Golf: 151st Open Championship - Royal Liverpool Golf Club - Hoylake, England

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Can Rory repeat at Liverpool and go back-to-back after his W in Scotland today? Would be poetic for him to get it done here this week, a year after that heartbreak at St. Andrews. Would give him some momentum going into Augusta next year as well. Have felt for a while he needs to win one of the other 3 before he gets his Masters.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If there’s bad weather expected again for next week, send them out in it.

If balls are moving on the greens, that’s one thing.

If not, don’t wimp out and move around the tee times to get the best possible conditions. Golf has gotten too soft. Players now get to decide winning scores of majors, if they complain enough. The difficult test of the US Open has been neutered. I hope the conditions of the Open doesn’t get similarly neutered, and the past two days of moving up tee times doesn’t make me hopeful.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

2023 Open Championship odds, field​

Jon Rahm +750
Scottie Scheffler +900
Rory McIlroy +900
Brooks Koepka +1400
Jordan Spieth +1800
Viktor Hovland +1800
Cameron Smith +2000
Collin Morikawa +2200
Xander Schauffele +2500
Patrick Cantlay +2500
Cameron Young +2800
Matt Fitzpatrick +2800
Tyrrell Hatton +2800
Justin Thomas +2800
Tommy Fleetwood +3000
Dustin Johnson +3000
Tony Finau +3500
Max Homa +3500
Shane Lowry +4000
Bryson DeChambeau +4000
Joohyung (Tom) Kim +4000
Justin Rose +4000
Sam Burns +4000
Rickie Fowler +4500
Sungjae Im +5000
Hideki Matsuyama +5000
Sahith Theegala +6000
Corey Conners +7000
Joaquin Niemann +7000
Paul Casey +7500
Billy Horschel +8000
Adam Scott +8000
Marc Leishman +8000
Ryan Fox +8000
Robert MacIntyre +8000
Russell Henley +8000
Patrick Reed +8500
Abraham Ancer +8500
Aaron Wise +9000
Christiaan Bezuidenhout +10000
Sergio Garcia +10000
Thomas Pieters +10000
Seamus Power +10000
Keegan Bradley +10000
Louis Oosthuizen +10000
Tom Hoge +10000
Phil Mickelson +10000
Adrian Meronk +12500
Lucas Herbert +12500
Gary Woodland +12500
Francesco Molinari +12500
Keith Mitchell +12500
Padraig Harrington +15000
Brian Harman +15000
KH Lee +15000
Harold Varner +15000
Mackenzie Hughes +15000
Sepp Straka +17500
JJ Spaun +20000
J.T. Poston +20000
Lee Westwood +20000
Danny Willett +20000
Cameron Tringale +20000
Luke List +25000
Stewart Cink +30000
Trey Mullinax +30000
Zach Johnson +30000
Darren Clarke +50000
Ernie Els +50000

Course Refresher

The New 17th hole

2014 Final round

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
From Golf Twitter - x-axis is 2023 cumulative strokes gained T2G, y-axis is cumulative strokes gained putting:

F1LA76GaYAACLfG

Anyway...

I'll be waiting for the draw and the weather before making any picks/bets but I don't see any reason not to have Scottie as the favourite. I also think this course sets up nicely for Patrick Cantlay, and I'm expecting this week to be the week he actually tries to do something at a major. Not the first time I've thought that before.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can’t imagine how a win here gives anyone a leg up for a tournament that doesn’t take place for another 8 months. Maybe the Ryder Cup.

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I can’t imagine how a win here gives anyone a leg up for a tournament that doesn’t take place for another 8 months. Maybe the Ryder Cup.

When you win it takes pressure and stress off you. He hasn't won a major in almost a decade, and has been so close and is always asked about it. You get the feeling that if he wins one again, the floodgates might open where he gets another one or two after

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Brooks is as tough mentally as he claims, playing with Cantlay shouldn't be an impediment to being in position going into the weekend. Everyone gets shitty pairings sometimes. Part of the game. And these top players get so much better pairings than the weaker players that get into these fields.

Having to wake up at 4AM to be first off one day or having two tee times right in the middle of a day where you don't get to putt on freshly rolled greens is probably going to cost you more shots than playing with an asshole like Cantlay or Reed.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Michael Kim is a necessary Twitter follow. Good anecdotes and tidbits about the course, he’s funny and active on golf Twitter in general

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone want to give it a go at how they rank 1-10 the 10 courses in the rota?

If you need a list of the courses, Old Course, Muirfield, Troon, Carnoustie, Turnberry, Hoylake, St. George’s, Birkdale, Lytham, Portrush

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here’s my list.

I like all these courses. There are no Bellerives in this rota. But some are better than others.

And yeah, we’re kind of in a 4 year lull of venues from 2021-2024 with all being in my bottom 5.

1. Muirfield-Great winners almost every time. The best PFP course in the rota. So fair, but also very difficult. Seems like every Open it hosts is a really good one. Great location too. Sadly they are in the R&A doghouse right now, but I’m hopeful it’ll end soon.

2. Carnoustie-Love the difficulty and finishing stretch. Once again, cant beat East Coast of Scotland.

3. Birkdale-It’s the best of the English courses. A little like Muirfield in that it’s a real proper test. Very fair, but also is able to play difficult and incorporate true links elements. Great finishing hole too. Produces a lot of great winners.

4. Turnberry-Best views 100%. Has had some very memorable finishes, which seem to all involve Tom Watson. Actually a pretty stellar course too, but everyone only knows it for the views. Yeah, we know why it’s in the doghouse. Who knows if that’ll ever change? But definitely bad for the Open if it doesn’t.

5. Portrush-Way in on this venue after one Open. You could make a good argument it’ll be competing for the best few when it’s hosted more of them. I think it’s very important that there’s representation from outside England and Scotland. Want an Irish course too.

6. Old Course-Definitely a hot take, but it’s incompatible with the modern game. The history of it is unmatched, but it’s by far the worst current course in the rota. How do you match those two things up? And low key, 4 of the last 6 winners haven’t been those historic players people associate with this course. I think the easiness is allowing for worse winners.

7. Troon-Love how much it leans into the out and back feel more than any course in the rota. It’s the worst of the Scottish courses, but still really good. Last time it hosted was great.

8. St. George’s-Very quirky course, which a lot of people hate, but I think is what makes the Open great. I’ve read a lot about of the rota courses how it’s the course people hate on TV, and then they love once they play it. The last time it hosted was pretty good too. Biggest downsides, hosting the Open so far South. Also the winners tend to be weaker, not that they’re totally bad.

9. Lytham-Another course that gets a bad rep, but is pretty underrated. Has the most bunkers I think of any course in the rota. The finishing stretch and clubhouse is memorable. Has had some great finishes over the years too and generally good winners. Seems to be out of the rota though of late. The R&A has passed over it twice now in slots it should’ve gotten the Open.

10. Hoylake-Great winners the last two times. And great winners too pre 1960, but it feels oddly situated with how little it’s hosted compared to other venues of late and it’s not like a Turnberry or Portrush with natural appeal. It’s kind of just a very plain course. Not bad, but not really near the ocean and not ultra linksy feel to how shots are played. Don’t love how the players tend to take it apart either. But it’s still better than basically every PGA venue and a lot of US Open venues.

Last edited:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
If Rory is ahead a bit after Saturday (either solo or tied with somebody like last year), i really hope the media doesn't make it feel like Sunday will be his coronation. I feel like he's done well in recent years when he's chasing rather than running away from everyone, the latter of which was kinda a hallmark of his younger career. The guy has literally had like 2 careers at this point haha.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Turnberry is the best. Carnoustie next, then Portrush, Troon, Muirfield.

I think being skeptical of the Old Course is a lukewarm take, actually. Seemed to have begun gaining traction at the 2015 Open. The Road Hole is just incredible, and might be the best hole in major championship golf outside of Augusta. The other 17 are just okay.

I may be overrating Troon because of how well Stenson and Phil played it in 2016. The best golf I've ever watched.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Fowler was 2 under on 18 and in the middle of the fairway off the tee…hit 2 approaches out of bounds and made 8.

Adam Scott also doubled 18 after driving OB to go from red numbers to over par

Im liking internal OB so far

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille