15 Worst NHL Draft Busts Since 2005

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
2014 #23 overall : Conner Bleackley.. hated that pick the moment Joe Sakic drafted him.. He was the only 1st rd pick that year that never played in the NHL. Pains me to this day we could have had David Pastrnak

He was great for me in Be A GM! I sent him and Strome to Buffalo for O'Reilly and Buffalo's 1st round pick and snagged Matthews with that pick!!

DualThreat23

Nov 28, 2018
I only covered from 2005-2014 because I personally can't discard anyone who has been drafted since 2015, as I think it's too early. My top 15:

15 - Connolly
14 - Schenn
13 - Hickey
12 - Koekkoek
11 - Brule
10 -Ellerby
9 - Skille
8 - Lee
7 - Sheppard
6 - Glennie
5 - Dal Colle
4 - Hamill
3 - Reinhart
2 - Filatov
1 - Yakupov

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Biggest "bust" takes into account things like draft position, hype, peers in the draft etc. so he might not be the biggest "bust" in that sense but I don't think there's a worse player taken in the 1st round than Tyler Biggs. Guy can't even stick in the American league. He went over to the British League (lol) and had 9 points in 24 games before going back to the East Coast league...I challenge you to find me a worse player taken in the 1st round than Tyler Biggs, hell even the 2nd or 3rd rounds....
There is a plausible chance that some posters on this board are better hockey players than Tyler biggs. Biggs was a 3rd line ECHL player. He is a 3rd/4th line British hockey league player. Any one who is playing division 2 hockey here or has played, will most likely have been a better player than him. He is very lucky to be making an earning from playing hockey.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Biggest "bust" takes into account things like draft position, hype, peers in the draft etc. so he might not be the biggest "bust" in that sense but I don't think there's a worse player taken in the 1st round than Tyler Biggs. Guy can't even stick in the American league. He went over to the British League (lol) and had 9 points in 24 games before going back to the East Coast league...I challenge you to find me a worse player taken in the 1st round than Tyler Biggs, hell even the 2nd or 3rd rounds....

Patrick White was a pretty terrible 1st round pick too. 25th overall but ends up going straight to Germany after University and meddled over there for 8 years until retiring. From a Canucks perspective though he ended up being part of the deal that somehow netted Christian Erhoff and San Jose was left "holding the bag" so to speak.

Patrick White (b.1989) hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Sharks Acquire C Patrick White and D Daniel Rahimi from Canucks

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Auston Matthews
Mitch Marner
William Nylander
Morgan Rielly
Just because they make you bust a nut doesn't make them busts.

Sorry in advance if this banter is to graphic, I condone its removal if one of the mods deems it to be. Just a jest in good fun.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I remember Brule. Guy was supposed to be a good 1 coming out of the 2005 draft. That obviously didn't happen. Just goes to show you ca go high in the draft and still not have a good career.
He did pick up a hitchhiking Bono and got into a U2 concert along with a shoutout.

Reactions: Cassano

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Just because they make you bust a nut doesn't make them busts.

Sorry in advance if this banter is to graphic, I condone its removal if one of the mods deems it to be. Just a jest in good fun.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain?
I'm 11 and half years old.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Patrick White was a pretty terrible 1st round pick too. 25th overall but ends up going straight to Germany after University and meddled over there for 8 years until retiring. From a Canucks perspective though he ended up being part of the deal that somehow netted Christian Erhoff and San Jose was left "holding the bag" so to speak.

Patrick White (b.1989) hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Sharks Acquire C Patrick White and D Daniel Rahimi from Canucks
Sharks got a 2nd rounder who ended up being Chris Tierney, who along with other spare parts is now Erik Karlsson.

Iirc at the time the trade was made to clear space for Heatley.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't necessarily like to deem Yakupov a bust. He's more of a case of ranked too high, rushed into the league and poorly developed. But he also never seemed comfortable in the NHL. I like to also say that's the same case for Patrik Stefan.

Alexandre Daigle is the prime definition of a bust.

By the way am aware of this being after 2005.

Gotta go with Gilbert Brule.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
It’s a good list imo. Also shoutout to Cam Barker for not making the 2005 cut off but being absolutely useless outside of like 2 years.

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
15. Ellerby
14. Siemens
13. McIlrath
12. Campbell
11. Gormley
10. Mueller
9. Dal Colle
8. Glennie
7. Brule
6. Hammil
5. D.Strome
4. Hickey
3. G.Reinhart
2. Filatov
1. Yakupov

I'd have R. Strome in there as well.

Philippe Paradis has to be in there somewhere. Granted he was picked late in the 1st round but he never played a single NHL game and his only utility was that he was flipped to the Leafs for Jiri Tlusty. Even in the AHL he wasn't great - 66 points over all or part of 7 seasons

lol how does a guy who was picked 27th belong on a list with guys picked 1-10? There are multiple guys drafted in the bottom 20's-early second round who never make it. What a bizarre choice.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Sharks got a 2nd rounder who ended up being Chris Tierney, who along with other spare parts is now Erik Karlsson.

Iirc at the time the trade was made to clear space for Heatley.

Pretty sure it was just White and Rahimi that went the Sharks way, no second rounder. Either way, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Canucks got some value out of White, despite him amounting to basically nothing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It should pretty much focus on top 10 picks. Because messing up one of those is huge. Past that, the odds aren't that great to get an impact NHLer.

Any list would have to include Yakupov, Filatov, Scott Glennie, G. Reinhart, Zach Hamil, and McIlrath. I'd probably add Kyle Beach and Duncan Siemens who were drafted at 11.

Reactions: Tampbear

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku

I was gonna nominate A.J Thelen, but he just misses the cut, being drafted in 2004.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Pretty sure it was just White and Rahimi that went the Sharks way, no second rounder. Either way, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Canucks got some value out of White, despite him amounting to basically nothing.
Kinda went to the Sharks. Sj never intended on signing either plauer and got the 2nd as compensation.

I don't know if Vancouver would have also gotten a 2nd if they weren't signed, but getting Ehrhoff was hige for their cup run team and SJ got a draft pick out of salary they needed to shed. Not a great trade for DW because it helped a rival, but at least the pick became an nhler with value.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
There is a plausible chance that some posters on this board are better hockey players than Tyler biggs. Biggs was a 3rd line ECHL player. He is a 3rd/4th line British hockey league player. Any one who is playing division 2 hockey here or has played, will most likely have been a better player than him. He is very lucky to be making an earning from playing hockey.

My favorite part about the Biggs pick is that everyone kept saying that he had a really high floor even if his cieling was limited. All you heard was that his floor is an elite 3rd liner you could win with. I guess scouts forgot to mention that they forgot to add "in the EIHL".

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Funny part is the fact that you’re talking about his video (good or bad) and taken time to reply to this thread is contributing to his ‘buzz’/views

Maybe the buzz but I've been able to skip the watching and just read the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00