2 are covered and let hyman carry it. They know it will lead to a 50/50 battle for the puck whereas when willie/Matthews carry it is they set up and get sustained pressure.

What I have noticed though is the nylander and Matthews are dumping the puck a bit more often, Willie in particular.
At the start of the season they would try to force the puck in making high danger played at the opposing blueline which worked sometimes but when it didn't lead to odd man rushes. Willie seems to be reading situations better and forcing the play less. Still needs some more work there but definitely improved.

oh its for sure by design but I think extra effort to try and rush with a skill player, if the other team wants it our team should not so maybe come up with break out plays that go against the norm (im sure they do work on this). Willy dumping it in too often is not a good thing it means babcock has worn him down and taken a major asset of willy's game and beat it out of him, to me let the skilled players use their skill. That's why his short side shot on the late game 6-5 didn't bother me he has the skill to score there that's what you want

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
As long as Hyman is back checking digging for the puck in a corner or standing in front of the net were golden
It's the other stuff he's ropey at
Working hard with a bit of a skill deficit is his wheelhouse so hopefully the other two can supply the skill (which they should)

True but I also see Matthews and Nylander doing well at positioning and digging for pucks.
Imo nylander is underrated on his board play.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
oh its for sure by design but I think extra effort to try and rush with a skill player, if the other team wants it our team should not so maybe come up with break out plays that go against the norm (im sure they do work on this). Willy dumping it in too often is not a good thing it means babcock has worn him down and taken a major asset of willy's game and beat it out of him, to me let the skilled players use their skill. That's why his short side shot on the late game 6-5 didn't bother me he has the skill to score there that's what you want

Willie doesn't seem worn down at all as I think, but don't know the numbers, his zone entries are still dominated by carry in vs dump in. It's just he is dumping in when it's probably the less dangerous option.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Willie doesn't seem worn down at all as I think, but don't know the numbers, his zone entries are still dominated by carry in vs dump in. It's just he is dumping in when it's probably the less dangerous option.

yeah true, if you want a game breaker let him be a game breaker is the point I was getting at. But if he does what babs wants then that's fine too I hate seeing him demoted for trivial things.

Babcock said leivos promotion had nothing to do with willy playing bad just leivo playing better. There were 4 wingers who were so much more invisible than nylander they should of been demoted. JVR, Brown, Komarov and Hyman (we all know he wont move). JVR did get demoted. Point is Nylander has been playing well so using him as the short straw because leivo was playing well really annoyed me

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
yeah true, if you want a game breaker let him be a game breaker is the point I was getting at. But if he does what babs wants then that's fine too I hate seeing him demoted for trivial things.

Babcock said leivos promotion had nothing to do with willy playing bad just leivo playing better. There were 4 wingers who were so much more invisible than nylander they should of been demoted. JVR, Brown, Komarov and Hyman (we all know he wont move). JVR did get demoted. Point is Nylander has been playing well so using him as the short straw because leivo was playing well really annoyed me

Jvr hardly saw the ice in the 3rd against the jackets so that was a message. I don't think we can move him because if we do we will have to lines that need sheltering, bozak and Jvr. With them together it's much easier to match up.
Leivo to Kadri's line makes it less an offensive threat but still dangerous and I think it will be very efficient. Brown to the bozak line I'm not sure how it will turn out. Brown can't bring the magic mitch did so they might be the line to suffer. If jvr brings it though they could be good.
The 4th line is status quo. Wish goat was back.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
True but I also see Matthews and Nylander doing well at positioning and digging for pucks.
Imo nylander is underrated on his board play.

Nylander and Mathews have the ability to do those things but if Hyman is on that line his *** should be the one buried in the corner fighting for the puck not a guy with actual skill and vision like Nylander or Mathews
That's the only reason to have Hyman on that line

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Jvr hardly saw the ice in the 3rd against the jackets so that was a message. I don't think we can move him because if we do we will have to lines that need sheltering, bozak and Jvr. With them together it's much easier to match up.
Leivo to Kadri's line makes it less an offensive threat but still dangerous and I think it will be very efficient. Brown to the bozak line I'm not sure how it will turn out. Brown can't bring the magic mitch did so they might be the line to suffer. If jvr brings it though they could be good.
The 4th line is status quo. Wish goat was back.

May be the best thing that line could have
The Bozak line gets filled in way to often and Brown may help shore it up defensively and that could free Marner up when he's fit again to play with Kadri
If the Matthews Nylander line works out of course

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Nylander and Mathews have the ability to do those things but if Hyman is on that line his *** should be the one buried in the corner fighting for the puck not a guy with actual skill and vision like Nylander or Mathews
That's the only reason to have Hyman on that line

Matthews and nylander both are good at it. I agree that Zach should be the main guy, but you want all 3 forwards to be ble to do it. At least that's my preference

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
If Marner is out for more than a game, we will likely call up a warm body for the press box.

Who do you think it may be/would you prefer it to be?

A guy like Froese, or Griffith who has experience has a spare piece in the NHL?
Or one of the vets like Greening, Michalek, or Laich, so as to avoid disrupting the youth in the AHL?
Or a rookie who hasn't seen any NHL time yet like Moore, or Timashov to give them a taste of the day-to-day in the NHL?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If Marner is out for more than a game, we will likely call up a warm body for the press box.

Who do you think it may be/would you prefer it to be?

A guy like Froese, or Griffith who has experience has a spare piece in the NHL?
Or one of the vets like Greening, Michalek, or Laich, so as to avoid disrupting the youth in the AHL?
Or a rookie who hasn't seen any NHL time yet like Moore, or Timashov to give them a taste of the day-to-day in the NHL?

Marner will be in the press box as long as he is day to day.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Marner will be in the press box as long as he is day to day.

Yea, as long as he is NOT on the IR we can't bring up someone else. Who draws in for tomorrow? Is Sosh healthy enough to play? He was the only scratched forward right?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At this point, it's nice to know we have some big cornerstones in place up front and we can start thinking about little luxuries and tweaks. An upgrade on Hyman in the form of a bigger, meaner, bulldozer of a power forward who can shovel the puck forward and pummel the oppostion defense would help break down whatever other teams are trying to put in Marner and Matthews way in the neutral zone, another defenseman who can slice and dice the neutral zone like Kaberle used to would help the mileage on the forwards, and a utility speedster like a Carl Hagelin would be great too.

I really like the puckhandling abilities of Dimytro Timashov, I think he can be a real asset in the future. Kapanen, Korshkov are interesting. An external addition might be necessary though.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
At this point, it's nice to know we have some big cornerstones in place up front and we can start thinking about little luxuries and tweaks. An upgrade on Hyman in the form of a bigger, meaner, bulldozer of a power forward who can shovel the puck forward and pummel the oppostion defense would help break down whatever other teams are trying to put in Marner and Matthews way in the neutral zone, another defenseman who can slice and dice the neutral zone like Kaberle used to would help the mileage on the forwards, and a utility speedster like a Carl Hagelin would be great too.

I really like the puckhandling abilities of Dimytro Timashov, I think he can be a real asset in the future. Kapanen, Korshkov are interesting. An external addition might be necessary though.

Josh Anderson

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Retroactive to last week. He's eligible to come back Thursday. Take a deep breathe, this was done so that the Goat could come up and replace Smith in the line up. Also:

LOL players are stupid. they would play if they had limbs falling off.
(but seriously that's good).

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I know part of Dubas work was to track players during practices with sensors, so they can record when someone is getting run down, or know about an injury before it occurs.

I'm wondering if this has played a role in how healthy the Leafs have been this year, or if it's just chance/coincidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad