GDT: 151204 Sharks @ Ducks 7pm

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I don't like Deboer.

Thornton has been average this season.

Is Couture back?

I'm Thornton's biggest fan, but he has really dropped off the past few weeks, to the point he has been pretty bad. I know he's regressing, but hopefully this isn't the beginning of the end.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Jones was really good tonight, the best Shark for sure.

The 4th line was a disaster, no energy and very few minutes to provide support to the other 3 lines.

Are we witnessing the regression of Joe Thornton?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm Thornton's biggest fan, but he has really dropped off the past few weeks, to the point he has been pretty bad. I know he's regressing, but hopefully this isn't the beginning of the end.

I don't think it's completely regression, personally.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011

I was trying to remain positive.:sarcasm:

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
1432.gif

... I don't know what I expected

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Thornton hasn't been right since that scary incident involving his head hitting the ice.

Either way, there probably needs to be a shake up of the lines.

The Nieto-Hertl-Wingels line definitely looks good but there isn't any scoring dangers. They build pressure with nothing following.

The top line is slow, aside from Melker.

Second line - is doing ok for a line that doesn't have a real center.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Is there a rule that says the two joes have to play together on the top line? I'd like to see what Thornton can do with Ward and shuffle the lines a bit.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Is there a rule that says the two joes have to play together on the top line? I'd like to see what Thornton can do with Ward and shuffle the lines a bit.

I'd put Marleau with Thornton and Karlsson and have Pavelski center Ward and Donskoi at the second line level...third if Hertl's line can handle it and depending on how well that line can click.

Thornton's line could use an increase in speed right now until Thornton's game gets back on track.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I'd put Marleau with Thornton and Karlsson and have Pavelski center Ward and Donskoi at the second line level...third if Hertl's line can handle it and depending on how well that line can click.

Thornton's line could use an increase in speed right now until Thornton's game gets back on track.

My only concern is the Donskoi/Pav/Ward line would be ridiculously slow.

Maybe Wingels/Pav/Ward line with Nieto/Hertl/Donskoi on the 3rd?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My only concern is the Donskoi/Pav/Ward line would be ridiculously slow.

Maybe Wingels/Pav/Ward line with Nieto/Hertl/Donskoi on the 3rd?

I wouldn't want to mess up what the 3rd line has going for them but maybe putting them up at the 2nd line level will work. It's a tough spot to be in with so many guys struggling to do well offensively right now.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
I'm just so happy that Tierney sat in the press box so Haley could spend more time in the penalty box than he did on the ice.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wouldn't want to mess up what the 3rd line has going for them but maybe putting them up at the 2nd line level will work. It's a tough spot to be in with so many guys struggling to do well offensively right now.

That was my thought process saying maybe Thornton should play with Ward. I don't want to mess up the only strong line and you can't put Thornton on the fourth line. That's why I was thinking switch Thornton and Marleau. Of course it's a moot point when couture comes back but the last few games I see the top line and the lack of scoring and think you need the top line to be your main producer of scoring. If not than something isn't working and it might be a message to some guys that they need to play significantly better, especially at home.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
That was my thought process saying maybe Thornton should play with Ward. I don't want to mess up the only strong line and you can't put Thornton on the fourth line. That's why I was thinking switch Thornton and Marleau. Of course it's a moot point when couture comes back but the last few games I see the top line and the lack of scoring and think you need the top line to be your main producer of scoring. If not than something isn't working and it might be a message to some guys that they need to play significantly better, especially at home.

I missed most of last night's game. My cat was dying. So I'm going off of what I saw in previous games.

I agree that it would be a good idea to try mixing up the lines. The top line hasn't been consistently producing all season. Thornton has seemed worse since the non-concussion. Because I think the injury is part of the problem, I don't think that moving him will help his play much. Further, sending a message to him won't work at all if the reason is his injury. But it could with the other players, including sending a message to players on all the lines, not just ones that were changed.

Regardless of the cause of Thornton's poor play, IMO he shouldn't be playing on the top line now. Given the whole line's sporadic play, I don't think any of them really deserve top line time more than some other players. Plus, I think that any player should be willing to play wherever they will help the most so even if they were playing well, if they'd help the team more by playing on the second or third line, IMO that's where they should play.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
First game I got to attend of the year and man 3rd line was the only one that played well. 2Nd line looked ok but seemed like Marleau messed up the PP on 3 occasions.

Burns is fun to watch and Martin showed his value covering for him when burns got way up ice and turned it over and ducks tried to quickly go the other way

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I missed most of last night's game. My cat was dying. So I'm going off of what I saw in previous games.

I agree that it would be a good idea to try mixing up the lines. The top line hasn't been consistently producing all season. Thornton has seemed worse since the non-concussion. Because I think the injury is part of the problem, I don't think that moving him will help his play much. Further, sending a message to him won't work at all if the reason is his injury. But it could with the other players, including sending a message to players on all the lines, not just ones that were changed.

Regardless of the cause of Thornton's poor play, IMO he shouldn't be playing on the top line now. Given the whole line's sporadic play, I don't think any of them really deserve top line time more than some other players. Plus, I think that any player should be willing to play wherever they will help the most so even if they were playing well, if they'd help the team more by playing on the second or third line, IMO that's where they should play.

Are you suggesting maybe giving Thornton some time off? Maybe clear the head and if it is an injury give him some time to heal? In the long run of the season that could help.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Are you suggesting maybe giving Thornton some time off? Maybe clear the head and if it is an injury give him some time to heal? In the long run of the season that could help.

He may need time off but, if it is a TBI, I don't think that the doctors can diagnose that if Thornton wants to hide it. (I'm not suggesting that he's doing that but it is a possibility.) This is far from my area of expertise except for stuff I've read online bc of dealing with my own TBIs and a few in my family but I think most of the tests are pretty crude and many depend heavily on the patient's subjective symptoms (and such symptoms being conveyed to the doctor). Many of the symptoms are similar to other problems as well (e.g., Boyle's problems with sleep) or seem kind of vague (especially to someone whose judgment may be impaired bc of the TBI) so even if Thornton is not trying to hide symptoms, he may not have something that he connects with a TBI so never mentions it to the doctor.

I don't think that rest usually helps TBIs. It is better to not get another TBI while you are still healing from a TBI, though. AFAIK that's why players don't return before their concussion is fully healed. It's not like a torn ligament in that way. So I don't think rest will help him recover any quicker if it is a TBI of some sort.

If it takes longer for him to process things bc of a TBI, it might help to play against lesser competition bc it would give him a fraction of a second longer. That could help him play better bc it would give him a chance to adjust and maybe reinforce/kind of relearn things that have been affected (assuming it is a TBI), which might allow him to build on that.

I hope that he is seeing a neurologist and someone like a neuropsychologist and other experts. Even if it wasn't a TBI, something is going on. If he needs time off to recover, I'd be all for that too, just like I am for Couture.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm just so happy that Tierney sat in the press box so Haley could spend more time in the penalty box than he did on the ice.

No one is too thrilled that Haley and Brown were playing, but this narrative that that was the reason the Sharks lost is tired and trite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad