15 Worst NHL Draft Busts Since 2005

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why is the only NHL regular ranked 4th?
Yeah, he's only really a massive draft bust when its considered that he literally returned nothing to the Kings because they waived him. After that he's been a decent NHLer.

I'd say at this point, Dylan Strome is probably an NHL regular, but he hasn't cemented it. While likely to always be disappointment compared to his draft class., I'd expect Strome to move off this list.

Reactions: sabremike

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Sometimes we blame the player for being " a bust". Maybe it was the incompetence of the scouts and GM who just wanted "that guy" to be successful, when there were much better selections available.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Good brand son shouldn't be too much further down the list. He's at least in the NHL; but compared to hype, size and draft position he's been fairly disappointing.

Too bad for him that by the time his NHL career is over it will be too late for his modelling career.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
15. Ellerby
14. Siemens
13. McIlrath
12. Campbell
11. Gormley
10. Mueller
9. Dal Colle
8. Glennie
7. Brule
6. Hammil
5. D.Strome
4. Hickey
3. G.Reinhart
2. Filatov
1. Yakupov

Dylan Strome isn’t done yet and Thomas Hickey is a decent defenseman, not sure I would agree with those.

Sundance

You Can Never Get To
Sep 7, 2010
Lillyhammer
People have such strange definitions.

Guys who play hundreds of games in the NHL are not busts. They're disappointments.
Guys who get career ending injuries are not busts, they're unlucky.

Context matters.

If you're drafted 1st overall and barely last 5 years in the pros due to injuries, you're both unlucky and a bust. Further context, such as whether the player was an extremely hyped prospect, far and above the rest of their draft class or if they were in a 1a/1b scenario for the #1 pick with another player, can add to the story.

Talking busts is very reliant on context, there are all sorts of degrees of bust.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I remember Brule. Guy was supposed to be a good 1 coming out of the 2005 draft. That obviously didn't happen. Just goes to show you ca go high in the draft and still not have a good career.

Pretty sure there was a thread on here comparing Brule to Crosby around the time of the 2005 draft. Hindsight sure, but still funny to look back on.

Just an example of the extensive list of threads on the topic:
The official Brule/Crosby debate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad