NHL COVID player testing updates- JUL 27th Update. No new cases recorded. Total still 45

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I could 80% do without in the real world.

Perhaps so but unfortunately the link between the senses smell and taste is very strong - one could argue that they are actually almost one sense. So if you lose sense of smell, sense of taste will be heavily impaired.

Hypothetically speaking, I'm with you in that I'd rather lose both of the above than one of hearing or sight.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
In Canada about 45k people die a year from smoking. In the USA , 48Ok. Nearly one out of every 5 deaths from both countries. Never mind chewing tobacco. Are they taking all those off the shelves or do they just keep raising the taxes on them so they can make more money off people who are “free” to choose how they live their lives? I think not. As the Wu-tang clan says “Cash Rules Everything Around Me”.

Are you suggesting the US government has done nothing about smoking? Because if so, you're wrong.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Perhaps so but unfortunately the link between the senses smell and taste is very strong - one could argue that they are actually almost one sense. So if you lose sense of smell, sense of taste will be heavily impaired.

Hypothetically speaking, I'm with you in that I'd rather lose both of the above than one of hearing or sight.
Im with you, i was being a bit funny. Especially in a dressing room filled with hockey gear wishing there were an off button for the nose.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Post-Dispatch on Saturday that the positive results to date aren’t necessarily surprising.
“I think it’s fair to say that our experience to this point is consistent with what we expected,” he said via email. “We didn't go down this road thinking we were not going to see any positives. Of course we were going to see positives.
“Especially given that we had players spread all across the globe and facing various conditions with respect to their individual behaviors, their methods of conditioning, their respective locations and their various modes of travel.

Four Blues players, one coach have tested positive for COVID-19, per source

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Furthermore, it's not just the mortality that we should keep in mind. It's also the long-lasting effects that many survivors have: significantly impaired lung functions is one. One of my friends got that one for several months after "healing" from corona.

Also, as a logistical point that is on top of any mortalities and long-term effects, it must be absolutely great to try and run a league when a good number of the players/coaches/etc. end up in hospital, many of then in IC for x number of days and weeks.

Reactions: dennis90

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Furthermore, it's not just the mortality that we should keep in mind. It's also the long-lasting effects that may survivors have: significantly impaired lung functions is one. One of my friends got that one for several months after "healing" from corona.

Also, as a logistical point that is on top of any mortalities and long-term effects, it must be absolutely great to try and run a league when a good number of the players/coaches/etc. end up in hospital, many of then in IC for x number of days and weeks.

Players/staff are less likely to get Covid 19 while playing (bubble) then in their current circumstances.

Reactions: CanuckCity

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Players/staff are less likely to get Covid 19 while playing (bubble) then in their current circumstances.

Sure...as long as that bubble doesn't burst.

I wouldn't count on all of the players to stay put and in the bubble. We've already seen numerous examples to the contrary and in numerous different high-level sports.

Reactions: 42

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
How convenient: let's assume that all the oldest ones there, especially the coaches, nicely fall into the 40-60 year category. Newsflash for you, rocket scientist: they don't all fall into that category. There are older people there as well.

How convenient: let's find a nice low number like 0.3% and call it a day. Newsflash: your number may not be all that correct: Italy: coronavirus death rate by age | Statista

Plus, younger people who have pre-existing medical conditions are at higher risk. There are NHLers with medical conditions, many of them, as far as I know.

And....they are all at least as much at risk not in the bubble.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula

I wouldn't count on all of the players to stay put and in the bubble. We've already seen numerous examples to the contrary and in numerous different high-level sports.
Unless they use a physical bubble, I am doubtful every single NHL player will have the needed self-discipline to practice all the necessary measures all the time while the playoffs are going on. On a positive note, infection rates in Toronto and Edmonton are relatively low.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Unless they use a physical bubble, I am doubtful every single NHL player will have the needed self-discipline to practice all the necessary measures all the time while the playoffs are going on.

I won't argue with the fact that they won't stay in the bubble, since I don't think we'll get anywhere. I believe they will be less likely to leave the bubble though then at home.

Even if they do leave the bubble though, they're risk of infection in the hub cities is drastically lower then the average city they're coming from.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Guys, you're going to get COVID-19 eventually, too.

Sure but flattening the curve is what it is all about right?

I haven't followed the NHL players and the NHL case closely enough but one of the main reasons Vancouver didn't get to be a hub city is that health protocols would be paramount over playing.

I guess we will see how it rolls out.

Cross your fingers.

Intense

Jan 18, 2011
new-york-attorneys.blogspot.com
Not only are you ignorant but you lack basic reasoning skills. Your reports have told you about all the NHL players' existing medical conditions, eh? You know every single NHL player has no underlying medical condition based on the fact they are pro athletes?

And on top of that you use my handle name to try to discredit my post. You don't even realize how ignorant you are because you are also arrogant. Not a good combination.

You are asking a lot of questions but providing zero answer. So here is your chance, go ahead and tell us what are the probabilities of a player dying. Show us your reasoning and comprehension skills, which from your position grants you the right to judge other's. Wondering who is the ignorant and arrogant one between the two of us.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
You are asking a lot of questions but providing zero answer. So here is your chance, go ahead and tell us what are the probabilities of a player dying. Show us your reasoning and comprehension skills, which from your position grants you the right to judge other's. Wondering who is the ignorant and arrogant one between the two of us.
750 players
.2% mortality rate
If everyone got it, thats ~78% someone dies.
1-((1-.002)^750)=77.7

If 500 players get it, that's ~63% chance.

Two things:

1) it seems the severity of your individual case is connected to how large of a load you get. If the nhl did nothing players who sit next to panting COVID carriers in stale locker rooms and buses and airplanes would get large loads of live virus.
2) if I were a betting man I'd bet no player is going to die, because the NHL would shut down the season before it got anywhere close to spreading rampant around the league (unless someone dies before that)

Last edited:

Intense

Jan 18, 2011
new-york-attorneys.blogspot.com
750 players
.2% mortality rate
1-((1-.002)^750)=77.7

Two things:

1) it seems the severity of your individual case is connected to how large of a load you get. If the nhl did nothing players who sit next to panting COVID carriers in stale locker rooms and buses and airplanes would get large loads of live virus.
2) if I were a betting man I'd bet player is going to die, because the NHL would shut down the season before it got anywhere close to spreading rampant around the league (unless someone dies before that)

I don't know where you got the 0,2% mortality rate but with that kind of number, the probability of having someone die out of 750 players getting it is 100%.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
750 players
.2% mortality rate
1-((1-.002)^750)=77.7

Two things:

2) if I were a betting man I'd bet no player is going to die, because the NHL would shut down the season before it got anywhere close to spreading rampant around the league (unless someone dies before that)

The .2% mortality is largely considering many people with pre-existing conditions. I would assume very few NHLers fall under that category.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sure but flattening the curve is what it is all about right?

I haven't followed the NHL players and the NHL case closely enough but one of the main reasons Vancouver didn't get to be a hub city is that health protocols would be paramount over playing.

I guess we will see how it rolls out.

Cross your fingers.
The curve has been flattened. It’s not getting more flat. Time to get back to normal!

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
It's not death people should be fearing with professional athletes but rather long term lunge/respiratory damage/effects.
Generally speaking, the long term effects are only happening to the people who have serious symptoms. So again, it will be the minority but there are a few with diabetes and other health conditions that are at increased risk.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The curve has been flattened. It’s not getting more flat. Time to get back to normal!
Is this real life. Daily cases going up all of the time. Records being broken. Fauci estimating 100k new cases a day soon. This is wave two son, which is way past the point of the curve being flat. I know you want sports and life to be normal and ''gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme' but how about we stick to the facts instead of made up bullcrap.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
9 more new cases announced by NHL. Total now sitting at 35.

8 new since Phase 2 started (23 total now) and 1 extra outside of Phase 2 (12 total now)

NHL announces nine additional positive COVID-19 cases in latest round of testing - TSN.ca
I wish these kinds of announcements would include ‘recovered’ cases where the player has run the course of isolation and able to return to full participation. Reading the league’s proposed protocol, they’ll be out for a week to a week and a half most of the time. Some of the guys in that first group should already be cleared to return. What is Auston Matthew’s status for example?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I wish these kinds of announcements would include ‘recovered’ cases where the player has run the course of isolation and able to return to full participation. Reading the league’s proposed protocol, they’ll be out for a week to a week and a half most of the time. Some of the guys in that first group should already be cleared to return. What is Auston Matthew’s status for example?

Ya I find it weird they aren't saying if they are asymptomatic either, keep them isolated for a week and who cares if they are

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad