Prospect Info: 156th overall: Vancouver selects Arturs Silovs (Goalie, Latvia ---> Barrie Colts)

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Silovs grew a ton this season (not height wise he was already massive). He went on to be a goalie I wanted in net for Abby and I don't remember ever seeing him have a bad game in any of the contests I went to. He has the athleticism, height, positional play to all be an NHL goalie. I wouldn't mind him being in Abby for one more year (he's only just turned 22), but I also wouldn't be shocked if the team wants him to backup Demko and get 20-25 NHL games under his belt.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Unless Silovs does a complete face-plant at training camp in September, at worst he's the backup goalie in Vancouver.

Can't see what would be accomplished by having him spend another year in the AHL.

Nothing wrong with having him spend most of the season as the #1 in Abbotsford. He only has around 70 games of pro experience so far and could benefit from lots of game time.

Reactions: Dudekun and arttk

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Unless Silovs does a complete face-plant at training camp in September, at worst he's the backup goalie in Vancouver.

Can't see what would be accomplished by having him spend another year in the AHL.
I can see a lot that can be accomplished by having him spend another year primarily in the AHL. He really hasn't played that much and while he is exceptionally talented, experience will help him bed in his technique to make it second nature and reliable in times of pressure. I think it's instructive that when push came to shove in the AHL playoffs they went to Martin. Silov's WC performances are certainly encouraging, but that is a level of competition a step below the NHL.

I'm fine with Martin or whoever being the regular backup with Silovs shuttling from Abby for a few starts here or there as a few of the talking heads have suggested. If Demko goes down again I reckon it'll be an open comp as to who gets the majority of the starts.

Reactions: kylek023

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It might seem sacrilegious, but is Slovs' progression making Demko a trade chip once again?

Demko's name cropped up in trade rumors when he returned from injury last season, and he's virtually the only affordable, and valuable asset the Canucks have in a trade.

Silovs progression this year has been nothing short of inspiring. Coming off an MVP season in Abbotsford; he looked solid in his five starts with the Canucks; and is now one of the best goalies in the IIHF World Championships.

Ian Clark is a 'Goalie God'

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It might seem sacrilegious, but is Slovs' progression making Demko a trade chip once again?

Demko's name cropped up in trade rumors when he returned from injury last season, and he's virtually the only affordable, and valuable asset the Canucks have in a trade.

Silovs progression this year has been nothing short of inspiring. Coming off an MVP season in Abbotsford; he looked solid in his five starts with the Canucks; and is now one of the best goalies in the IIHF World Championships.

It's early. But, that said, a seemingly crazy but not completely unrealistic scenario has Silovs showing, in a combination of AHL/NHL games next year that he has a legitimate #1 upside (if he hasn't already). The following year, the last year of Demko's contract, he could show he's ready for primetime making Demko very tradable at the deadline to a contending team needing goaltending as the final piece. The return would be big.
It would be a very risky move given Silovs would have less than a full year under his belt or, at most, less than 2.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Goaltending is still quite expendable, but I wouldn't bank on Silovs being able to supplant Demko...especially with Demmer's contract.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
He potentially could be better then Demko because he is more athletic then Demko. Demko is good but is far from being an elite athletic goalie like Sorokin, Saros, Vasy and Sherestkin.

Demko is similar to Hellebyuk in term of style
It's been trained out of him. Watch Demmer's highlights when he was with Boston College, the guy was doing the splits and barrel-rolls. Very scrambly and explosive, looked a lot like a young Pekka Rinne. Part of Clark's work with Demko has been making him more zen.

I'm a goalie guy myself, and I am nowhere near ready to anoint Silovs as the Canucks next starter. Even in the future.

He's a project currently in development, but does have insane flexibility and great size.
Was extremely impressed with his play in Abbotsford, and when called up to the big club - hope he gets a ton of playing time next year. Wherever he is.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Leave him in the AHL. Consolidate the good work and progress he's made to finish off this season.

Silovs was under .900 in the AHL past the middle of the year and then dropped a .932 over his last 14 appearances from February 1 onward, along with 5 good NHL games and 5 good WC games. It's a 25-game sample size of excellent play - which is great - but until proven otherwise it's just a hot streak that pulled him up to NHL level, not an NHL-level baseline.

There is tons of time. Silovs will be 22 next year. Last year there was 1 goalie in the entire league under age 23 who played more than 20 games and that was Spencer Knight, and I don't think rushing Knight along has worked out well for Florida really.

Rushing Silovs into the NHL as one of the youngest goalies in the NHL with limited pro experience based on a small sample of good play is the absolute worst thing they could do, in my mind.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I agree, keep Silovs marinating in the ahl. He can work with Clark either way which seems to be the most important thing. Hopefully Spencer Martin can show again that he's NHL backup material and Silovs can take the majority of the starts on the farm.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Like last year, Silovs has earned the #1 goalie position for Team Latvia at the WC and helped to earn a win against Czechia.

Here's a quote from Arturs Irbe as Silovs got his stamp of approval: "An NHL goalie has came to the tournament. Some will say that he's from the AHL. I say - an NHL goalie. If someone thinks he is not, let's talk in two years. Guaranteed. I had a chance to get to know Arturs. He has a large lion inside him."
Well that doesn't sound very comfortable.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
I could understand wanting Silovs in Vancouver a bit more if the AHL team was still on the other side of the continent. But if he's playing in Abbotsford he'll have easy and frequent access to Clark amongst others. No need for him to be in the NHL much this year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It it's a choice between Martin and Silovs as the backup goalie for the Canucks next season, it's a bit of a 'no-brainer' isn't it?

Silovs is a far better goalie and is proving it in these World Championships. So unless the Canucks can miraculously find some cap space to sign a veteran backup, it should be Silovs in a backup role.

Reactions: calnuck

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
It it's a choice between Martin and Silovs as the backup goalie for the Canucks next season, it's a bit of a 'no-brainer' isn't it?

Silovs is a far better goalie and is proving it in these World Championships. So unless the Canucks can miraculously find some cap space to sign a veteran backup, it should be Silovs in a backup role.
I think they should focus on his development and put him in the ahl, unless Martin is unplayable as backup. Maybe give him some games but for the most part he needs to keep playing as a starter down there. Don't rush prospects, especially goalies.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What always amazes me about some of the best goalies in the league, is how often they come out nowhere. A few of them were first rounder, but a lot like Silovs, were 'afterthought' draft picks.

Makes me wonder about Nikita Tolopilo......He's 'big', as in 'really big', and coming off a .940 SVP in the Allsvenskan. Hopefully Clark has uncovered another good one.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Nothing wrong with having him spend most of the season as the #1 in Abbotsford. He only has around 70 games of pro experience so far and could benefit from lots of game time.
erm didn't Demko have about that when he was annoited our #1 goalie (edit: it was 37 NHL games/107 AHL games)? The popular notion around these parts that Spencer Martin, (who is arguably the worst goalie ever to suit up for this team), should back up Demko while Silovs is banished to the minors is looking less and less like a good idea. He should enter camp as the 1B based on his recent performances. He certainly appears to be the real deal. P.S. How on earth was he not Latvia's player of the game in this last match?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
inside you there are two lions
eddie-murphy-nod.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think they should focus on his development and put him in the ahl, unless Martin is unplayable as backup. Maybe give him some games but for the most part he needs to keep playing as a starter down there. Don't rush prospects, especially goalies.
Martin was 'unplayable' as a 'backup' and a 'starter' last season. His rebound control simply isn't NHL caliber. He's a decent AHL goalie, but that's about it.

Reactions: The Colonel

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada

It’s a no-brainier for Silovs to start the year in the AHL and get the occasional start in the NHL at home unless there is an injury. He’s a great prospect but the WC isn’t that high of a competition level. Michael Carconne is on team Canada for goodness sake.

Martin got hung out to dry and lost his confidence last season, but he is worth having a look at. It was Martin that the Canucks went with when push came to shove in the AHL playoffs, and I think that is something to note. Even if Martin is not the answer, another low cost back up is preferable to allow Silovs to gain the experience to build consistency

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
It’s a no-brainier for Silovs to start the year in the AHL and get the occasional start in the NHL at home unless there is an injury. He’s a great prospect but the WC isn’t that high of a competition level. Michael Carconne is on team Canada for goodness sake.

Martin got hung out to dry and lost his confidence last season, but he is worth having a look at. It was Martin that the Canucks went with when push came to shove in the AHL playoffs, and I think that is something to note. Even if Martin is not the answer, another low cost back up is preferable to allow Silovs to gain the experience to build consistency

Not if they have plans on winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad