NHL COVID player testing updates- JUL 27th Update. No new cases recorded. Total still 45

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
I'm willing to bet decent money that not a single NHL player will die from COVID, even if they all get it.

I'm also willing to bet that not a single NHL player will have complications from the virus.

You're being a bunch of scared of everything grandmas guys.

Some of the very first Americans to be hospitalized were healthy fit young men stationed in Japan.

Several cases of lung scarring and (Likely Permanent) diminished lung capacity in a relatively small overall caseload.

Intense

Jan 18, 2011
new-york-attorneys.blogspot.com
That's a pretty ignorant statement. Your confidence is based on what, wishful thinking?

The irony of you calling me ignorant. :laugh:

How many official reports have you read ? I've read the official epidemiological reports from Canada, USA, Japan, Spain, UK, Italy and Sweden. That is what my confidence is based on.

What your opinion regarding my statement is based on ? Air ? Reading the titles from corporate newspapers ?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
The irony of you calling me ignorant. :laugh:

How many official reports have you read ? I've read the official epidemiological reports from Canada, USA, Japan, Spain, UK, Italy and Sweden. That is what my confidence is based on.

What your opinion regarding my statement is based on ? Air ? Reading the titles from corporate newspapers ?
Then you need to improve your comprehension skills. Show me the report that lists zero deaths from COVID-19 in the age group that NHL players fall in.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If anything, players should actually feel safer with RTP. They are getting tested daily and in a health minded bubble. Those who have already tested positive, are probably thankful of knowing early on that they have it before more overt symptoms develop. Wouldn't necessarily be the case in general society.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Not that arguing with someone from Uranus is something I consider worthwhile, but I'll play along. Go read the reports I told you, they're available online for everyone that cares.

The number of people aged less than 40 is ridiculously low. When from that ridiculously low number you take out the ones that had other medical conditions, you are left with basically nothing. Playing the odds, if you have roughly 750 ultra fit players under 40 with a death rate of let's say 0.0001% percent, you do the math and it gets you to 0.00075 death for the entire NHL, assuming they all get it. So, zero death for all intent and purposes.

That's basic math, but go ahead and pretend you can judge my comprehension skills, idiot.

Have you realized that there are other people also involved with the teams, many of whom much older than the players. Coaches for example.

You got pwned here pal. Just pack it in and leave before further embarrassment.

Intense

Jan 18, 2011
Then you need to improve your comprehension skills. Show me the report that lists zero deaths from COVID-19 in the age group that NHL players fall in.

Not that arguing with someone from Uranus is something I consider worthwhile, but I'll play along. Go read the reports I told you, they're available online for everyone that cares.

The number of people aged less than 40 is ridiculously low. When from that ridiculously low number you take out the ones that had other medical conditions, you are left with basically nothing. Playing the odds, if you have roughly 750 ultra fit players under 40 with a death rate of let's say 0.0001% percent, you do the math and it gets you to 0.00075 death for the entire NHL, assuming they all get it. So, zero death for all intent and purposes.

That's basic math, but go ahead and pretend you can judge my comprehension skills.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Those who are 100% certain hockey will be played soon....
FE695868-7332-4C2D-9EE0-1719AF776915.jpeg

Intense

Jan 18, 2011
Have you realized that there are other people also involved with the teams, many of whom much older than the players. Coaches for example.

You got pwned here pal. Just pack it in and leave before further embarrassment.

Ok, let's do the math on this. Death rate is still less than 1% for 40-60 years old and that is with CONFIRMED cases. Asymptomatic cases bring that death rate down to way less than 1%.

So let's say 0.3% death rate X 90 coaches = 0.27 death or zero if we round up the numbers. That is still assuming that they ALL get it, which they likely won't.

So your point was ?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
agree with this. time to get back to normal. if ppl wanna play corona virus and stay home and wear a mask go ahead. im not willing to live like that over something that hardly kills anyone who isnt alrdy about to die.

Well then, put on your red hockey jersey and get out there and live.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I'm willing to bet decent money that not a single NHL player will die from COVID, even if they all get it.

I'm also willing to bet that not a single NHL player will have complications from the virus.

Despite elderly being vulnerable, they arent only ones who have complications.

While mist nhlers are healthy, their are some who dont have perfect health and have conditions such as cancer or have diabetes. Jay bouwmeester had heart issues he didnt even know about.

Covid despite originally being thought of as mostly respiratory actually causes many deaths through cardiovascular system and clots.

There are nhl players with diabetes and recovering from cancer who could have possible complications if they got it. The majority wouldnt even feel symptoms probably.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

That's basic math, but go ahead and pretend you can judge my comprehension skills.
Some of those ultra fit players have some of the biggest risk factors though such as diabetes. Being a skilled athlete doesnt mean you are i perfect health. Heck jay bouwmeesters heart suddenly stopped in the middle of a game and he was in amazing shape.

I do think the bubble makes it relatively safe and they arent 100% safe at home anyways, but there isnt a 0% guaranteed death rate.

Reactions: Serenity

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Ok, let's do the math on this. Death rate is still less than 1% for 40-60 years old and that is with CONFIRMED cases. Asymptomatic cases bring that death rate down to way less than 1%.

So let's say 0.3% death rate X 90 coaches = 0.27 death or zero if we round up the numbers. That is still assuming that they ALL get it, which they likely won't.

So your point was ?

How convenient: let's assume that all the oldest ones there, especially the coaches, nicely fall into the 40-60 year category. Newsflash for you, rocket scientist: they don't all fall into that category. There are older people there as well.

How convenient: let's find a nice low number like 0.3% and call it a day. Newsflash: your number may not be all that correct: Italy: coronavirus death rate by age | Statista

Plus, younger people who have pre-existing medical conditions are at higher risk. There are NHLers with medical conditions, many of them, as far as I know.

Reactions: weslox

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
I'm sure you have a bunch of reputable sources telling you that ? Or not...
I have one single direct first hand source.. conversations with an Air Force physician stationed in Japan. I’ve known him since he was a kid. I trust him. His family politics tend to lean republican and he and his mom are 100% convinced that these cases were hushed up for political reasons under the guise of protecting operational readiness status. (Hmmm, oddly Similar thing happened w the USS Theodore Roosevelt)

Late last year he and his wife did funeral planning for their youngest child because they didn’t think he was gonna live from “this weird new pneumonia” that that was moving through the base hospital. He got sick, as did his wife. I can’t remember if their oldest kid got sick or not.

But you don’t know me. I could be making this crazy story up, right?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula

Not only are you ignorant but you lack basic reasoning skills. Your reports have told you about all the NHL players' existing medical conditions, eh? You know every single NHL player has no underlying medical condition based on the fact they are pro athletes?

And on top of that you use my handle name to try to discredit my post. You don't even realize how ignorant you are because you are also arrogant. Not a good combination.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

So your point was ?

0.2 is the rate for 20-40, from above link
0.2 x 750 = 1.5 deaths, if it was 0.1 then just under 1 death, if they all got it

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

This might be the dumbest opinion in the entire thread.

No wonder America is so f***ed.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013

Oh, we're looking at Italy one of the first real hard hit places for the virus. Here is a few questions then...

What % of Italians do you think aged 20-40 were not tested, but were positive?
Do you think the average Italian aged 20-40 is as healthy as the average NHL player?
Do you think there has been no progress made in how we're treating Covid 19 patients (especially capacity to treat vs Italy's outbreak)?
Do you think that NHL players if sick will not get higher level of medical treatment then an average citizen at the start of the pandemic?
Do you think NHL players are going to be more safe in a bubble, or out in society like they currently are?

FWIW the average age of NHL players (~27) while this does ignore coaches/trainers etc, it drastically weights the numbers closer to .1% rather then .3% in the link.

Edit: There are varying stats out there, because testing is so inconsistent and has been since the beginning of the pandemic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad