Prospect Info: 156th overall: Vancouver selects Arturs Silovs (Goalie, Latvia ---> Barrie Colts)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That's untrue. He was drafted out of Europe, so Sikovs is not bound to the CHL-AHL-NHL deal. He can go at the end of this year if the Canucks so choose.

So playing for a Canadian Jr team doesn't apply for Europeans or Americans? They can be poached while the Canadians can't? Good to know.

Silovs would be our first European not to run back home rather than enter or stay in the AHL until he felt he could just skip the AHL and go right to Vancouver. Pettersson the rest are not.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So playing for a Canadian Jr team doesn't apply for Europeans or Americans? They can be poached while the Canadians can't? Good to know.

Silovs would be our first European not to run back home rather than enter or stay in the AHL until he felt he could just skip the AHL and go right to Vancouver. Pettersson the rest are not.

It's based on the league you are drafted from and not based on nationality. Lukas Jasek is an European who is developing in the AHL right now. He skilled the CHL.

JUMBOcanuck

Nov 15, 2007

He was drafted, and signed before playing the CHL, so the rule does not apply. Had he played last season in the CHL and then drafted, the same AHL rule would apply.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He was drafted, and signed before playing the CHL, so the rule does not apply. Had he played last season in the CHL and then drafted, the same AHL rule would apply.

That is a much clearer explanation. He escapes with the draft vs non draft technicality. Thank you.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems only a matter of time until Silovs is Barrie's starting netminder. Looks like this team gives up a ton of shots and scoring chances. At times he must feel like he did playing for Latvia facing a barrage of shots in the WJC. Hopefully a good development for him in the OHL.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What's the read on this guy?

18GP
4.02 GAA .881 SV%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not a good look but junior goalie stats can be deceiving.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Quick Silovs update - Was going to try and catch a game, or two, but 4/6 games he could've started have been postponed (I assume due to Covid). In the two games he has played...he's faced 117 shots against!!! He lost his 1st start 6-0 with HS Riga getting outshot 58-10, and also lost his 2nd start 3-2 in OT with his team being outshot 59-18. At least we know he's seeing lots of pucks :laugh:

Current statline - 2GP .924% 4.34GAA 108/117 Shots saved.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Quick Silovs update - Was going to try and catch a game, or two, but 4/6 games he could've started have been postponed (I assume due to Covid). In the two games he has played...he's faced 117 shots against!!! He lost his 1st start 6-0 with HS Riga getting outshot 58-10, and also lost his 2nd start 3-2 in OT with his team being outshot 59-18. At least we know he's seeing lots of pucks :laugh:

He has no luck being on teams that can play defense. I believe he stopped a lot of pucks last year for a pretty lousy team in the OHL (was it Barrie? Just going off the top of my head)

Still - it seems like he does make a fair number of saves while facing so many shots.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

He's going to fit right in then. :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have faith in Ian Clark....obviously he saw something in this kid, despite a pretty pedestrian season last year on a bad Barrie Colts team. He was all-world for Latvia in the World Juniors, facing 60 shots in a loss to Canada. So being blitzed with an avalanche of shots is nothing new to him.

Still a little hard to understand why he was one of the first players signed out of the 2019 draft class even though he was picked 156th overall....But I guess the the Canucks will have the full three years on his ELC to assess him.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Silovs played 2/4 games for Latvia vs Germany in the Deutschland Cup (Nov 5th-8th). Silovs made 16/18 saves in a 4-2 win (Nov 6), and stopped 39/41 shots in a 3-2 OT win (Nov 8th). Finished with 2 wins, a .932 Save%, and a 1.93 GAA in his 2 GP.

Silovs was loaned from HK Riga to HS Mogo today.

Thank you for providing the updates. I’m still getting used to exploring the vast multitude of Threads on HF and am often pleasantly surprised to find one like this. Access to not-so-common information from Members like you is one of the things that originally brought me here.
897864FD-17B7-4669-94A1-2CED8DA4CF52.gif

GX

Dec 28, 2011
To add some context to Silovs' Latvian league adventures:

HS Riga is essentially the base team for U-18 team of Latvia, so it normally gets heavily outshot. It is the team that Silovs played for before getting drafted. In line with national Covid-19 restrictions, athletes under 18 are currently not allowed to take part in competition, so all of HS Riga games have been rescheduled. Because of that, he was offered to move to HK Mogo, which is quite a solid team and the most recent (2019) league champions - it has two NHL alumni (in Schremp and Bartulis) playing for it. He played his first game today, helped the team win 4:1, stopped 25/26 shots, was named the best player of the team.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Silovs got tossed out of the yesterday's game for kicking an opponent (sounds way worse than it was). Throughout game, opponent forwards crashed into him 3-4 times, so clearly he got fed up.

Overall, he has been doing ok, yet he hasn't been a stand-out so far. In 4 games played with Mogo, 89/99 shots saved, 2.56 GAA, 2 wins, 2 losses.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Silovs is a bit of blank canvas as a goalie, but if history is any guide just the kind of young netminder that Ian Clark loves to work with. He's a similar height and weight to Elvis Merzlikins and Joonas Korpisalo in Columbus, two unheralded goalies that came out of nowhere under Clark's tutelage.

His career appears to be pretty pedestrian so far, but somebody, somewhere in the organization must be convinced because he was the first kid in the 2019 draft class to sign an ELC with the Canucks.

I guess we won't for sure until he lands in Utica. But at 6'4" and 210, he's a project with some upside.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Silovs is a bit of blank canvas as a goalie, but if history is any guide just the kind of young netminder that Ian Clark loves to work with. He's a similar height and weight to Elvis Merzlikins and Joonas Korpisalo in Columbus, two unheralded goalies that came out of nowhere under Clark's tutelage.

His career appears to be pretty pedestrian so far, but somebody, somewhere in the organization must be convinced because he was the first kid in the 2019 draft class to sign an ELC with the Canucks.

I guess we won't for sure until he lands in Utica. But at 6'4" and 210, he's a project with some upside.
With a limited AHL season, I see Dipietro playing the 21-22 season, the last on his ELC in the AHL, so if Silovs is assigned to the A in 21-22, then those 2 will split the net.

Also was supposed to be a big year for Matthew Thiessen at Maine. Didn't really play for Maine last season, so he's a guy I would expect to finish his degree before he considers turning pro.

Likely see the Canucks take another goalie in the later rounds in 2021 (round 4 onwards). Probably want some insurance if neither Thiessen or Silovs do much by 2023.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I wonder if Vancouver will not draft a goalie in the 2nd round? if they would if in position to do so

Jesper Wellstest

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I wonder if Vancouver will not draft a goalie in the 2nd round? if they would if in position to do so

Jesper Wellstest

Wallstedt is currently trending towards the top 10-15 range in the 1st round, so I wouldn't count on him making it to the 2nd round (would be a no brainer if he did though).

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Silovs has yet to see game action for the Moose. Have to wonder if it would've been better to send Kielly to Manitoba, and Silovs to Utica.
That would be ideal. Kielly doesn't have a future so may as well let him be the Moose backup or #3. For that matter the Canucks should be signing a vet to sit on the taxi squad so DiPietro can play some meaningful games in Utica.

Reactions: UticaHockey

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That would be ideal. Kielly doesn't have a future so may as well let him be the Moose backup or #3. For that matter the Canucks should be signing a vet to sit on the taxi squad so DiPietro can play some meaningful games in Utica.
Totally agree with this....and if they can't find the equivalent of a Louie Domingue somewhere to take up room on the taxi squad, then they should think about swapping Silovs and DiPietro....with the guarantee that DiPietro get into some games with the Moose.

That would give Silovs a chance to work directly with goalie coach Ian Clark at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->