Prospect Info: 156th overall: Vancouver selects Arturs Silovs (Goalie, Latvia ---> Barrie Colts)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That would be ideal. Kielly doesn't have a future so may as well let him be the Moose backup or #3. For that matter the Canucks should be signing a vet to sit on the taxi squad so DiPietro can play some meaningful games in Utica.

Don't post stuff that makes so much sense. I made this same post weeks ago and got no further with it than you will except maybe a response or 2 telling you the way they did it was the right way. DiPietro is getting better development practicing with the Canucks (who rarely practice) than he would playing in the AHL which isn't as good this season. If they believe that, anyone with something of little value for sale light these guys up.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Gotta bring this thread back to life because Silovs has been strong in both of his starts in Abbotsford. You couldn't ask for a better start from a 6th-round pick who is only 20.

Reactions: bh53 and Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's interesting.....Ian Clark might be the only goaltending consultant with a clear image of what he wants in an NHL goaltender, and they all seem to be cut from the same cloth.

Merzlikins, Korpisalo and Silovs are all rangy goaltenders of at least 6'.3", with good down low net coverage, and tremendous later agility. Then the goaltending coaches work with them to iron out the mechanics. The Canucks have drafted another one in Koskenuvo, so it'll be interesting to see how he works out.

By comparison, a lot of other NHL teams seem to have no clue about what they should be looking for in drafting a goaltender. But I guess scouting a goaltender in junior, college or in Europe on the bigger ice, and trying to project them to the NHL, is tough and unpredictable work.

It's probably one of the reasons why a lot of goalies are like Spencer Martin has to bounce around in the ECHL and AHL for years before finally learning the ropes and becoming even a reliable NHL backup.

Reactions: Bobby9

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
With goalies you look for the skills you can't teach, Athletism, ability to read the play and you teach them the techniques. Its basically the opposite of how you draft players. Stats mean nothing because its largely dependent on the team infront of the goalie

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's interesting.....Ian Clark might be the only goaltending consultant with a clear image of what he wants in an NHL goaltender, and they all seem to be cut from the same cloth.

Merzlikins, Korpisalo and Silovs are all rangy goaltenders of at least 6'.3", with good down low net coverage, and tremendous later agility. Then the goaltending coaches work with them to iron out the mechanics. The Canucks have drafted another one in Koskenuvo, so it'll be interesting to see how he works out.

By comparison, a lot of other NHL teams seem to have no clue about what they should be looking for in drafting a goaltender. But I guess scouting a goaltender in junior, college or in Europe on the bigger ice, and trying to project them to the NHL, is tough and unpredictable work.

It's probably one of the reasons why a lot of goalies are like Spencer Martin has to bounce around in the ECHL and AHL for years before finally learning the ropes and becoming even a reliable NHL backup.

Clark has talked about length and extension a lot. He has also talked about being able to teach goaltending in like a day. So you are right in that Clark definitely has a type he goes for that he thinks he can mould.

Martin and DiPietro would have gone through Clark as well.

Like positional players, there's a certain time frame in which to make the team. The chances of Dipietro getting the majority of starts in Abbotsford when he is 26 is slim.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

That backfired on him in Columbus, which is how we got him. He advocated for those guys, but there are rumours he didn't mesh well with either.

I can see the argument with Latvians, since I'm not sure they have a really strong goaltending infrastructure. But Koprisalo is from the Finnish system which gives kids goalie coaching from an early age. He probably wasn't buying a ton of what Clark was selling.

Watching Silovs practice makes me think he's pretty far off and definitely still a project. Just not a lot of refinement to his skating and agility.

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
So, Silovs debuted for the Latvian national team last night, substituting Merzlikins after he gave up 5 in the first period. Silovs saved all 11 shots. Although the Czechs calmed down after the explosive first period and there were only few dangerous moments, Im happy for the kid. Was solid against Pastrnak, Hertl and co. Afterwards was awarded player of the game.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So, Silovs debuted for the Latvian national team last night, substituting Merzlikins after he gave up 5 in the first period. Silovs saved all 11 shots. Although the Czechs calmed down after the explosive first period and there were only few dangerous moments, Im happy for the kid. Was solid against Pastrnak, Hertl and co. Afterwards was awarded player of the game.

Very nice for Silovs - tough situation to come into, but glad he and the team handled it well.

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Since you guys appear to be inderested, I feel obligated to inform you that Silovs is in the net right now against Austrians. 1st period ended, he allowed no goals. Austrian top forward is Marco Kasper. Who knows, maybe youre the ones to draft him at 15? I would recommend to watch, if you promise to not be mean to Latvia.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Since you guys appear to be inderested, I feel obligated to inform you that Silovs is in the net right now against Austrians. 1st period ended, he allowed no goals. Austrian top forward is Marco Kasper. Who knows, maybe youre the ones to draft him at 15? I would recommend to watch, if you promise to not be mean to Latvia.

We are very pro-Latvia when it comes to our boy Silovs!

Reactions: Vikz

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I can't watch. I'm relying on your updates. Bring it.

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
I can't watch. I'm relying on your updates. Bring it.
As per popular demand, heres the 2nd intermission update. Latvia now leads 3-2. Cant blame Silovs for any of the two goals.

First one was on a counterattack. Middle was left completely free and the Austrian player received the puck about 2-3 meters from the net. Fired a very precise shot over Silovs shoulder right in the upper corner.

Second one was on a 3 on 5 pk. Cant blame anyone, including Silovs, when allowing a goal in this situation. Although, I consider this one a little weak. They shot from the blue line, there was some traffic in front of the net, but nothing too significant. Silovs looked as if he did not see the puck, but a more experienced goalie probably should find a way to see through.

Made a great save later, after Marco Kasper made a great pass to an open player in front of the net, who had a second or two all alone. Silovs stretched and saved a point blank shot with his pad, but it still would have been a goal should the Austrian lift the puck higher.

3 awesome goals from Latvia on the other end, including two beauties from our only NHL forward Balcers. This is probably not something you guys are interested in, but hey, you asked for an update.

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Silovs allowed one goal in 3rd period. Austria pressured us for some time and ended up with a goal from the blue line with a ricochet in front of the net. 28 SA and 3 goals for Silovs.

Reactions: Lindgren

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Silovs finished with 32 SA and 3 goals. Austria had like 15 shots in the third, who knows how much in the OT, he was crucial to getting us to the shootout. He stopped 4 out 5 and got his first win with the NT. Thanks for the hospitality Canucks forum, I'm off celebrating.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Silovs finished with 32 SA and 3 goals. Austria had like 15 shots in the third, who knows how much in the OT, he was crucial to getting us to the shootout. He stopped 4 out 5 and got his first win with the NT. Thanks for the hospitality Canucks forum, I'm off celebrating.
Our thanks to you! Great reports! Much appreciated!

Reactions: M2Beezy and Vikz

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Sounds like it was a must win game for Latvia to avoid relegation?
Interesting they decided to go with Silovs over Merzlikins, an NHL starter who now has a higher cap hit than Demko, given the circumstances

Reactions: M2Beezy

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Sounds like it was a must win game for Latvia to avoid relegation?
Interesting they decided to go with Silovs over Merzlikins, an NHL starter who now has a higher cap hit than Demko, given the circumstances
It wasnt. We had a win over Norway, and are yet to play the outsideriest of outsiders, Great Britain. I think that by writing "avoided relegation", IIHF meant that it is mathematically impossible for us to be relegated now. We actually still have a chance to make the playoffs, which is why they are saving Elvis for the most important game against Sweden. And giving him a break after he was abandoned and fed to the wolves in the Czech game.

Silovs deserved a full game and they gave him one against a weaker opponent. He is far from being the guy used in win or die situation, but he made a big step in that direction yesterday.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Latvia finishes the preliminary round tomorrow, the 24th, with a very tough match against Sweden. Perhaps Merzlikins will bounce back from his injury, but it looks like there's a good chance that Silovs will get the start.

Nothing else interesting is going on for the Canucks. The pressure on @Vikz for exciting updates will be building. Don't choke.

Reactions: Vikz and M2Beezy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad