GDT: #16 – Sabres at Blues – Tue Nov 15, 8:00PM ET – MSG-B

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
HDSC my ass. The blues had plenty more scoring chances than we did.

Sorry that Buffalo having nearly 60% of the highest quality scoring chances is inconvenient for your narrative of tonight's game. But keep square-pegging that round hole, I'm sure it'll fit soon. In the meantime, enjoy your catharsis.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Totally agree.

2010-2011 => 9th in goals for (near top of the league)
2011-2012 => 17th in goals for (middle of the pack)
2012-2013 => 21st in goals for (but only 11 goals from last place)
2013-2014 => dead last in goals for (40 less than next closest team!)
2014-2015 => dead last in goals for
2015-2016 => 27th in goals for
2016-2017 => 30th in goals for

We are basically icing a tank team at the moment, so I don't see how it's the coaches fault. Also, as you can see above, our scoring issues predate Bylsma'a hiring.

This is so laughable I'm not even sure if it's a serious post.

It's not even remotely close to the same roster.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Sorry that Buffalo having nearly 60% of the highest quality scoring chances is inconvenient for your narrative of tonight's game. But keep square-pegging that round hole, I'm sure it'll fit soon. In the meantime, enjoy your catharsis.

Highest quality scoring chances is not even close to exactly recorded. Stop acting like it's fact.

If you watched that game and saw 2 teams being evenly matched other than one not finishing chances, I completely disagree.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
:shakehead

We don't do a lot of little stuff that would help our offense. Things that don't remotely take elite or even real good talent to deploy it. Just need basic hockey skills. Its maddening talking to you about this when you quite clearly have no idea what these things are. They've been explained to you by several posters about 10000000000000x

I'm not even going to bother any more.

I have had these conversations going back to Ruff. Those that think the coach can turn a 10 goal scorer into a 20 goal scorer. Its not happening. The same people that blame coach believe Girgensons is a 40 point player. Its an excuse.

I understand coaching matters, but it doesn't change the skill and hockey IQ a player possesses.

I did enjoy talking about puck support a few weeks, ago. I can clearly see that has changed and there is more support. But Mike Babcock could coach this team as is and they wouldn't score goals.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
IMO, it's not a one or the other problem.

Bylsmas system leaves a lot to be desired, and we lack finishers or snipers. Seriously, is there anyone on this team with a truly threatening shot besides eichel? Who can finish tight chances in close besides reinhart?

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
This is so laughable I'm not even sure if it's a serious post.

It's not even remotely close to the same roster.

Plenty of players left over from the tank years. Moulson, Gorges, Gionta, Ennis, Girgensons, Foligno, Risto, Weber (last year under Bylsma), Des, Bogo (last leg of final tank season)

And the good players we added aren't really playing right now due to injury, so basically we're a tank team.

Meszaros == Franson
Benoit == Nelson/Falk

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Highest quality scoring chances is not even close to exactly recorded. Stop acting like it's fact.

If you watched that game and saw 2 teams being evenly matched other than one not finishing chances, I completely disagree.

I saw us getting better quality chances and stepping on our dicks, per usual. The data is recorded under the same criteria for both teams. But, by all means, keep making yourself look silly.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Which is why in High Danger Scoring Chances we outchanced the Blues 10-7 (59% HDSC%)? Because we were badly outcoached and out-systemed in this game? Sit down.

You can lead horses to water but you can't help them score.

Disco's white Knight is in the house.

A difference of 10-7 means next to nothing with that stat and you should know that. Also that stat is kind of tough to take too seriously since it relies on where a player shoots from, when they shoot, how long after a rebound, etc. But it has somewhat arbitrary time frames and there is no mitigation by whether or not the player is being defended or is wide open. Two very different situations. And that stats's definition can be tweaked depending on model. Nor does that stat in anyway repudiate the idea that Disco plays a conservative style. We have the much larger sample size of his entire time as our coach to look at to show that.

You may want to sit down yourself.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I saw us getting better quality chances and stepping on our dicks, per usual. The data is recorded under the same criteria for both teams. But, by all means, keep making yourself look silly.

What good are high quality scoring chances when the players getting them have stone hands?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Disco's white Knight is in the house.

A difference of 10-7 means next to nothing with that stat and you should know that. Nor does it in anyway repudiate the idea that Disco plays a conservative style. We have the much larger sample size of his entire time as our coach to look at to show that.

You may want to sit down yourself.

I'm in a gameday thread. I'm talking about today's game. You know, the whole point of the thread. If you want to go ***** about Bylsma on a global level, go for it - but I believe we have a thread for that. I'm sure you can find it in your favorites tab.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
We have no finishers. It's a huge problem, and will be for the foreseeable future. Eichel and Nylander are all we have. Vanek, Kotalik, Hecht, and Satan were all great finishers back in the hay day.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We have no finishers. It's a huge problem, and will be for the foreseeable future. Eichel and Nylander are all we have.

Okposo and Reinhart can finish. Not much in terms of creating. They need someone to create for them.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
Okposo and Reinhart can finish. Not much in terms of creating. They need someone to create for them.

Reinhart can create, but he's got the syndrome of being a step ahead of everyone on his line. He either rushes or misjudges his linemates anticipation.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Plenty of players left over from the tank years. Moulson, Gorges, Gionta, Ennis, Girgensons, Foligno, Risto, Weber (last year under Bylsma), Des, Bogo (last leg of final tank season)

And the good players we added aren't really playing right now due to injury, so basically we're a tank team.

Meszaros == Franson
Benoit == Nelson/Falk

I don't believe Bylsma is the only reason why this team can't score. But he is part of the reason. the idea of listing off the 14-15 scoring and comparing it to last year or even this year before the ROR injury is laughable.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Reinhart is good at creating and decent at finishing around the net. Okposo has an average shot, decent skating, and as you said can't create his own offense.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

Agreed. Buffalo should have won. Lehner cost them another one. Need a better goalie.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Reinhart is good at creating and decent at finishing around the net. Okposo has an average shot, decent skating, and as you said can't create his own offense.

This okposo guy you are talking about sounds familiar... Sounds like matt ellis. Is your okposo related to kyle okposo that plays for the buffalo sabres?

I mean really.

Also pretty happy i ignored a lot of this game.

Pretty excited to see this team healthy and with a winning plan. Maybe in 2017.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Just finished watching the game...my thoughts....

We are timid and play a lacksidasical type of game. There is no sense of urgency. There is no sense of killer instinic. Sorry, mostly that's on Blysma, it's his personality.

Examples:

I'm going to puke if I see that "drop" on the power play. Just why? It doesn't work. RR looks like a fool every time he does it and obviously the book is out on the Sabres. They are four across on the PK, never thinking the Sabres are going to fire it in as they hit the red line. COACHING

Line changes. There is no hustle to the bench. COACHING

Demeanor. Their faces don't have the excitement that they should. COACHING

Now granted, the players could play above their coach but it isn't happening here. This team is the least working team in the NHL, the least. No hustle, no "that's my puck...FU if you think you can take it from me!" I hope we finish dead last, because I'd ate to see a race to eight again...I friggin hate a passive coach.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm in a gameday thread. I'm talking about today's game. You know, the whole point of the thread. If you want to go ***** about Bylsma on a global level, go for it - but I believe we have a thread for that. I'm sure you can find it in your favorites tab.

10-7 with that stat proves absolutely nothing and frankly you should know that. Do you understand the limits of that stat? Its arbitrary time frames on rebounds, its arbitrary areas on the ice that are the "high danger scoring areas" depending on whose model you use. That it doesn't take into account if the player in that area is being defending. So if a guy is in a high danger area with a defense on him that counts the same as a player wide open in that same area. Quite obviously its not the same.

So when Fabbri scores on PP goal on a rebound into a wide open net with no one on him defensively. Or when Schwartz scores a goal putting home a rebound into a wide open net because coverage was blown by 3 Sabres and Lehner was scrambling. Or when noted sniper Brodziak just redirects the puck on net after Nelson lost him in coverage and Lehner and no chance to stop it. Those all count as dangerous scoring chances as much as Girgs with a defender in front of him and the goalie square to him. The one where he hit the defenders skate. The point would hold if it was Reinhart because its not the equal of an open net or easy redirect.

Tarasenko had at least 1 glorious scoring chance in the slot that Lehner got over and made the save on. he was pretty much open with a defender scrambling to get over to him. Do you recall many chances like that or the situations like their 3 goals for us? I honestly don't recall, maybe we had the same amount maybe we had 1. Even our goal was an ugly mess that hopped skipped and jumped into the net. The Blues created scoring chances where the goals were easy to score. We created no such chances that I can recall but I may have missed one. The Blues scored essentially tap ins that require no sniping skills.

You're greatly overplaying this stat's meaning. Like using the percentage to make it seem dramatic. 10-7 isn't much. Not to mention if the Blues had 4 of their 7 HDSC like I described above and we no more than that. It kind of shows the stat doesn't mean as much as you think it does.

When you initially quoted that poster he was talking in general that Disco is conservative in response to someone else. That seemed pretty obvious and why I went "global", as you put it. You're the one that brought it around to tonight.

EDIT: And yes everyone seems to be looking for a catharsis of sorts in this frustrating season where injuries killed the fun before it begin.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Reinhart is a good accurate passer. Okposo is better than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad