SNOG announcement

4-2 Islanders

Tavares, Okposo, Lee, Bailey
Pavelski, Burns

Sharks 2
Pavs, Marlol
Islanders 4
Tavares 2, Nelson, Pelech

Four people got the score right, but the others only had one goalscorer a piece. Congrats to our winners.

SNOG%202015-11-10_zpsf1dcdyjv.jpg

Game|SNOG winner|Result
Oct. 7 at LA| CanadienShark | Sharks 5-1
Oct. 10 vs ANH| crzymexicanbeer | Sharks 2-0
Oct. 13 at WAS| none | Sharks 5-0
Oct. 16 at NJ| Painful Quandary, TheJuxtaposer | Sharks 2-1 SO
Oct. 17 at NYI| none | Islanders 6-3
Oct. 19 at NYR| none | Rangers 4-0
Oct. 22 vs LA| magic school bus | Kings 4-1
Oct. 24 vs CAR| SwolePatrol | Sharks 5-2
Oct. 28 vs NSH| none | Predators 2-1
Oct. 31 at DAL| none | Stars 5-3
Nov. 1 at COL| The Great John Scott | Sharks 4-3
Nov. 3 vs CBJ| Gerbefied | Blue Jackets 5-2
Nov. 5 vs FLA| Eid Ma Clack Shaw | Sharks 5-2
Nov. 7 vs ANH| none | Ducks 1-0
Nov. 10 vs NYI| rangerssharks414, Ser Jorah Mormont | Islanders 4-2

2015-16 Standings
---------------------
T-1) CanadienShark, crzymexicanbeer, Eid Ma Clack Shaw, Gerbefied, magic school bus, Painful Quandary, rangerssharks414, Ser Jorah Mormont, SwolePatrol, TheJuxtaposer, The Great John Scott (1)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And these Marleau rumors couldn't have come at a worse time.

I would wonder if that might be (or become) a distraction.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With all due respect, I think a lot of people have complained about the goaltending here over the last few years. Niemi got a lot of heat last year, people were even angry that Doug did not sign Ryan Miller last season. And Ryan Miller while all this was going on, was already having a season in which his personal play was not even as good (or as average) as Niemi's.

Niemi was not a goaltender that could drag a mediocre team into the playoffs, but he also wasn't a goaltender that was gonna directly cost you a playoff spot IMO.

Jones had a .924 save percentage coming into tonight, it's a .918 after allowing 2 goals on 3 (?) shots after tonight. He hasn't been bad.

Perhaps his numbers are still a bit inflated due to his 4 game start when he stopped something like 97.5%-98% of shots faced in that stretch. But he wasn't gonna play like that forever, no one sustains that kind of play over a full season. Let's also not forget that penalty killing was amazing then. Penalty killing was an absolute joke for a good stretch.

Questioning why the 1st was not lottery protected is still valid IMO. I didn't like it and still don't like that myself. But Jones has been fine so far.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And they need to get points on this road trip, it will be a killer if they don't.

Columbus and Buffalo are two of the most absolutely miserable barns for this team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree. He is one of my favorite Sharks players but that is just not his role. Putting him on the PP or a 6 on 5 when you desperately need to score just does not seem right.

To me it seems (so far) that DeBoer is icing a safety first kind of special teams units. It hurts when you just cant put the puck in the net and a player like Vlasic just does not help.

''Safety first'' is a phrase that was used a lot among Devils fans describing DeBoer.

Maybe not the exact phrase, but him taking ''Safe'' approaches to things was talked about a lot.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
anyone got any insight into how deboer runs his practices? the team seems to need to practice more than anything/

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA
Rough game. The Sharks just seem to ooze untimely goals. 2 of the 3 goals (empty netter doesn't count for this) were just weak. Jones and Stalock should have had those. Stalock did a great job in relief, basically playing a whole game, albeit he came in with a 2-0 hole.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Am I getting my timeline wrong here, or did Deboer just slot Melker in right where he last left off under the Koala regime?

I know it works for the most part, but that just seems very strange to me. Did Melker play with Thornton and Pavelski in front of Deboer at all?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Rough game. The Sharks just seem to ooze untimely goals. 2 of the 3 goals (empty netter doesn't count for this) were just weak. Jones and Stalock should have had those. Stalock did a great job in relief, basically playing a whole game, albeit he came in with a 2-0 hole.

Stalock comes in and plays well overall, lets in one horrendous goal, and gets tagged with the loss. Makes all the sense in the world. lol

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Am I getting my timeline wrong here, or did Deboer just slot Melker in right where he last left off under the Koala regime?

I know it works for the most part, but that just seems very strange to me. Did Melker play with Thornton and Pavelski in front of Deboer at all?

I mean the team was down 0-2 when he made the switch. Looking for any kind of spark at that point, and Melker looked good up there.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

When it happened I kind of presumed it was Thornton grabbing control of the situation and just being like "Okay, enough with this crap, I'm trying to win." Probably didn't want to be "learning" with Donskoi after a season with the Melkman. And to that 3's credit, they showed a lot of synergy tonight. The game definitely picked up after the change.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Has DeBoer used the phrase ''Tough building'' in a presser yet? It was like an automatic phrase used in post game road losses during his time in New Jersey.

He wouldn't use it after a home loss. I haven't watched many of his Sharks post game pressers, since I don't get the post game. I've watched a couple on Kurz's blog on the Comcast site.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I mean the team was down 0-2 when he made the switch. Looking for any kind of spark at that point, and Melker looked good up there.

I'm not saying it's a bad move, but that's kinda crazy. That's basically saying, hey let's see if what Todd did works better. It's just funny to me.

When it happened I kind of presumed it was Thornton grabbing control of the situation and just being like "Okay, enough with this crap, I'm trying to win." Probably didn't want to be "learning" with Donskoi after a season with the Melkman. And to that 3's credit, they showed a lot of synergy tonight. The game definitely picked up after the change.

Thornton ain't calling the lines. Though, I'm not sure I wouldn't like to see him try it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
anyone got any insight into how deboer runs his practices? the team seems to need to practice more than anything/

Not sure. Practices were always closed in New Jersey, or at least for the past decade or so they have been. There's been about 3 or 4 special open practices for season ticket holders every years, that's about it. I've never seen much footage from any of them, Lou was pretty private and nothing was really documented. The most you'd see is just clips in practices of the coach's skating on the ice and talking with guys, during intermission and pre game segments. You'd never hear the audio either, it would be completely muted and you'd just hear the intermission/pre and post game host's voice during the segments.

The most exposure I got was a few clips in the video from a few weeks ago. The one where they highlighted Wardo's return to DC, Jones to LA and DeBoer to New Jersey on the road trip. They showed a couple clips of DeBoer telling Wardo to hustle in some kind of a drill. Not in a mad way or anything though.

I do know that he seemed to give away off days and optional practices/morning skates like candy in New Jersey. Even when the team was struggling. They seemed to almost always have two days off of practice per week, at least his last few months there. I think the league only mandates one day per week.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
DeBoer: "I liked our start"

Sure, I'm paraphrasing but get the **** out.

He was merely talking about that first shift up until the end of it. There was nothing wrong with that comment. The change was awful and lazy and then Hertl wasn't aware and went chasing after the puck. Ward and Marleau didn't recognize it anywhere close to on time.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
He was merely talking about that first shift up until the end of it. There was nothing wrong with that comment. The change was awful and lazy and then Hertl wasn't aware and went chasing after the puck. Ward and Marleau didn't recognize it anywhere close to on time.

I did say I was paraphrasing.

I still have an issue with it. We are talking about one shift. ONE!

I feel like the team just doesn't actually critique itself. They say the same stuff every time, but nothing seems to get done about it. With TMac you could at least sense he was frustrated or angry. DeBoer just seems casual and like he's thinking 'oh well'.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The goalie coaches on both sides will be having fun with this one.:laugh:

Greiss screwed himself out of his second career shutout tonight. I think his first was against Colorado when he was a Shark, during that last lockout season.

Wow he actually had two shutouts with Phoenix in 13-14.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I did say I was paraphrasing.

I still have an issue with it. We are talking about one shift. ONE!

I feel like the team just doesn't actually critique itself. They say the same stuff every time, but nothing seems to get done about it. With TMac you could at least sense he was frustrated or angry. DeBoer just seems casual and like he's thinking 'oh well'.

It's still early. It took a while for TMac to get frustrated and angry as well mostly because he didn't really face huge adversity until the 1st round loss to the Ducks. He coasted that year on great talent that got hurt at the wrong time. This team wasn't that good to start with, went with an unproven goalie that has work to do to become a legit starter and shouldn't just be tossed in and treated like one but will. And now the team is going to have to deal with yet another distraction while missing a key player. If the team lets all this get to them, it will sink their season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad