15 Worst NHL Draft Busts Since 2005

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Could you please post the list in text form. Thank you.

*Edit*
I'd try to squeeze in Angelo Esposito and Kirill Kabanov, though their stock fell dramatically before the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I remember Brule. Guy was supposed to be a good 1 coming out of the 2005 draft. That obviously didn't happen. Just goes to show you ca go high in the draft and still not have a good career.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
To early and to high for Strome. 5 points in 9 games for the Hawks. He may never live upto his draft spot, but if he becomes a 30-40 point 3rd liner, while certainly not what you want out of his draft spot is a far cry from 5th biggest bust since 05'

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Biggest "bust" takes into account things like draft position, hype, peers in the draft etc. so he might not be the biggest "bust" in that sense but I don't think there's a worse player taken in the 1st round than Tyler Biggs. Guy can't even stick in the American league. He went over to the British League (lol) and had 9 points in 24 games before going back to the East Coast league...I challenge you to find me a worse player taken in the 1st round than Tyler Biggs, hell even the 2nd or 3rd rounds....

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
15. Ellerby
14. Siemens
13. McIlrath
12. Campbell
11. Gormley
10. Mueller
9. Dal Colle
8. Glennie
7. Brule
6. Hammil
5. D.Strome
4. Hickey
3. G.Reinhart
2. Filatov
1. Yakupov
If that reeps' list, then I definitely disagree with Strome being that high personally.

Reactions: 21 Savage

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Biggest "bust" takes into account things like draft position, hype, peers in the draft etc. so he might not be the biggest "bust" in that sense but I don't think there's a worse player taken in the 1st round than Tyler Biggs. Guy can't even stick in the American league. He went over to the British League (lol) and had 9 points in 24 games before going back to the East Coast league...I challenge you to find me a worse player taken in the 1st round than Tyler Biggs, hell even the 2nd or 3rd rounds....

2014 #23 overall : Conner Bleackley.. hated that pick the moment Joe Sakic drafted him.. He was the only 1st rd pick that year that never played in the NHL. Pains me to this day we could have had David Pastrnak

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Zach Phillips, drafted 6 picks after Biggs has had a surprisingly similar career. He even played for the same team in EIHL before bouncing to Austrian League. I have no idea how ECHL, British and Austrian leagues compare in quality though.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Philippe Paradis has to be in there somewhere. Granted he was picked late in the 1st round but he never played a single NHL game and his only utility was that he was flipped to the Leafs for Jiri Tlusty. Even in the AHL he wasn't great - 66 points over all or part of 7 seasons

Reactions: Stingrays

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Strome still has a chance to do something. The rest of them will probably never play an NHL game again.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
To early and to high for Strome. 5 points in 9 games for the Hawks. He may never live upto his draft spot, but if he becomes a 30-40 point 3rd liner, while certainly not what you want out of his draft spot is a far cry from 5th biggest bust since 05'

I think its worth taking into context the strength of that draft and the players taken around him, as unfair as that is to him personally.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
As much as we get credit for drafting great we also drafted these 1st round busts: Logan MacMillan, Mark Mitera & Peter Holland. In a 2007 redraft MacMillan would not be drafted anywhere in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->