Prospect Info: 156th overall: Vancouver selects Arturs Silovs (Goalie, Latvia ---> Barrie Colts)

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I think you're remembering the Demko who stood on his head and almost singlehandedly beat the Knights in the COVID playoff here.

It's been mostly downhill since then, a lot of it caused by injuries. I can't understand why nobody seems very concerned about Demko horrific start to last season. The 'drop-off' to Silovs may not be as dramatic as you think.
I think your getting ahead of yourself here.

If we trade Demko, then we bet everything on Silovs after only a handful of games played. Not a chance that management does that, after seeing how 1 injury last year tanked the goaltending and cost them any chance at the playoffs. Martin looked great after his short stint, but see how easily his confidence got shook and his game fell apart.

The alternative being that we spend assets on a 1b goalie to split duties at the very least, or overpay for 1 in free agency and be forced to give them term while we are at it.

The smart move, is to be patient and wait until Silovs forces our hand through undeniably strong NHL play. Nothing is wrong with Silovs ripening in the AHL, and nothing is wrong with having 2 good goalies - until the 2nd one is due a big raise.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think you're remembering the Demko who stood on his head and almost singlehandedly beat the Knights in the COVID playoff here.

It's been mostly downhill since then, a lot of it caused by injuries. I can't understand why nobody seems very concerned about Demko horrific start to last season. The 'drop-off' to Silovs may not be as dramatic as you think.
It could be dramatic, because Silovs might drop off a cliff with increased workload. It just happens too much in the league where a goalie looks good under 10 games, then they have to adjust to being the backup who has to play 10-20 games which means you are hanging around and not playing regularly. Now with tandems looking like they're returning to the league, a goalie has to get used to the physical and mental stress of playing 40. If they're in Demko's shoes, they have to be able to play 60. Markstrom has only just learned how to do that really. THEN, a goalie like Demko or Oettinger has to navigate 60 regular season games plus however many games in the playoffs.

Martin himself is a good example of how a promising trajectory can go horribly wrong.

Even if you average Demko last year with a LONG disastrous stretch to his season, Silovs is only 0.007 better than him. And Silovs mostly played at the beginning of the Tocchet bump - after the initial teething issues but before malaise set in at the very end of the season. So he had much more favourable conditions for his starts and still had lots of holes in his game that I saw.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
They should also slot Silovs in at 3C. It's pretty obvious that he'd also be effective there.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The smart move, is to be patient and wait until Silovs forces our hand through undeniably strong NHL play. Nothing is wrong with Silovs ripening in the AHL, and nothing is wrong with having 2 good goalies - until the 2nd one is due a big raise.
This. I don't think this team is good enough just yet to throw him into the NHL as a starter. I say give Demko one more kick at the can but maybe with Silovs in a sort of 1b situation where he plays 25-30 games in the NHL. If Demko falters he is there to step in.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They should also slot Silovs in at 3C. It's pretty obvious that he'd also be effective there.
The other day I had an epiphany, the partner we've been searching for the play with Hughes has been right in front of us this whole time, Arturs Silovs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Logic dictates that the Canucks come back with Demko....and either have Silovs as the backup or everyday starter in Abbotsford. And that's what will probably happen.

But as they say, time and tide wait for no fisherman. Right now a team like the Kings is desperate for a starting goaltender, and might be willing to give up a lot for a guy like Demko.

The problem is, if Demko has another ordinary, injury-plagued season, his trade value might be near zero.

If you're a team like the Canucks that's tight to the cap with holes everywhere in your lineup, then desperate times might call for desperate measures.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
But as they say, time and tide wait for no fisherman. Right now a team like the Kings is desperate for a starting goaltender, and might be willing to give up a lot for a guy like Demko.

The problem is, if Demko has another ordinary, injury-plagued season, his trade value might be near zero.
This. The geography works here and we should maximize his value barring a phoenix-like renaissance. Trouble is we will then need at least one competent goalie. Wonder if Collin Delia is available?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This. The geography works here and we should maximize his value barring a phoenix-like renaissance. Trouble is we will then need at least one competent goalie. Wonder if Collin Delia is available?
If the Knights, Av's and Blues can win a Cup with Aiden Hill; Darcy Kuemper and Jordan Binnington, then the Canucks should be able to challenge for a playoff spot with just anybody between the pipes.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
If the Knights, Av's and Blues can win a Cup with Aiden Hill; Darcy Kuemper and Jordan Binnington, then the Canucks should be able to challenge for a playoff spot with just anybody between the pipes.

Those teams had 4 top-pair defensemen plus 2-3 bottom-pair D who could log top-4 minutes. Canucks only have 1 legitimate top-4 D (2 with Hronek) and no one who is a proven top-4 shut down defenseman.

Reactions: Lindgren

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Not with the Chaos Giraffe prowling the blue line they won't...

Reactions: B-rock

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This. I don't think this team is good enough just yet to throw him into the NHL as a starter. I say give Demko one more kick at the can but maybe with Silovs in a sort of 1b situation where he plays 25-30 games in the NHL. If Demko falters he is there to step in.
I'm sure that's what the Canucks are hoping for. But what if Demko gets injured again? How durable is he really? Can he actually play 60 games without going down?

If there's a deal on the table for him--that helps replenish the Canucks badly denuded draft picks and/or their prospect pool, you have to at least consider it, don't you?

Reactions: Zippgunn

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I am just doing stats watching, but 899 save percentage with GAA more than 3.00 doesn't sound very encouraging?

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I am just doing stats watching, but 899 save percentage with GAA more than 3.00 doesn't sound very encouraging?
From what I've seen of Abbotsford games this season, it's pretty run-and-gun hockey. They score a ton, and give up a ton of chances as well.

Arturs is just so technically sound, his skill is quite evident especially compared against other AHL goaltenders. But he has not been great this year, merely good.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This Abbotsford team is young, and with guys like Wolanin and Dries on the shelf, they're even younger. Relying on first and second year players, is great for organizational development. But it's murder on your goaltenders.

You watch this AHL Canucks team, and they remind me of the parent Canucks under Boudreau. They give up a bushel-full of Grade A chances night after night. Fortunately this is the AHL--and a lot of players don't have the skill to bury those 2-1's and 3-2's.

But unfortunately both Silovs and Topolito are being hung out to dry on a lot of nights. So you can't be too hard on them.

Reactions: nergish

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I am puzzled why this thread hasn't been in first page already. Hopefully he got a game or two. It's not unreasonable to expect him to perform better in the NHL due to better defense corps from Vancouver

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I am puzzled why this thread hasn't been in first page already. Hopefully he got a game or two. It's not unreasonable to expect him to perform better in the NHL due to better defense corps from Vancouver
He will play next Tuesday vs Buffalo or Thursday vs Montreal

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
From what I've seen of Abbotsford games this season, it's pretty run-and-gun hockey. They score a ton, and give up a ton of chances as well.

Arturs is just so technically sound, his skill is quite evident especially compared against other AHL goaltenders. But he has not been great this year, merely good.
Plenty of days off between games, so could see Desmith run with it on this homestand. Do wonder if they shuttle between Silovs and the Finnish kid for a couple of games each at a time. When they are scheduled to play, it's in Abby and when they are not, they are up as the backup.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Hmmm..not sure why the comments is gone, but like I said hopefully he got afew games with us this time

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, when you compare Demko's seasons with the Utica Comets and Silovs' two seasons in Abbotsford, their AHL stats are remarkably similar.

Around 2.50-2.60 as a GAA and around 9.90 - 9.11 as a save percentage. And both goalies were about the same age when they hit the AHL, although Silovs probably has more international experience playing for Latvia in the World Hockey Championships.

And they're also remarkably similar sized goaltenders. Demko is listed at 6'4, 193 and Sllovs, 6'4" and 203. Obviously AHL stats don't mean much when it comes to assessing how goalies will translate the NHL.

But it's not unreasonable to project that based on his AHL stats, Silovs at the very least has the potential to be a decent NHL backup.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Actually, when you compare Demko's seasons with the Utica Comets and Silovs' two seasons in Abbotsford, their AHL stats are remarkably similar.

Around 2.50-2.60 as a GAA and around 9.90 - 9.11 as a save percentage. And both goalies were about the same age when they hit the AHL, although Silovs probably has more international experience playing for Latvia in the World Hockey Championships.

And they're also remarkably similar sized goaltenders. Demko is listed at 6'4, 193 and Sllovs, 6'4" and 203. Obviously AHL stats don't mean much when it comes to assessing how goalies will translate the NHL.

But it's not unreasonable to project that based on his AHL stats, Silovs at the very least has the potential to be a decent NHL backup.
Didn’t Demko put up a .922 in his final AHL season? Meanwhile his teammate(Bachman who I believe was considered to be a solid AHL goalie) had a much lower sv%

Silovs has a .907 and his teammate has a .905

I assume the avg AHL sv% is a bit lower now than back then but still I’d be very hesitant to compare Silovs AHL career to Demko’s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad