Prospect Info: 156th overall: Vancouver selects Arturs Silovs (Goalie, Latvia ---> Barrie Colts)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It’s a no-brainier for Silovs to start the year in the AHL and get the occasional start in the NHL at home unless there is an injury. He’s a great prospect but the WC isn’t that high of a competition level. Michael Carconne is on team Canada for goodness sake.

Martin got hung out to dry and lost his confidence last season, but he is worth having a look at. It was Martin that the Canucks went with when push came to shove in the AHL playoffs, and I think that is something to note. Even if Martin is not the answer, another low cost back up is preferable to allow Silovs to gain the experience to build consistency
If Jeremy Colliton had a 'do-over' in the Calder Cup playoffs, he'd have ridden Silovs for the duration.

It wasn't that Martin was 'bad' in the playoffs....it was just that he got outplayed by Wolfe at the other end. Martin is a battler in the crease, but his lack of rebound control consistently gets him into trouble.

At this point in their careers, Silovs is just a better goaltender. So unless the Canucks go out and acquire a veteran backup, which they simply can't afford to do, then surely they have to go with the best option to backup Demko in Vancouver.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
erm didn't Demko have about that when he was annoited our #1 goalie (edit: it was 37 NHL games/107 AHL games)? The popular notion around these parts that Spencer Martin, (who is arguably the worst goalie ever to suit up for this team), should back up Demko while Silovs is banished to the minors is looking less and less like a good idea. He should enter camp as the 1B based on his recent performances. He certainly appears to be the real deal. P.S. How on earth was he not Latvia's player of the game in this last match?
Demko also had close to 100 games in the NCAA, which is a higher level of competition than the OHL. Silovs only played 36 games in the OHL.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Not if they have plans on winning.
Having Silovs as a back up is not going to move the meter for winningmuch compared to Martin, while hindering Silov’s development. He needs game experience and he won’t get enough of that. He’ll still be 22 next season and is not quite ready yet according to most goalie talking heads like Woodley. There’s a very real chance that Silovs could get overwhelmed or lose his game playing behind what is probably going to be an average to poor team defence playing once every 1 to 2 weeks.

To plan on winning their going to need to improve their team defence and sort out that PK.

Woodley on with Riccio and Shah - from Wednesday, but about Silovs is the last 8mins or so.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
If Jeremy Colliton had a 'do-over' in the Calder Cup playoffs, he'd have ridden Silovs for the duration.

It wasn't that Martin was 'bad' in the playoffs....it was just that he got outplayed by Wolfe at the other end. Martin is a battler in the crease, but his lack of rebound control consistently gets him into trouble.

At this point in their careers, Silovs is just a better goaltender. So unless the Canucks go out and acquire a veteran backup, which they simply can't afford to do, then surely they have to go with the best option to backup Demko in Vancouver.
This is complete speculation on your part, especially when it comes to trying to mind read what Colliton would do unless You have something to back that up? Wolfe outplayed both Canucks goaltenders, he was the best goalie in the AHL by a mile. Listen to Woodley below, he makes it very clear that Silovs has great potential but makes it clear he still needs development. He also mentions that the Wranglers were disappointed the Canucks didn’t keep playing the rotation as they also thought Merton was the better goalie…

Woodley on with Riccio and Shah - from Wednesday, but about Silovs is the last 8mins or so.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Martin was 'unplayable' as a 'backup' and a 'starter' last season. His rebound control simply isn't NHL caliber. He's a decent AHL goalie, but that's about it.
He's not even that; Collin Delia totally outplayed him all year. Why they signed him for TWO YEARS (on the basis of a decent half dozen games) is beyond me...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is complete speculation on your part, especially when it comes to trying to mind read what Colliton would do unless You have something to back that up? Wolfe outplayed both Canucks goaltenders, he was the best goalie in the AHL by a mile. Listen to Woodley below, he makes it very clear that Silovs has great potential but makes it clear he still needs development. He also mentions that the Wranglers were disappointed the Canucks didn’t keep playing the rotation as they also thought Merton was the better goalie…

Sure it's complete speculation.....who knows what the motivation is of any coach is when it comes to playoff goaltending decisions.

But the bottom line, is that if Silovs had played in the Calder Cup playoffs the way he's playing now in the IIHF World Championships, then Abbotsford would probably still be playing.

Besides, how many coaches in the NHL, the AHL or even minor hockey 'alternate goalies' in every playoff game? Silovs was one of the AHL's leading goaltenders and the team MVP during the regular season. And even got five games in Vancouver, where he had a winning record.

Sorry coach, but surely you ride a guy like that every game in the playoffs, unless he seriously falters.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
The NCAA isn't even close to the quality of the OHL.

The various league equivalency models put the NCAA a bit above the OHL, and Hockey East is a relatively strong conference within the NCAA.

As well, the performances of players who switched between the two leagues (such as Swankler and Biggs) also points to the NCAA being at least a bit better than the OHL. That's mostly due to the NCAA players being several years older on average.

Reactions: Lindgren

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The various league equivalency models put the NCAA a bit above the OHL, and Hockey East is a relatively strong conference within the NCAA.

As well, the performances of players who switched between the two leagues (such as Swankler and Biggs) also points to the NCAA being at least a bit better than the OHL. That's mostly due to the NCAA players being several years older on average.
...which makes a gigantic difference and makes for a very uneven playing field. I stand by my original assertion...

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
...which makes a gigantic difference and makes for a very uneven playing field. I stand by my original assertion...
Okay I assert that the Memorial Cup Finals is higher quality than the Swiss A except I'm hiding my recognition that one is an adult professional league and the other is a league for teenagers, while also ignoring the fact that it isn't true.

Reactions: Play

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Having Silovs as a back up is not going to move the meter for winningmuch compared to Martin, while hindering Silov’s development. He needs game experience and he won’t get enough of that. He’ll still be 22 next season and is not quite ready yet according to most goalie talking heads like Woodley. There’s a very real chance that Silovs could get overwhelmed or lose his game playing behind what is probably going to be an average to poor team defence playing once every 1 to 2 weeks.

To plan on winning their going to need to improve their team defence and sort out that PK.

Yeah I agree for the most part. One thing is certain though, we're doomed if we need to play Martin in more than a couple games. Silovs might actually be able to handle it after seeing his WC performance. Regardless, it has been shown for the last 4 years. We absolutely need a backup capable of playing 25+ games.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Yeah I agree for the most part. One thing is certain though, we're doomed if we need to play Martin in more than a couple games. Silovs might actually be able to handle it after seeing his WC performance. Regardless, it has been shown for the last 4 years. We absolutely need a backup capable of playing 25+ games.

If Demko gets injured then Silovs can be called up and split starts with Martin or whomever is the back up. The point is that you want Silovs getting 40-55 games to get that experience to keep bedding in those skills and technique he works with Clark and the Abbotsford goalie coach. If he plays as back up in the NHL he’d probably only get around 20-30 games.

Again, I’d like to emphasise that while the WC performance is impressive, it is a step below NHL competition and a small sample size, playing behind a team that is “parking the bus” in front of Silovs. That is not how the Canucks will play. I believe what the goalie experts are saying: Silovs needs more time to refine his game.

Sure it's complete speculation.....who knows what the motivation is of any coach is when it comes to playoff goaltending decisions.

But the bottom line, is that if Silovs had played in the Calder Cup playoffs the way he's playing now in the IIHF World Championships, then Abbotsford would probably still be playing.

Besides, how many coaches in the NHL, the AHL or even minor hockey 'alternate goalies' in every playoff game? Silovs was one of the AHL's leading goaltenders and the team MVP during the regular season. And even got five games in Vancouver, where he had a winning record.

Sorry coach, but surely you ride a guy like that every game in the playoffs, unless he seriously falters.
I give up.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

I wouldn't use performance at the WC to gauge NHL-readiness. This years WC had 1, maybe 2, legitimate 1st line NHL forwards and no elite goal scorers.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The NCAA isn't even close to the quality of the OHL.
Guys that are PPG in college at 20 regularly step into bottom-6 roles in the NHL. Guys that are PPG in the OHL at 20 usually can't make the AHL, often can't even make the ECHL, and end up playing for obscure Canadian colleges or semi-pro leagues.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Guys that are PPG in college at 20 regularly step into bottom-6 roles in the NHL. Guys that are PPG in the OHL at 20 usually can't make the AHL, often can't even make the ECHL, and end up playing for obscure Canadian colleges or semi-pro leagues.

Maybe they meant it's not even close because it's much better.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I can surf hockeyDB for hours just looking at all the weird places these guys end up. Canadian semi-pro leagues you never knew existed, UK league where guys score 250 points in 40 games, tiny colleges on the prairies, etc
The NHL isn't even close to the quality of the EIHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What on earth?

NCAA hockey is much, much higher calibre than the CHL.
Too true.....which makes Matthew Wood and intriguing possibility for the Canucks at pick #11. Hard to ignore a 17 year old kid who's already 6'4" but was close to a ppg player in the NCAA with the University of Connecticut.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
1685255241664.jpeg

Silovs look short here.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Too true.....which makes Matthew Wood and intriguing possibility for the Canucks at pick #11. Hard to ignore a 17 year old kid who's already 6'4" but was close to a ppg player in the NCAA with the University of Connecticut.
Wood led the BCHL in scoring in his D-1 season with 85 points.

Here is what I find interesting…

His linemate in Victoria (Ellis Rickwood) was 2nd in league scoring with 80 points.

Rickwood also left for college hockey and played at Clarkson University.

Look at their numbers:

Matthew Wood 35 games and 34 points (led the team in scoring)

Ellis Rickwood 35 games and 5 points (all assists). 17th in team scoring, and he turns 21 next month.

Anyone familiar with Wood…has there been in improvement in his skating at all over the last couple of seasons?

Also, has Wood gone through a relatively recent growth spurt that could possibly explain some of his skating issues?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad